Wildfires turn toward Colorado Springs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wildfires turn toward Colorado Springs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wildfires turn toward Colorado Springs  (Read 1035 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: June 26, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/27/us-usa-wildfires-idUSBRE85L1DD20120627

I have friends in the Colorado Springs area.  I hope evacuation efforts are effective, and we should wish everyone there the best, including posters on this forum who may be from the region.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:45 PM »

Nathan, a friend of mine in the region said this evening that, when the winds shifted, wind speeds were gusting up to 65 mph.  He is posting pics on his FB now which show houses on the outer edge of Colorado Springs being consumed by huge blazes.  I think it's very difficult at the moment, and it's nighttime, making the evacuation and other efforts all the more difficult.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »

And, on top of it all, I25 is also closed.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57:47 PM »

One division of FEMA is the U.S. Fire Administration.  I think they provide some firefighter training and offer various kinds of coordination assistance and so on, but I don't know how much actual firefighting they do.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »

There's also been fires in Utah, including in Saratoga Springs, home of Mayor Mia Love (who is running for Congress, but did what any decent person would do and stayed to help her town, rather than going to a GOP big-wig fundraiser for her).

Yes, the Utah wildfires have been terrible too and have caused death, not just home destruction.  A salute to Mayor Love.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »

Inks, that picture is amazing and terrifying.  The people of CoSprings are in my thoughts.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:02:53 PM »

I think the one death I read about in Utah may have been a firefighter, but I'm not certain.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies