How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:24:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Poll
Question: impact President Obama's approval ratings in the coming days/weeks ?
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals rise
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals sink
Reform thrown out completely/Approvals not changing
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals rise
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals sink
Reform thrown partially out/Approvals not changing
Reform upheld/Approvals rise
Reform upheld/Approvals sink
Reform upheld/Approvals not changing
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: How will the Supreme Court's Health Care Reform ruling ...  (Read 19327 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
« edited: June 28, 2012, 07:47:29 PM by WhyteRain »

Let me rephrase: The Court ruled that the government cannot force anyone to purchase a product. That is the definition of a mandate. What's at issue here is that you are not being forced to buy health insurance, but you will be taxed if you don't.

Also, I read an interesting article that I think some people here might enjoy.

"Chief Justice Roberts Is A Genius"
http://whitehouse12.com/2012/06/28/chief-justice-roberts-is-a-genius/

Come on. These anti ACA people can't seriously expect us to believe that they would rather have Roberts do what he did rather then join 4 other justices in striking the whole thing down.

That's what I've been saying all day, even before the decision was announced.  And I was one of the many people here who picked "Option 3 -- The whole thing struck down".

This is looking like a Machiavellian decision by Roberts:  He agrees with the conservatives on all the critical issues -- like mandate invalid under Commerce Clause and 10th Amendment precludes Medicare expansion -- and then leaves Obama and the Democrats to defend the most unpopular law since the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.

If he had done as I and most of the "experts" thought and struck down ACA, then Obama and the 'crats could go on the offensive against the "rightwing Republican court".  What he did was robbed them of that issue and stuck them with an ugly tarbaby to defend.  He resusitated the issue that most inflamed the voters in 2010.  No one's going to give a damn now about what Romney did at Bain Capital.  

[modify:]  Btw FWIW, left-wing TV host Ed Schultz agrees with me that this was a tactical victory but a strategic defeat for Democrats:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/06/28/ed_schultz_obamacare_decision_helps_mitt_romney.html
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »

The other point, about the "poor person in Alabama." The ACA also provides for money to encourage states to expand the coverage offered by Medicaid for people up to 133% of the poverty line. The Supreme Court struck down the part of the ACA which would have penalized states for not expanding medicaid, but left standing the part of the law providing generous subsidies to states for Medicaid expansion (100% of costs now, eventually coming down to 90%).
In other words, after 2014, if that "poor person in Alabama" isn't covered by Medicaid, it won't be because of Obama, but rather because the state of Alabama has decided to refuse the federal money that would have given her Medicaid.
Now, I suspect Alabama just might be dumb enough to turn down that money, but if they do, we'll know who to blame, right?

And you don't think that as part of some future DC budget deal, the Feds might not decrease their share to something less than 90%? I certainly do. so I won't blame States for being worried that the expanded Medicaid could turn into a budget trap.
ajb
United States

« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »

The other point, about the "poor person in Alabama." The ACA also provides for money to encourage states to expand the coverage offered by Medicaid for people up to 133% of the poverty line. The Supreme Court struck down the part of the ACA which would have penalized states for not expanding medicaid, but left standing the part of the law providing generous subsidies to states for Medicaid expansion (100% of costs now, eventually coming down to 90%).
In other words, after 2014, if that "poor person in Alabama" isn't covered by Medicaid, it won't be because of Obama, but rather because the state of Alabama has decided to refuse the federal money that would have given her Medicaid.
Now, I suspect Alabama just might be dumb enough to turn down that money, but if they do, we'll know who to blame, right?

And you don't think that as part of some future DC budget deal, the Feds might not decrease their share to something less than 90%? I certainly do. so I won't blame States for being worried that the expanded Medicaid could turn into a budget trap.
Ah, but are they worried that expanded Medicaid could turn into a budget trap, or that expanded Medicaid would give more health insurance to the working poor? Because they seem to view the latter as the real problem.
ajb
United States

« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »

Cooper v. Aaron?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

Let me rephrase: The Court ruled that the government cannot force anyone to purchase a product. That is the definition of a mandate. What's at issue here is that you are not being forced to buy health insurance, but you will be taxed if you don't.

Also, I read an interesting article that I think some people here might enjoy.

"Chief Justice Roberts Is A Genius"
http://whitehouse12.com/2012/06/28/chief-justice-roberts-is-a-genius/

Come on. These anti ACA people can't seriously expect us to believe that they would rather have Roberts do what he did rather then join 4 other justices in striking the whole thing down.

That's what I've been saying all day, even before the decision was announced.  And I was one of the many people here who picked "Option 3 -- The whole thing struck down".

This is looking like a Machiavellian decision by Roberts:  He agrees with the conservatives on all the critical issues -- like mandate invalid under Commerce Clause and 10th Amendment precludes Medicare expansion -- and then leaves Obama and the Democrats to defend the most unpopular law since the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.

If he had done as I and most of the "experts" thought and struck down ACA, then Obama and the 'crats could go on the offensive against the "rightwing Republican court".  What he did was robbed them of that issue and stuck them with an ugly tarbaby to defend.  He resusitated the issue that most inflamed the voters in 2010.  No one's going to give a damn now about what Romney did at Bain Capital.  

[modify:]  Btw FWIW, left-wing TV host Ed Schultz agrees with me that this was a tactical victory but a strategic defeat for Democrats:  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/06/28/ed_schultz_obamacare_decision_helps_mitt_romney.html

Look, this obviously wasn't a 100% victory for Democrats, but to claim that it was a victory for Republicans is pretty silly.
milhouse24
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »

I saw that the full ruling says that States will not be punished by the Fed if they opt out of the program, which many budget-strapped states will do.  Then the Fed is just taxing citizens living in states that won't provide the "universal package"

So basically, the states will still have "States Rights" when it comes to universal health care.

But citizens will still have to pay the federal tax (if there state does not offer premiums).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If someone does not want to buy a product, it is their individual right to refuse to do so. End of discussion. It's about liberty.

And you might be able to pass the mandate off as a tax, but it punishes people for choosing an option that the government doesn't like. How is that a good thing.

"If you do not buy an apple a day, you will be taxed." That is ridiculous.
"If you buy this unhealthly product, you will be taxed." Now that sounds a little less abstract.

Taxing someone for not having something is just so strange.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:50 PM »

If someone does not want to buy a product, it is their individual right to refuse to do so. End of discussion. It's about liberty.

And you might be able to pass the mandate off as a tax, but it punishes people for choosing an option that the government doesn't like. How is that a good thing.

"If you buy this unhealthly product, you will be taxed." Now that sounds a little less abstract.

Doesn't the government already give out tax credits for all sorts of things?  Can't you just think of the mandate as a tax on everyone, with the people who have health insurance getting an exemption (equivalent of a tax credit)?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Doesn't the government already give out tax credits for all sorts of things?  Can't you just think of the mandate as a tax on everyone, with the people who have health insurance getting an exemption (equivalent of a tax credit)?

Yes, that is the logical way of looking at it, but I sure hope Obama never articulates it that way...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »

I guess you could look at it that way, but it still wouldn't be the reality of the Obamacare situation.
ajb
United States

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

I guess you could look at it that way, but it still wouldn't be the reality of the Obamacare situation.

The analogy to excise taxes on alcohol and cigarettes is a good one, I think. Consumption of alcohol and tobacco are both legal and pervasive, but impose significant negative externalities. It would be misguided (and yes, a violation of liberty) to ban them outright just because of the harm that they do, but the excise taxes, in effect, capture some percentage of the added cost that the alcohol/tobacco consumption of some imposes on all of us (higher Medicare/Medicaid expenses, court costs, higher auto insurance premiums, etc).

Of the forty million-odd Americans who currently don't have health insurance, many would like to have it but have trouble affording it -- their employer doesn't offer it, they have a pre-existing condition that makes the cost of insurance prohibitive, whatever. Most of what the ACA does is to provide incentives that make insurance affordable for many of those people.

But there is a pool of people out there who can afford health insurance, but choose not to buy it, mostly younger people who are in good general health and are gambling that they'll never need it. Their choice not to buy health insurance imposes a negative externality on the rest of us, since our premiums are higher than they would be if there were more young healthy people buying health insurance.

The ACA's mandate penalty is targeted at those people (fairly precisely targeted, if you look at the details; http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/ftpdocs/113xx/doc11355/individual_mandate_penalties-04-22.pdf). Nobody is forced to buy health insurance, but a small number (perhaps 4 million out of the 40 million + without insurance; that includes dependents, so the number of people whose taxes will go up is even smaller) will have to pay a penalty for not having insurance. That penalty will amount to less money than buying insurance would, but will act as a marginal incentive to encourage those who can afford insurance to buy it. And that will help to keep the costs of insurance lower in the future than they would otherwise be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »

People with children get a discount on their taxes, so I'm effectively being taxed for *not* having children.  The government is taxing me for not having something.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »

But it is a discount from a tax on everyone.

Sure, they are effectively taxing you for not having something. But they are not officially doing it.

With Obamacare, there is no tax credit. There is just a tax.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS IS A GENIUS

Before you look to do harm to Chief Justice Roberts or his family, it’s important that you think carefully about the meaning – the true nature — of his ruling on Obama-care. The Left will shout that they won, that Obama-care was upheld and all the rest. Let them.

It will be a short-lived celebration.

Here’s what really occurred — payback. Yes, payback for Obama’s numerous, ill-advised and childish insults directed toward SCOTUS.

READ THE REST AT:  http://whitehouse12.com/2012/06/28/chief-justice-roberts-is-a-genius/
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2012, 09:34:45 AM »

3 people had "Reform upheld - Approvals rise"

Which seems to be the case, says Rasmussen.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »

Yup.  The same thing happened immediately after the passage of O'Care in 2010 -- Obama's approval numbers went up, about 4% for about 2 weeks.  Expect the same this time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »

It's funny how butthurt republicans got when Obama (correctly) predicted PPACA would be upheld. How they spun that into "threats" and "childish insults" is beyond me...
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »

Yup.  The same thing happened immediately after the passage of O'Care in 2010 -- Obama's approval numbers went up, about 4% for about 2 weeks.  Expect the same this time.

I decided to check Rasmussen's numbers:

Date        Strong Approve   Strong Disapprove   Total Approve  Total Disapprove
3/20/10
Date before
ACA passes      23%      (-21)      44%                    43%      (-14)    56%
3/26/10
A few days
later                31%      (-10)      41%                    49%       (-2)     51%
5/26/10
Two months
later                23%      (-22)      45%                    43%      (-14)    56%
11/02/10
Date before
2010 midterm  30%      (-15)      45%                    48%        (-3)    51%

6/25/12
Date before
law upheld       23%      (-21)      45%                    44%       (-10)   54%
6/30/12
Most
recent poll       26%      (-15)       41%                    50%       (+1)   49%

Given that the 2010 midterm was the greatest midterm election beatdown for a new President in generations (since 1922, and in 1922 the GOP had so many seats to spare that they didn't lose their House or Senate majority), how much are the polls "good news for Obama"?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »

Well according to Rasmussen Polling, which does kinda have a GOP Bias, he got a moderate ump in approval and in the Head-to-Head matchup. But then again Romney had been falling for about a week.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2012, 04:02:45 AM »

A new Reuters/Ipsos ONLINE poll shows Obamacare about evenly split (about 50% hate the overall law and 50% like it).

The mandate is still unpopular (39% vs. 61%), but the reforms within the law are awesomely popular (letting under-26-year-olds stay on their parents plans etc.)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/01/us-usa-campaign-healthcare-idUSBRE85S14820120701
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies