PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!  (Read 4404 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

First, I think the Pennsylvania law is overly restrictive.

Second, in the last two months, I've:

1.  Been called by (Democratic) DA's Office to verify that I signed the Republican Committee member's nominating petition.  (I did.)

2.  Robocalled by my (Democratic) state rep to see if I had ID to vote.

3.  Been called by some Republicans to see if they could use me as a poll watcher to check ID's.  (I cannot sit 13 hours, so I declined.)

4.  Had an actually nonpartisan flyer on my door telling me that I'd need ID to vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

The PA voter ID law is certainly more restrictive than Canada's. PA appears to only have one of the three prongs Canada uses to verify, and that is a government-issued photo id. Canada allows for two non-photo options as well.

It is actually easier to get welfare benefits in PA that it is to vote, at least in terms of ID and residency.

There is a need for verification of voter's ID, but this law is too draconian.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »

The PA voter ID law is certainly more restrictive than Canada's. PA appears to only have one of the three prongs Canada uses to verify, and that is a government-issued photo id. Canada allows for two non-photo options as well.

It is actually easier to get welfare benefits in PA that it is to vote, at least in terms of ID and residency.

It would seem more natural to make a uniform standard for ID whether for voting or state benefits.

Easily so. 

Consider this.  I've voted in the same polling station for 13 years.  People there know me, and I them.  There is a record of my signature there.  I will have to show ID this time. 

If I lose my driver's license, I cannot vote, in spite of the fact that I have two signed credit cards, a signed lease and numerous utility bills in my name, a signed bank card, a signed voter registration card, a signed library card, and signed verification of my IQ range.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

It would seem more natural to make a uniform standard for ID whether for voting or state benefits.

Easily so. 

Consider this.  I've voted in the same polling station for 13 years.  People there know me, and I them.  There is a record of my signature there.  I will have to show ID this time. 

If I lose my driver's license, I cannot vote, in spite of the fact that I have two signed credit cards, a signed lease and numerous utility bills in my name, a signed bank card, a signed voter registration card, a signed library card, and signed verification of my IQ range.

The law permits you to use a passport, and/or vote on a provisional ballot.

I don't have a passport.  Smiley

What is needed for a provisional ballot?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies