Miles' Election Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Miles' Election Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Miles' Election Map Thread  (Read 112309 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »

Yes, the black vote, especially in the rural north, tends to be compressed into fairly compact precincts in the towns. In the rural river parishes (the middle part of CD2), the black voters are more spread out.

Landrieu really had a strong showing with white voters in the eastern part of the coastline (the bottom half of CD1)
The oil spill may have helped. (Beyond the obvious and larger factors of French Name and The Landrieu Name, obviously.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »

Yes, the black vote, especially in the rural north, tends to be compressed into fairly compact precincts in the towns. In the rural river parishes (the middle part of CD2), the black voters are more spread out.

Landrieu really had a strong showing with white voters in the eastern part of the coastline (the bottom half of CD1)
The oil spill may have helped. (Beyond the obvious and larger factors of French Name and The Landrieu Name, obviously.)

This was before the oil spill.
Brainfart. My apologies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »

Very nice.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 03:56:35 AM »

The Myrick map is hilarious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:12:34 AM »

That's actually the district where I'm registered. Myrick was always popular despite some many of her outlandish views.
To be more precise: The way it chops into (somewhat more Republican, surely) precincts of the city it surrounds and the chops then actually being the only places voting for the Democrat looks hilarious. Of course, these are probably "maturing" (democratizing) inner suburbs where a lot changed over ten years, but, well.It looks funny.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »

Pretty cool maps!
edit: Also maybe more Native Americans?
That's just a couple of precincts at the western edge of it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2012, 10:45:51 AM by Minion of Midas »

So it had that southern appendage only to keep some Republicans out of the second district?

EDIT: Nope, that's the new map. Makes for an... odd... look.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »

So it had that southern appendage only to keep some Republicans out of the second district?

Well, that was the most efficient way for CD4 to pick up Democratic voters in Fayetteville.
Although they weren't all that Democratic.

But of course they didn't have much leeway trying to shore up the second, retake the 8th and not make the 7th less Republican in the process. There's quite a lot of people in Fayetteville after all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »

You are wonderful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »

Two notes: While you have different maps for 1968 and 1970, you have the same data. I suppose this is an error in the 1970 data?

What the hell happened in the first district in '72?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »

Fun fact about MilesC56: My aunt and uncle are in the FBI and they oversaw the prosecution of Bill Jefferson.

This better become a series with the two 2006 elections and the 2008 general and ideally the 2010 and 2012 generals as well. Else I am going to be very disappointed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:17 AM »

This better become a series with the two 2006 elections and the 2008 general and ideally the 2010 and 2012 generals as well. Else I am going to be very disappointed.

Ok, sure!

I already have the 2008 general.
Actually, strike 2012 I guess. (Not that I wouldn't like to see it - I would - but it'd not really part of the series.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »

Its politicians like LaBruzzo that make Louisiana pro-lifers look bad.
Corrected.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Painfully obvious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:08:17 AM »

Both of these seem to have been races where the too-conservative guy lost... the cajun primary is back and no Democrat filed, so they were R-R races on a GE turnout. And in that situation you can still be quite easily too conservative.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »

Both of these seem to have been races where the too-conservative guy lost... the cajun primary is back and no Democrat filed, so they were R-R races on a GE turnout. And in that situation you can still be quite easily too conservative.

It was a sort of irony. There are no really moderate Republican officeholders in Louisiana i am aware of. Even moderate conservative... So, frequently, it's a fight between very and extremely conservative candidates. In SUCH situation very conservative candidate (Boustany, for example) can win over extremely conservative (Landry) of course, but that doesn't make him less conservative)))
It makes him less conservative than the other guy. -_-
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »

And here we geaux!!

I finally have the precinct data for NC!

Let's start off with one of my favorite results of the night! Cheesy
Too close for comfort. Barrow's was much more heartening.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:42 AM »

Cool.  Interesting to see that the movement towards Romney was not among college students  but the more rural parts of the county.
Actually, one of the precincts that trended Romney contained ASU. That was more of a dead cat bounce than anything though.

Watauga County can be divided into several areas and communties, which explain the voting patterns:

-The Town of Boone, which is dominated by the University and the people associated with. It's dominated by transplants and Northern-Influenced southerners, and It tends to be strongly Democratic.

-The Town of Blowing Rock, which is the second largest town in the County. Blowing Rock is very touristy and is dominated by retirees from Florida. It tends to lean republican, although the Democrats can be competitive.

-The rest of the county tends to be fairly Republican and typically Appalachian, with a good smattering of White liberals and moderates who live in the country due to high housing prices in Boone. There are also some more retirees.

To win in Watauga county, a Democrat needs to either rack up large margins in the Boone Precincts and/or make inroads in the rest of the County.

Good points.  You seem to be someone who is familiar with the area, so do you know why Mitchell & Avery Counties are so heavily Republican?
I think you might be asking the wrong question- Watauga is the anomaly. The counties of Northwestern NC are extremely conservative in that traditional Appalachian way- A bit like East Tennessee. Avery was one of Alf Landon's best counties in 1936. Mitchell County is particularly conservative, which seems to be due to the area's isolation and homogeneity.

Oh, & I live around Boone, so yeah.
[/quote]ASU has the coolest mascot ever.  That's just about all I know about the place.

Avery and Mitchell have been Republican since the Civil War.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »

And there it is, folks! Cheesy

FULL SIZE.

Pres-by-CD calculations by county are coming.
Now all you need to do to fulfill that above request (which I'd like to echo!) is to add the CD lines in white.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »

Thanks, awe-inspiring!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

Seriously though, I do plan on making a map of the Congressional vote, but I don't think I'm exactly clear on what you're asking, X.
Just a county map of the congressional vote, split counties not split.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »

Although I would prefer a national map! Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 05:42:57 AM »

So was the previous one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

It just needs saying from time to time. Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »

If i remember correctly - Blanco ran that year as a rather "old school" Cajun Democrat (and rather conservative one), while Jindal - as a sort of "urban conservative reformer". In addition - Democratic ad, showing Jindal even mre dark-skinned that he really is, worked fairly well in rural Louisiana - Blanco won many conservative rural parishes, which Democrats seldom win.

Exactly. One of Jindal's slogans (which he repeated alot later when Obama was running in 2008), was that in Louisiana, the Republicans are the party of change. Jindal even got Ray Nagin's endorsement.
And Kathleen Blanco enacted her revenge for that when Katrina hit.

That was truly a gun-to-your-head, escape-to-Nunavut election. Rare to have those be actually competitive.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

If i remember correctly - Blanco ran that year as a rather "old school" Cajun Democrat (and rather conservative one), while Jindal - as a sort of "urban conservative reformer". In addition - Democratic ad, showing Jindal even mre dark-skinned that he really is, worked fairly well in rural Louisiana - Blanco won many conservative rural parishes, which Democrats seldom win.

Exactly. One of Jindal's slogans (which he repeated alot later when Obama was running in 2008), was that in Louisiana, the Republicans are the party of change. Jindal even got Ray Nagin's endorsement.

Out of Obama's 5 worst parishes in 2012 (Cameron, LaSalle, Livingston, Grant and West Carroll) Blanco carried all of them except Livingston pretty comfortably.

Again, if i am correct - there is a big difference between Livingston and other four. Livingston is a suburban and rather upscale parish, full of rather well-to-do managerial types, who doesn't have a "nobless oblige" symptoms  (and sympathy to less successful people then they are) of their coastal counterparts (being, frequently, well-to-do only in first generation)
Suburban - exurban, with a population almost doubled over the past twenty years. But not exactly upscale. Richer than the places we're comparing it with here, richer than the state as a whole, but a lot poorer than Saint Tammany. And incredibly White by Southern standards and fairly uniform - unusually small difference between mean and median income (mean income is not that far above the state average actually), with the highest income brackets (200k+ households) underrepresented compared to the state as a whole.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies