Whig/Conservative Study Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2024, 02:00:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Whig/Conservative Study Committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whig/Conservative Study Committee  (Read 1331 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

This is a place where Atlasian Whigs and other conservatives can come to discuss a unified plan to win the presidency and spread the conservative message.

Let the talks begin.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 06:36:58 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I would suggest we to try to draft an all-star candidate who meets the conservative AND libertarian bona fides. Rather than accepting any conservative who tries to run, we should actively encourage a strong compromise candidate to run, unopposed from the right.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »

My thought is kinda like that. My idea is like building an "all star team" of Pres and the VP as a way to bring even more possible undecideds.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

Address both economic and social issues based on our audience, but prioritize economic issues.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »

Move this to a private discussion so the left won't know your strategy. Wink
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »

I think it will be easier for us to unify than for them to.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »

I would suggest we to try to draft an all-star candidate who meets the conservative AND libertarian bona fides. Rather than accepting any conservative who tries to run, we should actively encourage a strong compromise candidate to run, unopposed from the right.

Well who do you have in mind? Are you suggesting we try to find a libertarian and support him instead of running someone as a party? Or is the a libertarian Whig you would like to recruit?

My thought is kinda like that. My idea is like building an "all star team" of Pres and the VP as a way to bring even more possible undecideds.

Again it all comes down to the same... what are you looking for in a candidate and who are you going to try and recruit, assuming you aren't simply going to accept whatever conservative candidate runs and actively select someone?

Do you mean it will be easier for the right to unify than the left? That may be true but the left generally holds a registration edge in Atlasia.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »

I remember back in the day, I believe the idea of an "all-star team" was a unifying ticket between the RPP and POP. The most ideal (and only victorious) one was the Tmthforu94/Dallasfan65 ticket. I'm guessing that's about the most successful model we can look at, but of course not the only one. As well, correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a large Libertarian-type Party presence in modern day Atlasia, is there? And there are more major parties and thus less chance of picking off moderates of other parties due to there being enough for someone of of any ideology to fit comfortably into a party (except maybe die-hard Conservatives and Libertarians of course. The Whigs are a more moderate, center-right party).

In the past, even the most respectable and outreaching tickets (like the famed Duke/Cinci attempt) have failed. Is there any way to construct a dream scenario? It seems to me that our only hope is that every four elections or so we get lucky, and I'm not happy with that idea.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

While having a conservative as President would be nice, its very difficult unless they're very well-known and liked, such as Inks. There is around 10-15 voters who really decide the election, though turnout is also important. You need to find a Presidential candidate who is both well-liked and moderate enough to win swing voters, many who actually come from the Mideast, actually.

Having a libertarian isn't necessary, but it is helpful. Yes, Cathcon, there is a very strong libertarian showing in Atlasia. In a mock election of the US election, Paul could win as a third party. Wink

Perfect ticket:
Moderate-Conservative, Well Liked/Libertarian Leaning, good activity

Its also nice to have a ticket boasting two different regions, as usually a candidate can get a couple of votes in their region the party wouldn't otherwise get.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »

I'm talking about a specific party. In my knowledge, there was the POP, then something like the IFP, but I don't know of anything after that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »

I don't have a specific candidate in mind, but my criteria is very similar to Tmthforu94's. I'm not really familiar with all the big names in Atlasia yet.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »

I'm talking about a specific party. In my knowledge, there was the POP, then something like the IFP, but I don't know of anything after that.
The PLP - I think it stands for Popular Liberty Party.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »

I don't have a specific candidate in mind, but my criteria is very similar to Tmthforu94's. I'm not really familiar with all the big names in Atlasia yet.
Well, then maybe I'll just have to run again! Tongue You can't replicate perfection...bahaha Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »

For some reason I'm feeling an urge to run. This can't be a good thing.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:39 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 09:44:32 PM by President Polnut »

I remember back in the day, I believe the idea of an "all-star team" was a unifying ticket between the RPP and POP. The most ideal (and only victorious) one was the Tmthforu94/Dallasfan65 ticket. I'm guessing that's about the most successful model we can look at, but of course not the only one. As well, correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a large Libertarian-type Party presence in modern day Atlasia, is there? And there are more major parties and thus less chance of picking off moderates of other parties due to there being enough for someone of of any ideology to fit comfortably into a party (except maybe die-hard Conservatives and Libertarians of course. The Whigs are a more moderate, center-right party).

In the past, even the most respectable and outreaching tickets (like the famed Duke/Cinci attempt) have failed. Is there any way to construct a dream scenario? It seems to me that our only hope is that every four elections or so we get lucky, and I'm not happy with that idea.

Keep in mind... not that I really should be helping you but...

Tmth/Dallas won, to a degree because the fractures in the left were nasty and a lot of preferences exhausted (not to knock my Vice President, but as the Chair of one of the left parties at the time, this was a BIG part of it)... Duke/Cinci came agonisingly close to winning... and all things considered, probably would have knowing what was coming.

If you run a red-blooded conservative at the top of the ticket, you'll lose. Atlasian conservatives on the whole are to the left of RL conservatives and there is a natural left- progressive-centrist registration bias... so if you can't appeal to the middle ground and you start talking about abortion and school vouchers... it'll blow up in your faces.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (Not that I know anything about anything before April 2012, but the last bit. Just look at JCL. He was a classic conservative running in the Mideast, and he lost.

If my analysis is stupid, disregard it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

Do you mean it will be easier for the right to unify than the left? That may be true but the left generally holds a registration edge in Atlasia.

I probably shouldn't be helping y'all, but I'll tell a story... Once upon a time, in a faraway land called "Florida" (no relation to our Florida, of course), there were two mythical parties known as "Republicans" and "Democrats". One of them, the "Democrats", had the support of a plurality of people of this faraway land, and thus you'd expect them to win elections, especially statewide ones. But the party called the "Republicans", who you'd expect to be the minority (being in the registration minority), actually were the ones who held the majority of all kinds of offices, throughout the land. Why was this? They were much better organized and ran much better campaigns than the "Democrats". The moral of the story is, registration edges may count for something, but organization, unity, and campaigning can negate and reserve any sort of trends like that. So basically, if you're running a good campaign and are united, and facing opposition divided enough that they'd rather support you than the other guy, you're on the path to victory.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »

I probably shouldn't be helping y'all, but I'll tell a story... Once upon a time, in a faraway land called "Florida" (no relation to our Florida, of course), there were two mythical parties known as "Republicans" and "Democrats". One of them, the "Democrats", had the support of a plurality of people of this faraway land, and thus you'd expect them to win elections, especially statewide ones. But the party called the "Republicans", who you'd expect to be the minority (being in the registration minority), actually were the ones who held the majority of all kinds of offices, throughout the land. Why was this? They were much better organized and ran much better campaigns than the "Democrats". The moral of the story is, registration edges may count for something, but organization, unity, and campaigning can negate and reserve any sort of trends like that. So basically, if you're running a good campaign and are united, and facing opposition divided enough that they'd rather support you than the other guy, you're on the path to victory.

I've heard tales just like that all throughout Atlasia's oral traditions. Except Mississippi, where they tell tales of the one lone Democrat who was ceremonially executed in 2010.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »

JCL was running against one of the most active, capable, and established politicians in Atlasia,

Aww, thanks Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »

I've heard tales just like that all throughout Atlasia's oral traditions. Except Mississippi, where they tell tales of the one lone Democrat who was ceremonially executed in 2010.

Naw, there's supposedly loads of Democrats in Mississippi, just like Louisiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia. You may be thinking of Oklahoma.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »

If you run a red-blooded conservative at the top of the ticket, you'll lose. Atlasian conservatives on the whole are to the left of RL conservatives and there is a natural left- progressive-centrist registration bias... so if you can't appeal to the middle ground and you start talking about abortion and school vouchers... it'll blow up in your faces.

Perfectly understood. In this world, fiscal conservatism is much more palatable than social conservatism.

The typical model for a "dream ticket", going off the Tmth/Dallas teaming is that of a moderate, centrist conservative combined with a standard libertarian.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »

Which is what I was thinking Cathcon.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »

Perfectly understood. In this world, fiscal conservatism is much more palatable than social conservatism.

The typical model for a "dream ticket", going off the Tmth/Dallas teaming is that of a moderate, centrist conservative combined with a standard libertarian.
Exactly right.  That's how it is in America in real life too. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

The main premise is to help draft a platform.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies