Will the Big Issue and ONLY Issue be "Repealing Health Care" in this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:30:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will the Big Issue and ONLY Issue be "Repealing Health Care" in this election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the Big Issue and ONLY Issue be "Repealing Health Care" in this election?  (Read 789 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

Now that some clarity has been made about the Health care law, even if the details are still sketchy, and who's to say it will ever be implemented as envisioned.  I suspect most businesses and individuals would pay the fine (tax) rather than the more expensive premiums. 

But does Romney/Portman get a past for other issues if they just focus on "Repealing Health Care"?

Will the opposition against Obamacare solidify for Romney? 

Will Obama campaign primarily on keeping Obamacare, rather than focusing on Bain, the deficit, outsourcing, or whatever else? 

In 2010, the primary issue was rebellion against universal health care, will that continue in the elections of 2012?

Obama had the Big "anti-Iraq war issue" in 2008 with promises Hope and Change.

Will Romney promise Hope and Change as the "anti-Health Care candidate"?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »

No.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »

So long as the Rs have gays and abortions and Mexicans to shout about, they will.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »

No.

It's the economy, stupid.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »

Of course not. Now Romney should keep talking about this because it helps him with the base and doesn't really hurt him with swing voters (though it doesn't help either). It will be the economy in the end that will decide things, just as they did in 2010!
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »

lol.

Vote for me and die from chickenpox.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:56 PM »

WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 04:18:36 PM by WhyteRain »

lol.

Romney is the consumate Eastern Liberal Establishmentarian.  He's a successful, uber-rich business man, a dual graduate of both Harvard Business and Harvard Law Schools.  He worked well with an 85%-Democratic legislature in Massachusetts.  He's a can-do guy!

Now, how can anyone think that Romney wants to roll back the BigNannyHealthState (heck, a mere cheap state university grad like Sarah Palin or Rick Perry could do that!) rather than to "fix" it and show everyone he really is a Master of the Universe?  You can bet he'll give it the old Harvard try!
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 04:20:06 PM by Mynheer Peeperkorn von Thurn und Taxis-Hohenlohe »

lol.

Romney is the consumate Eastern Liberal Establishmentarian.  He's a successful, uber-rich business man, a dual graduate of both Harvard Business and Harvard Law Schools.  He worked well with an 85%-Democratic legislature in Massachusetts.  He's a can-do guy!

Now, how can anyone think that Romney wants to roll back the BigNannyHealthState (heck, a mere cheap state university grad like Sarah Palin or Rick Perry could do that!) rather than to "fix" it and show everyone he really is a Master of the Universe?  You can bet he'll give it the old Harvard try!

I thought you were supporting Romney.

Don't understand the point of the College title wet dream, anyway.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

lol.

Romney is the consumate Eastern Liberal Establishmentarian.  He's a successful, uber-rich business man, a dual graduate of both Harvard Business and Harvard Law Schools.  He worked well with an 85%-Democratic legislature in Massachusetts.  He's a can-do guy!

Now, how can anyone think that Romney wants to roll back the BigNannyHealthState (heck, a mere cheap state university grad like Sarah Palin or Rick Perry could do that!) rather than to "fix" it and show everyone he really is a Master of the Universe?  You can bet he'll give it the old Harvard try!

I thought you were supporting Romney.

Nope.  In fact, I said here recently that if I was sure the GOP would regain the Senate, I'd definitely favor Obama for re-election.  Now, with SCOTUS reviving ObamaCare, I am sure.

Ohhh, did you think I was for Romney because my comments indicate that I have such disdain for Obama and such confidence that he'll lose in a landslide?  Well, I'm one of those really strange ducks whose biases rarely impact his expectations.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »

Again, if that is the only issue, I don't see how Romney can win.

He can't be the poster boy for repealing a law that is virtually identical to the one that is his signature accomplishment as governor.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

No, and while the bill is unpopular, so is repealing it.

Only 31 percent of Americans support complete repeal. 59 percent support some combination of keeping it as it is, expanding it, or repealing parts of it but keeping others.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »

Again, if that is the only issue, I don't see how Romney can win.

He can't be the poster boy for repealing a law that is virtually identical to the one that is his signature accomplishment as governor.

It should sicken Republicans that of the ... 11(?) original candidates for their nomination, they picked the one who has no real argument to make against the Democrats' position on the most important issue of the election. 

But they didn't want to seem "extreme" with someone like a Ronald Reagan.  They wanted to seem "broadminded" with a cultural elitist, someone with strong anti-Tea Party credentials, someone who will reach out to Democrats as though they have the same 85%-majority in Congress as they did in Boston.

Congratulations, Republicans:  You are about to re-nominate McCain -- if McCain had created a government health care mandate system and had intimate ties to the Ivy Leaguers and Wall Streeters.  What could possibly go wrong?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »

No, and while the bill is unpopular, so is repealing it.

Only 31 percent of Americans support complete repeal. 59 percent support some combination of keeping it as it is, expanding it, or repealing parts of it but keeping others.

I'm sure you're right.  After all, we have the 2010 elections showing how much voters will appreciate the politicians who support or take a nuanced position on DemocratCare.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »

I'm sure you're right.  After all, we have the 2010 elections showing how much voters will appreciate the politicians who support or take a nuanced position on DemocratCare.

You don't care?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »

LOL, Obama wished that healthcare was the only thing Romney ever talked about.

All he's got to do is mention that ObamaCare is mostly the same as RomneyCare. Sure, there are some differences like how it doesn't cover abortions, and it covers kids up to 26.

I mean seriously, Romney has no credibility to criticize ObamaCare.
milhouse24
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »

LOL, Obama wished that healthcare was the only thing Romney ever talked about.

All he's got to do is mention that ObamaCare is mostly the same as RomneyCare. Sure, there are some differences like how it doesn't cover abortions, and it covers kids up to 26.

I mean seriously, Romney has no credibility to criticize ObamaCare.

In some ways Romney is more of an expert on ObamaCare than Obama himself.  Romney can say that what works at the STATE level cannot work on a National scale.  States deserve the right to choose what works for them, and specifically what their state budgets can afford.  Does it mean repairing bridges or giving subsidies for health premiums. 

Your logic is also circular if all Americans were Liberal Democrat voters. 

I guarantee that Republicans will be able to tell the difference between Obama and the "anti-obama" candidate who PROMISES to repeal ObamaCare. 

All Romney has to say is that he does not support Federalization of the Health Care law.  He just "Promises to repeal the law on day one" unlike obama's desire to keep the law. 

That is really the difference.  Romney is faced with decisions of 2012 and repealing Health Care.  He's not making decisions for MA in 2004. 

This is about the future going forward, not living in the past.  Some states may actually go bankrupt trying to comply with ObamaCare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies