Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting  (Read 12914 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-congressional-map-opponents-turn-in-36k-signatures-20120701,0,4742394.story

The effort could snatch a victory from Gov. Martin O'Malley, who is being lauded by his party nationally for creating a map that gives Democrats a good chance of picking up a Congressional seat this fall. And it could give the state's minority Republican party new standing in Annapolis, showing that they can threaten "inside baseball" laws in addition to headline grabbing ones like in-state tuition for some illegal immigrants and same-sex marriage.

But if the group succeeds in collecting 55,736 signatures, voters will have a chance to overturn it and force the General Assembly to redraw the map for the 2014 election. Organizers hoped to exceed the number by a substantial margin to account for the 10 percent of signatures likely to be discarded by state election officials because of various errors.

It remains far from certain that voters will ever have the chance to weigh-in. The Republicans fell short of their self-imposed goal of gathering 75,000 names. The opponents, at this point, has 7,294 more signatures than the 55,736 required to trigger the referendum.

Haha, interesting. Of the first half roughly 9% were found invalid.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »

They try this (And fail) every time.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »

How did I know this was a krazen post?

'Moving right along to the next thread....
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2012, 12:28:13 AM by shua, gm »

The Democrats think they can pick up a seat? Does MD even have any Republicans left besides that old Tea Party guy who's concerned about peak oil (Bartlett)?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:29:22 AM »

The Democrats think they can pick up a seat? Does MD even have any Republicans left besides that old Tea Party guy who's concerned about peak oil (Bartlett)?

Yes, Andy Harris.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »

Yes, Andy Harris.
And for reasons of Democratic residency and of intra-party carveup of Baltimore area donors, they couldn't reduce his seat to rubble (and had to draw a hilariously ugly map to achieve the same thing a clean-looking one could have). So only the aged Sev will go.

I wish the Maryland Republicans the best of luck in their endeavour, by the way.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

I would suspect that my name in the 'started by' column would clue you in, and save you from some rude keystrokes.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »

I would suspect that my name in the 'started by' column would clue you in, and save you from some rude keystrokes.

No; I didn't even see your name. This subject was the most recent post when I was scrolling through the main Forum page, so I only saw the headline and Happy Warrior's name (because he had the last post).
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2012, 11:38:47 AM by hopper »

This is kind of late to do now. The only other district the Republicans could competitive for would be Dutch Ruspersberger seat in Maryland 3 I think. I think Van Hollen's district(MD-04)is now solidly Democratic. The Republicans were very lucky to win that seat all those years with Connie Morella. I don't know if the Republicans could be competitive in John Sarbanes seat even without the gerrymandering that has happened 2 straight times with that district. I mean that district is an Annapolis based district and has some outer parts of Eastern Baltimore in it. Maybe if you included the town of Glen Burnie in it?

I noticed in that redistricting how some of  Elijah Cummings district got moved north over by Van Hollen's district. Cummings current district has some parts of Baltimore, and the towns of  Cantonsville, and Ellicot City in it. Basically most of Baltimore County in it I think.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »

It would go into place for the 2014 elections.

Looks like they dug up some more signatures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/foes-of-marylands-congressional-redistricting-map-confident-the-map-will-go-to-referendum/2012/07/02/gJQARw1NIW_story.html

They say they submitted 65,722 signatures by Saturday’s midnight deadline.

Opponents need to have 55,736 valid signatures. Parrott says he’s confident enough signatures will be verified as valid by the Maryland State Board of Elections, based on the percentage of verified signatures submitted in the past.

It will be interesting to see the people of Maryland vote on this gerrymandering.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »

I'm actually not upset about this.  I really don't condone gerrymandering from either party.
timothyinMD

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2012, 10:49:45 PM by Joe Republic »

Looks like Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

Looks like snotty Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid

If most Maryland Republicans are like you in demeanor, its easy to see why they're such a minority in state politics.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »

It's not like Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymander if they had control. Maryland's map isn't nearly as ridiculous as the maps of Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »

It's not like Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymander if they had control. Maryland's map isn't nearly as ridiculous as the maps of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Well, in the Republican's defense, the Maryland map is very ugly.

But yeah, the Republicans promised a "fair" redistricting up in NC and look how that turned out...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »

But yeah, the Republicans promised a "fair" redistricting up in NC and look how that turned out...

Redistricting is often times a matter of vengeance. And the North Carolina GOP has 100 years of vengeance to enact.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

So you're saying they "deserved" it? Why can't Maryland Republicans push for an independent commission instead?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »

Redistricting is often times a matter of vengeance. And the North Carolina GOP has 100 years of vengeance to enact.

The vengeance factor aside, it was still erroneous and hypocritical advertising on the part of the NCGOP. They said they'd draw a "fair" map; an intended 10-3 delegation from a 50/50 state isn't an equitable situation, no matter how you slice it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »

It's actually pretty easy to draw a 5-3 Republican map in Maryland, [un?]interestingly enough.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »

So you're saying they "deserved" it? Why can't Maryland Republicans push for an independent commission instead?

I believe there is no legal authority to do so under Maryland law. They can merely use referendums to reject the laws passed by the legislature. The people are doing so for this redistricting plan as well as for marriage.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »

Why didn't the Maryland Democrats push for an independent commission?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »

The vengeance factor aside, it was still erroneous and hypocritical advertising on the part of the NCGOP.

Like in Illinois where the Democratic governor stated he would veto any map that wasn't "fair?" Look how that one turned out!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »

Because they have the power to gerrymander? Or was that "American sass"?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »

Something akin to what got Blago impeached and stuff. When you have something like this, it is a gold mine that you don't just give away. You sell seats to the highest bidder within the party and screw the other party out of as many as possible in order to have more "merchandise" to sell. Same as what happened across the border in PA.

Looks like snotty Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid

"There is no greater concept then that of disarmament so long as everybody is disarming at the same time".

The problem is there is no way to do that since these are done on a state by state basis.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 10:32:23 PM »

"Independent commissions," as established in Arizona and California, bizarrely enough, both have created blatant Democratic gerrymanders (in Arizona's case, twice in a row).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies