Opinion of the USA! (Split) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:50:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the USA! (Split) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For its birthday!!!
Freedom Country (American)

Freedom Country (Non-American)

Horrible Country (American)

Horrible Country (Non-American)

Neutral (American)

Neutral (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Opinion of the USA! (Split)  (Read 5812 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: July 06, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »

To clarify further: It's certainly a better country than the vast majority throughout the world. But it's not unique, and certainly not best. 95% of the freedoms and rights American nationalists go on about are equal or stronger in Western Europe and Australia. Disregarding that, it's the only "rich" country that provides no serious universal welfare state.

What's bulls**t is the American Dream/exceptionaliam nonsense. Economic mobility is (at best!) on par with other Western countries.

That said, yes, America is a good country. Some things, like immigrant integration, actually work better than in most other places. And xenophobia (although it's gotten worse over the years) is comparably low.

Economic mobility is higher than in most Western European states, although I'd agree that it probably isn't what it used to be. The "American Dream" is largely a holdover from the 19th century.

No, Blue Dog, that's not true or at least this is not what statistics say. According to them the American Dream, i.e., the economic mobility is a sort of myth. Of course the dream is possible, but if you were born in a bad place usually you have less oportunities to develop yourself at educational, social and economical levels than in Western Europe.

I declare myself neutral, albeit I admire a lot of things in the US society and culture. The political system has its good and bad things.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies