Are people who refuse to buy health insurance freeloaders? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:11:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are people who refuse to buy health insurance freeloaders? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are people who refuse to buy health insurance freeloaders?  (Read 3327 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: June 29, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »

I'm not talking about people who legitimately can't afford it.  I'm talking about people who can afford the premiums but refuse to do so for whatever reason.

It's ironic how this seems like a very Republican idea to have, yet it is Democrats who tend to make it while Republicans fervently reject it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »

Buying insurance is a decision to pool your individual risk with others and share the costs of that risk. Any individual can choose to maintain their own risk. Earlier today I heard a woman on the radio describe how she was uninsured but working and needed an expensive medical procedure. She said the hospital was happy to set up an affordable payment plan to pay off the bill. I've heard similar statements from hospital administrators. She didn't sound like a freeloader.

What about people who can afford health insurance but not a five-digit bill, and choose not to buy health insurance, knowing that emergency rooms will still treat them anyway if they get in a car wreck?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »

A person who can afford health insurance, but chooses not to buy it? Does such a person exist? I'm sure out of 300,000,000 people that applies to somebody. Not a common circumstance though.

Well I obviously exist, so that answers that question. I do have accident insurance though (that would cover an ER bill in something like a car wreck).

I don't have it because it's cheaper to pay $80 the one or two times a year I have to visit a clinic than to pay a $20 co-pay plus a monthly premium (though my job started offering a cheap plan that would only deduct $25 a paycheck it's still not enough for me to come out ahead.)

Are you going to get health insurance in 2014 or pay the tax?
Also, what if you get a serious medical issue that isn't a car wreck?  Are you OK with bankruptcy?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

Lots of insurance companies are non-profits or mutual companies.  You should check one of those out, especially after the exchanges are up and running.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies