Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:11:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting  (Read 13071 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 09, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

Any "fair" map in Maryland would likely just be 6-2, like the previous map, the closest thing to MD-02 would perhaps be potentially winnable for Republicans on paper but not in practice because Dutch Ruppersberger would easily win any BaltCo-based seat. I should point out that combining the panhandle with MontCo isn't really any more absurd than combining with it the Baltimore exurbs, neither area fits with it, just that the latter region happens to vote the same way.

Not to say that neither the current or previous map isn't an insane gerrymander, but the main reason it's that way is moreso due to the incumbents and some inconvenient residences. Both of timothy's maps above ignore communities of interest just as much as the current map, it just does so in a less ugly way, and would most likely still elect a 6-2 delegation regardless.

Actually no, my maps very much respect "communities of interest."  I think I know Maryland a lot better than you do, pal.  A "fair" map would be at least 5-3

The first map isn't bad, but could you perhaps explain what community of interest is served by pairing College Park with Randallstown? That district is unnecessarily erose . Oh, and you can't get from Dundalk to Anne Arundel County without passing through another district or taking a swim. While this of course doesn't disqualify it from being a congressional district, it's hardly justifiable from a community of interest standpoint. Other than those little nitpicks though, not bad.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »

"Fair" in Maryland is 6-2, both by geography and as a reflection of the state's partisan lean:

1: Harford is the logical partner for an Eastern Shore district, none of this crossing the Bay Bridge funny business.
2: Entirely BaltCo.  You could swap a bunch of land with 7 if getting a racial pack was more important than keeping jurisdictions whole, since 7 is over 50% black already, I see no reason to.
3: HoCo-based.  Most of the rest comes from Montgomery, which is way too big for one district.
4: Entirely Prince George's; 63% black.
5: Rural Southern Maryland is far too small for its own district, so it takes the less-developed portions of PG and most of Anne Arundel, which are the best fits.
6: Western Maryland and some other rural bits.  I particularly like the portion of Montgomery it takes, which is mostly protected farms walled off from the urban areas by parkland.  It's a sensible chop.
7: All of Baltimore City, and some Anne Arundel for population equality and to let 2 stay entirely within Baltimore County. 53.4% black.  The Anne Arundel portion of this district is literally the only part of the state that has any reason to be upset at all with this map.  But you can't please everybody.
8: MontCo.

Theoretically 2, 3, and 5 could be in play if there was a massive wave, or personal scandals.

I think this map could really do without the three-way chop of Anne Arundel. Is there any way to make that possible without really screwing up the rest of the map?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies