How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:48:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: impact President Obama's approval ratings in the coming days/weeks ?
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals rise
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals sink
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals not changing
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals rise
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals sink
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals not changing
Reform upheld/Approvals rise
Reform upheld/Approvals sink
Reform upheld/Approvals not changing
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...  (Read 19337 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »

DemocratCare

Born Mar. 21, 2010
Died Jan. 21, 2013

Age 2 years, 10 months.

R.I.P.

Personally, I think Roberts did something Machiavellian here.  He upholds a despised law and makes a tax of it.  The campaign commericials write themselves.

Denial isn't just a river in egypt........
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2012, 11:23:17 AM by magbar anti-American national or club soccer aficionadoes »

Arrogance of Euronews! I mean, show some thing about ducks in Lodz instead of Obama's speech.... the arrogance!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »

And Romney's support of the mandate is mentioned in the President's speech.

Sometimes this party really likes to shoot itself in the foot...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »

At least Roberts stated that this would be "a new tax" so that's clear. 

I was under the impression that Roberts hated Obama because he voted against his confirmation.

Perhaps Roberts wants to somehow force Obama to lose re-election, which could very well happen.

Senior citizens will still be upset about universal health care, Romney will promise to defund it or remove it. 

The economy will still slow down, now that businesses realize they will be paying more in taxes. 

Overall, I think this still hurts Obama amongst swing voters.  The angry sentiments of 2010 will still resonate in 2012 based on anti-Health care tea partiers. 

This decision will galvanize the lagging Tea Party movement once again.  This would only help Romney's growing support against Obama.

Pretty much this.  The signature effort of the Obama administration (in terms of domestic policy) is a massive tax increase for a program people hate.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »

Lmao at Romney's response.......the man has literally no credibility when it comes to healthcare.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »

The Medicaid expansion would have offered health insurance coverage to 16 million people. Now states apparently can make up their own minds whether or not to accept the expansion – and that means if Florida, Texas and other big states knock it back, then there will be millions of Americans who will miss out on the healthcare reforms.

Then they can simply go be a drain in some other state.

Or, if you're really lucky, they can get catastrophically ill without health insurance, require vast amounts of emergency care done pro bono by the existing healthcare system (and thus, ultimately at your expense), then be unable to work afterwards. Because then they wouldn't be a drain at all.

Mathematics shows that uncompensated ER care is far cheaper than Obamacare on a per year basis.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »

I mean, I don't even know where Lodz is! Is that Poland or the Ukraine? Or am I thinking of Lvov? Or is it Lviv? Was that part of interwar Poland? Wait, I think Lodz is in Poland. Fine, but still, I'm not even entirely certain where Lodz is!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

My boy Roberts not being a partisan, eh?  That's what I was hoping for when he became CJ.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »

At least Roberts stated that this would be "a new tax" so that's clear.  

I was under the impression that Roberts hated Obama because he voted against his confirmation.

Perhaps Roberts wants to somehow force Obama to lose re-election, which could very well happen.

Senior citizens will still be upset about universal health care, Romney will promise to defund it or remove it.  

The economy will still slow down, now that businesses realize they will be paying more in taxes.  

Overall, I think this still hurts Obama amongst swing voters.  The angry sentiments of 2010 will still resonate in 2012 based on anti-Health care tea partiers.  

This decision will galvanize the lagging Tea Party movement once again.  This would only help Romney's growing support against Obama.

Wow, good to know you hold the court in such high moral esteem.

Seriously, you think the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States voted to uphold one of the most important laws in history as part of a dastardly plan to seek revenge on the President who voted not to confirm him several years ago, even though he was ultimately confirmed?

Seems legit.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »

I mean, I don't even know where Lodz is! Is that Poland or the Ukraine? Or am I thinking of Lvov? Or is it Lviv? Was that part of interwar Poland? Wait, I think Lodz is in Poland. Fine, but still, I'm not even entirely certain where Lodz is!

Lodz is west of Warsaw, roughly south of G'dansk.  I thing it either on, or west of, the Vistula.

This is a victory for Obama, based on his signature issue being not being a violation of the Constitution.

The strength of the victory is weakened by his signature issue being a massive tax increase to fund an unpopular program, and with states being able to opt out of it.
ajb
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »

Lodz is west of Warsaw, roughly south of G'dansk.  I thing it either on, or west of, the Vistula.

This is a victory for Obama, based on his signature issue being not being a violation of the Constitution.

The strength of the victory is weakened by his signature issue being a massive tax increase to fund an unpopular program, and with states being able to opt out of it.
Most individual provisions of the ACA (other than the mandate) are in fact quite popular -- like making sure that people can get insurance when they have pre-existing conditions, and allowing people to keep their kids on their insurance until they're 25. I'd expect that, with the Supreme Court out of the picture, the Democrats will return to those issues, and to the interesting question of what the Republican alternative is.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »

Most individual provisions of the ACA (other than the mandate) are in fact quite popular -- like making sure that people can get insurance when they have pre-existing conditions, and allowing people to keep their kids on their insurance until they're 25. I'd expect that, with the Supreme Court out of the picture, the Democrats will return to those issues, and to the interesting question of what the Republican alternative is.

The Republicans don't have an alternative. This was their plan, but since the Democrats co-opted it, they now reflexively oppose it.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »

They don't have one.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »

They don't have one.

I think it's tort reform.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »

I was just taking my daughter to the library and heard Rush Limbaugh on the radio.  He sees this pretty much as I do:  Good news for the GOP's election prospects.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »

I was just taking my daughter to the library and heard Rush Limbaugh on the radio.  He sees this pretty much as I do:  Good news for the GOP's election prospects.

Rush sees everything as good news for the GOP's chances.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »

Rush sees everything as good news for the GOP's chances.

Haha, pretty much.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »

Smart Democrats must see that they were scammed:

The "moderate" justice (Kennedy) would strike down the WHOLE law, but the "conservative" chief justice rides to the rescue?

Now the Democrats can't campaign against the Court, but have to defend DemocratCare.  It's a disaster.

Expect more white Democrats to skip the Charlotte convention as they try to save their hides.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

I can see this leading to a surge in support for Romney, in fact.  Conservatives might have needed some urging to get on board had SCOTUS done the dirty work.  But, now that it has upheld the law, electing Romney is the last hope of the right to eliminate Obamacare.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »

I can see this leading to a surge in support for Romney, in fact.  Conservatives might have needed some urging to get on board had SCOTUS done the dirty work.  But, now that it has upheld the law, electing Romney is the last hope of the right to eliminate Obamacare.

I wouldn't expect a surge, but some shifting toward Romney.

Upheld under the commerce clause would have been a complete victory.  Upheld as a tax might end up being a tactical victory, but a strategic defeat.

The Medicare part might also damage it.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »

wow, the spin in this thread is making me dizzy.

Apparently what seems good for Obama now is actually bad in the long run (?), although I doubt many of the conservatives here would be spinning a struck down bill as ultimately bad for Romney.

Republicans who hated Obamacare still hate it and will vote against the president and his healthcare plan in November. But the SCOTUS is the only branch of Government in this country that has any amount of credibility these days, and today's ruling puts Obama on moral high ground. The idea that Obamacare is unconstitutional has been one of the most frequently used arguments against the bill. Today, the highest court in the land said that it IS constitutional. This sucks a lot of the wind out of the GOP's main argument, at least for moderates and swing voters.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »

Ooh, Justice Ginsburg for the win:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

Oooh, Ginsburg be trolling. I love it.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »

wow, the spin in this thread is making me dizzy.

Apparently what seems good for Obama now is actually bad in the long run (?), although I doubt many of the conservatives here would be spinning a struck down bill as ultimately bad for Romney.

You can't be talking about me, because I've been perfectly consistent.  Here's what I said -- right here, on page 2 of this thread -- before the news broke:

"If the SC strikes down DemocratCare, then the GOP loses one of its biggest voter-mobilization arguments -- that "we must elect Republicans to the WH and Congress who will repeal it".

"Meanwhile, I think the Democrats' base will be newly inspired.

"So, ironically, the GOP should hope it's upheld while the Democrats hope it's struck down."

Mine isn't spin.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »

Lmao, Ginsburg is a troll.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies