Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:52:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Signatures filed to invalidate Maryland Congressional redistricting  (Read 13066 times)
timothyinMD

« on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2012, 10:49:45 PM by Joe Republic »

How did I know this was a krazen post?

'Moving right along to the next thread....

Looks like Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid
timothyinMD

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 04:30:20 PM by timothyinMD »

It's not like Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymander if they had control. Maryland's map isn't nearly as ridiculous as the maps of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

The Maryland map was the worst of the whole cycle.  PA/IL/OH/NC are next I'd say

Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymandered map if we were in control, we don't need to.  Maryland is naturally laid out to the benefit of Republicans.

Why, look what we have here.  Two potential maps for Maryland that are NOT insane

It's actually pretty easy to draw a 5-3 Republican map in Maryland, [un?]interestingly enough.

That's not correct, a 5-3 Republican map in Md is not possible, but a 4-4 one is very possible, and this is so because Maryland is the most polarized state in the union

Looks like snotty Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid

If most Maryland Republicans are like you in demeanor, its easy to see why they're such a minority in state politics.

Your dismissive remark at the petition drive reeked of snobbery.  What can I say?  The Democrats were giddy at the prospect of petitioning Ohio's map.  I'm glad that the OH Repubs modified their map due to public pressures.  I wish MD Dems had done the same
timothyinMD

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »

Looks like snotty Miles doesn't like citizen uprising against Democrats' outrageous Maryland congressional map.  This is going to referendum.  We turned in 10k more than needed. 10k will not be invalid

If most Maryland Republicans are like you in demeanor, its easy to see why they're such a minority in state politics.

Your dismissive remark at the petition drive reeked of snobbery.  What can I say?  The Democrats were giddy at the prospect of petitioning Ohio's map.  I'm glad that the OH Repubs modified their map due to public pressures.  I wish MD Dems had done the same

It wasn't just that post; your forum demeanor has been fairly consistent. I mean that in the least offensive way possible.

My aim is not to please you, buddy.  3/4 of those who write on here regularly are liberal/Democrat.  It's basically a vehicle for you all to validate your own musings.  I try to super-size my voice to make up for the lack of diverse viewpoints, and as good old Rush Limbaugh would say, point out absurdity with absurdity.

I notice that my alma mater [Towson University] will being visiting your alma mater [LSU] in the fall.  I intend to make the trip to watch that game, can't wait
timothyinMD

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

My aim is not to please you, buddy.  3/4 of those who write on here regularly are liberal/Democrat.  It's basically a vehicle for you all to validate your own musings.  I try to super-size my voice to make up for the lack of diverse viewpoints, and as good old Rush Limbaugh would say, point out absurdity with absurdity.

I notice that my alma mater [Towson University] will being visiting your alma mater [LSU] in the fall.  I intend to make the trip to watch that game, can't wait

Oh, awesome! We'll surely welcome you here at LSU and I hope you have a great experience there! Enjoy our campus!

Actually its a battle of my alma maters, as I attended LSU for one semester before coming to my senses that out of state tuition is a waste of money. (Fall 2007).. oh which just happened to be the semester they won the BCS.  Epic awesomeness, LSU is a beautiful and fantastic school and I'll probably be rooting for them in the game over Towson, who are the "tigers" as well

I lived at 1443 brightside drive, I forget the name of the apt complex
timothyinMD

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »

Any "fair" map in Maryland would likely just be 6-2, like the previous map, the closest thing to MD-02 would perhaps be potentially winnable for Republicans on paper but not in practice because Dutch Ruppersberger would easily win any BaltCo-based seat. I should point out that combining the panhandle with MontCo isn't really any more absurd than combining with it the Baltimore exurbs, neither area fits with it, just that the latter region happens to vote the same way.

Not to say that neither the current or previous map isn't an insane gerrymander, but the main reason it's that way is moreso due to the incumbents and some inconvenient residences. Both of timothy's maps above ignore communities of interest just as much as the current map, it just does so in a less ugly way, and would most likely still elect a 6-2 delegation regardless.

Actually no, my maps very much respect "communities of interest."  I think I know Maryland a lot better than you do, pal.  A "fair" map would be at least 5-3
timothyinMD

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 02:09:22 PM by timothyinMD »

It's not like Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymander if they had control. Maryland's map isn't nearly as ridiculous as the maps of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

The Maryland map was the worst of the whole cycle.  PA/IL/OH/NC are next I'd say

Republicans wouldn't have drawn a gerrymandered map if we were in control, we don't need to.  Maryland is naturally laid out to the benefit of Republicans.

Why, look what we have here.  Two potential maps for Maryland that are NOT insane

It's actually pretty easy to draw a 5-3 Republican map in Maryland, [un?]interestingly enough.

That's not correct, a 5-3 Republican map in Md is not possible, but a 4-4 one is very possible, and this is so because Maryland is the most polarized state in the union

Your dismissive remark at the petition drive reeked of snobbery.  What can I say?  The Democrats were giddy at the prospect of petitioning Ohio's map.  I'm glad that the OH Repubs modified their map due to public pressures.  I wish MD Dems had done the same

I personally hate that map simply because as a Southern Marylander I don't want my region broken up like that, I'm happy with it as it is.

Charles County isn't "Southern Maryland" anymore, it's become an extension of Prince George's County.  To clump St Mary's, Calvert and southern A.A. counties in with DC suburbs and exurbs drowns out those rural areas.  Prince George's is big enough for a seat of its own, it should not drown out other portions of the state like the map that passed does.

However to address your displeasure, this is another scenario

What I particularly like about this one is adjoining Frederick to Montgomery Co, reducing A.A. Co from four districts to two, and returning the 7th to a Balto Co/City district as it had been prior to 2001
timothyinMD

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »

"Fair" in Maryland is 6-2, both by geography and as a reflection of the state's partisan lean:

1: Harford is the logical partner for an Eastern Shore district, none of this crossing the Bay Bridge funny business.
2: Entirely BaltCo.  You could swap a bunch of land with 7 if getting a racial pack was more important than keeping jurisdictions whole, since 7 is over 50% black already, I see no reason to.
3: HoCo-based.  Most of the rest comes from Montgomery, which is way too big for one district.
4: Entirely Prince George's; 63% black.
5: Rural Southern Maryland is far too small for its own district, so it takes the less-developed portions of PG and most of Anne Arundel, which are the best fits.
6: Western Maryland and some other rural bits.  I particularly like the portion of Montgomery it takes, which is mostly protected farms walled off from the urban areas by parkland.  It's a sensible chop.
7: All of Baltimore City, and some Anne Arundel for population equality and to let 2 stay entirely within Baltimore County. 53.4% black.  The Anne Arundel portion of this district is literally the only part of the state that has any reason to be upset at all with this map.  But you can't please everybody.
8: MontCo.

Theoretically 2, 3, and 5 could be in play if there was a massive wave, or personal scandals.

Oh hell no to trapping Lake Shore in with Baltimore City.

I've been a live long resident of Harford County and it is NOT the logical partner to the Eastern Shore.  Southern Maryland (St Mary's, Calvert, southern AA counties) are much more similar to the eastern shore than Harford
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies