Opinion of the USA! (Split)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the USA! (Split)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: For its birthday!!!
Freedom Country (American)

Freedom Country (Non-American)

Horrible Country (American)

Horrible Country (Non-American)

Neutral (American)

Neutral (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Opinion of the USA! (Split)  (Read 5640 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »

The epitome of middleness. Neither great nor horrible.

Hmm.  I don't see that.  If America isn't extreme, I don't know what is.

Well, what do you get when you average two polar extremes?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 12:38:25 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »

Despite its flaws, it is a really magnificent country on many aspects.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2012, 06:21:45 AM by President Polnut »

Lots of flaws, certainly not infallible, but has a lot of very good people and certainly a net positive influence on the world.

Could tone down the nationalism a little... frankly, I'd rather be part of a good country as opposed to a great one (or one that feels the constant need to remind themselves about it)...

BlueDog Bimble
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:04 AM »

One of my favorite countries.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 06:25:26 AM »

To clarify further: It's certainly a better country than the vast majority throughout the world. But it's not unique, and certainly not best. 95% of the freedoms and rights American nationalists go on about are equal or stronger in Western Europe and Australia. Disregarding that, it's the only "rich" country that provides no serious universal welfare state.

What's bulls**t is the American Dream/exceptionaliam nonsense. Economic mobility is (at best!) on par with other Western countries.

That said, yes, America is a good country. Some things, like immigrant integration, actually work better than in most other places. And xenophobia (although it's gotten worse over the years) is comparably low.
BlueDog Bimble
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »

To clarify further: It's certainly a better country than the vast majority throughout the world. But it's not unique, and certainly not best. 95% of the freedoms and rights American nationalists go on about are equal or stronger in Western Europe and Australia. Disregarding that, it's the only "rich" country that provides no serious universal welfare state.

What's bulls**t is the American Dream/exceptionaliam nonsense. Economic mobility is (at best!) on par with other Western countries.

That said, yes, America is a good country. Some things, like immigrant integration, actually work better than in most other places. And xenophobia (although it's gotten worse over the years) is comparably low.

Economic mobility is higher than in most Western European states, although I'd agree that it probably isn't what it used to be. The "American Dream" is largely a holdover from the 19th century.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »

Clearly FC. Despite some flaws.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

Have you considered becoming a naturalized Thai subject?   

They probably won't allow him....another reason why America is better.

The most desirable country club is the one you can't get into, not the one you can.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »

It isn't the "greatest country in the history of the earth" as rahrahrah nationalists love to think, it is imperfect, it has tons of problems and it has way too many morons; but America is still a great country.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »

It has some issues but I think it's one of -- if not the -- best countries in the world. And every country has morons, guys.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 03:56:25 AM »

Still a Freedom Country (the conduct of our leaders not withstanding), though not the greatest anymore.

We would be the greatest if we cared to obey our Constitution and quit spending ourselves out of existence.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »

Neutral (Non-American)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »

Economic mobility is higher than in most Western European states, although I'd agree that it probably isn't what it used to be. The "American Dream" is largely a holdover from the 19th century.

No, Blue Dog, that's not true or at least this is not what statistics say. According to them the American Dream, i.e., the economic mobility is a sort of myth. Of course the dream is possible, but if you were born in a bad place usually you have less oportunities to develop yourself at educational, social and economical levels than in Western Europe.

I declare myself neutral, albeit I admire a lot of things in the US society and culture. The political system has its good and bad things.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »

I'm surprised to see Freedom County winning, among both Americans and non-Americans.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »

It has its flaws, but there's something about it which makes me see it as the best country in the world.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »

Still a Freedom Country (the conduct of our leaders not withstanding), though not the greatest anymore.

We would be the greatest if we cared to obey our Constitution and quit spending ourselves out of existence.

The quality of its political leaders is not something you can separate from the appreciation of a country.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »

Have you considered becoming a naturalized Thai subject?   

They probably won't allow him....another reason why America is better.

The most desirable country club is the one you can't get into, not the one you can.
So I guess that makes North Korea the greatest country in the world?

And no, the best country club is the one that the most people want to get into. That club may or may not be highly restrictive, but that's irrelevant except to the extent that it effects the number of people who want to enter.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

I voted "Neutral", though that's not really a good description. There are a lot of really great things about America, but there are also some things about it that are rather awful. So this mixture of good and bad things makes me have a "Love/Hate" relationship with America, which is why I voted "Neutral" Tongue.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 03:39:42 AM »

The quality of its political leaders is not something you can separate from the appreciation of a country.

Perhaps. I like to believe if more of my fellow countrymen were better informed, or just cared enough to pay a little more attention, they'd be eager to vote for people who'd fix things.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:21 AM »

Perhaps. I like to believe if more of my fellow countrymen were better informed, or just cared enough to pay a little more attention, they'd be eager to vote for people who'd fix things.

As someone who studied in the US... and was, honestly, horrified by how myopic so many Americans were, I think a broader perspective is definitely needed.

A friend of mine who's a teacher in IL, is really disturbed by how they teach the American Revolution as purely, democracy vs tyranny... rather than be honest, that it was actually incredibly complex and doesn't go into the background as to why Britain did what it did etc etc...

America is a great country, full of really good people, the story about American social mobility is increasingly a myth, America is as strata-fied as any European or Western Country for that matter. I think what might irritate people abroad is the idea that the US is the pinnacle of democracy... last time I checked... most western countries have free and fair elections... freedom of the press etc etc...

Just because you're flawed, as all countries are in their own ways, doesn't mean you aren't great... you're just not the best at everything... some countries do do things better than you... but you do other things better than them... it's not a contest.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 04:23:52 AM »

I'm surprised to see Freedom County winning, among both Americans and non-Americans.

You listen to conservative pundits too much...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »

Two reforms would move America much closer to being a true freedom country in the sense that everybody had a fair chance. Universal health care and governemt paid tuition at all state colleges. The lack of free education to the poor and the lower middle class is the number one problem for social mobility and a giant waste óf human potential.

Another negative factor in regard to freedom is the US authorities tendency to not use common sense when dealing with various problems and adapting a "get tough" attitude even in situations where its counterproductice.

But genereally the strong liberalistic and democratic tradition makes for one of the most free countries in the world, so voted freedom country.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

You listen to conservative pundits too much...

No, I hang around this forum too much. Tongue

Also, your words on America seemed like a touching get well card for this country. I liked them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies