SCOTUS has made Mitt Romney's candidacy utterly worthless (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:41:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  SCOTUS has made Mitt Romney's candidacy utterly worthless (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS has made Mitt Romney's candidacy utterly worthless  (Read 10781 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »

I can only concur.

I always said Rick was more electable than Romney for precisely this reason. Mitt's just so easy to attack.

Ditto, except I've always said that Romney was the easiest GOP opponent for Obama to beat.  That's why the MSM made him the candidate.  (Santorum, because he's so socially conservative and sort of an economic-liberal, would have been the second-easiest for Obama to beat, which is why the MSM left him to last.)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 10:47:49 AM by WhyteRain »

Certain people in this thread seem to be forgetting that roughly 25-30% of the opposition to Obamacare, according to polls, comes from the left (people who want single-payer). Only about 40-45% of the nation opposes Obamacare from the right.

Obviously you're referring to me.  You suggest that a substantial number of the opponents of DemocratCare think the only problem with it is that it doesn't impose enough government control on people's health care decisions.  Here's the problem with your analysis:

The Florida poll shows that the percentage of people who disagree with DemocratCare (50%) is almost identical with the percentage that think it will make health care worse (47%) and that think it will make health care more expensive (51%).  http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=3c025172-d766-4ce7-928f-01f11c9c0671&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter  For your analysis to hold water, these figures would have to be far further apart.  Only 20% of respondents think DemocratCare will "make health care better" -- which is about the same percentage of Americans who self-identify as "liberals" and nearly all of whom would be in the 39% who supported the SCOTUS decision.  Only 12% think it will reduce health care costs.  (I also note that the Florida survey included only 61% white people; the Nov. 6th electorate will be substantially whiter than that.)

In other words, Obama and the Democratic hold on the Senate are dead.  Nearly every. single. one. of those 50% will be out to vote -- not for Romney, but against DemocratCare.  How many of the 39%, only one-third of whom (12% of 39%) think DemocratCare will lower their health care costs, are going to run to the polls to vote it up?

Landslide.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I recall someone else making exactly the same prediction in March, 2010, when DemocratCare was passed and signed into law.  They were right.  There was a jump of about 4% in favor for about two weeks. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True.  Romney is the very undeserving beneficiary of this. 
[/quote]
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »

The Florida poll shows that the percentage of people who disagree with DemocratCare (50%) is almost identical with the percentage that think it will make health care worse (47%) and that think it will make health care more expensive (51%).  http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=3c025172-d766-4ce7-928f-01f11c9c0671&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter  For your analysis to hold water, these figures would have to be far further apart.  Only 20% of respondents think DemocratCare will "make health care better" -- which is about the same percentage of Americans who self-identify as "liberals" and nearly all of whom would be in the 39% who supported the SCOTUS decision.  Only 12% think it will reduce health care costs.  (I also note that the Florida survey included only 61% white people; the Nov. 6th electorate will be substantially whiter than that.)

What you are neglecting is that for the most part, the people who think the ACA didn't go far enough believe that going to single payer will both improve the quality of health care and reduce its cost.

The most striking info from that poll is the following:

Should everyone in the United States be required to have health insurance?
RepublicansDemocratsIndependents
Yes13%59%35%
No86%39%58%
Not sure1%2%7%

Should insurance companies be able to deny health insurance to those who have pre-existing medical conditions?
RepublicansDemocratsIndependents
Yes27%6%14%
No68%85%80%
Not sure5%9%6%

It just goes to show that we have a nation of idiots, if so many people apparently think results would be desirable if we required insurance companies to issue insurance at will without requiring people to buy it.  That particular idiocy is somewhat more concentrated among Republicans than Democrats, but there is more than enough to go around.

You're sort of right.  We are a nation of idiots, mostly because the cultural elites want us that way.  I define "idiocy" as thinking that there is any such thing as "insurance for a pre-existing condition".  A pre-existing condition, when words meant things, is, by definition, non-insurable.  But I just heard a commercial featuring Mitt Romney -- the scion of both Harvard Business and Harvard Law Schools! -- saying that "we must provide insurance for pre-existing conditions".

So, tell your progressive friends not to worry:  Thanks to an intentionally mal-informed electorate, we'll have a two-tier, North Korean-style health care system sooner than they think.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies