Romney's being "out of touch" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:50:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's being "out of touch" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's being "out of touch"  (Read 1769 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

I'm going to stipulate that both Romney and Obama have accomplished far more than anyone on this forum.  Romney has been a successful investor and the Governor of a state.  Obama is the president of the United States--at that point, it's kind of hard to credibly knock someone's achievements.

Both men have good families and have played very important roles in their communities, so they're probably both caring people on many levels.  Obama can be cold and aloof, but also very sympathetic and connected.  Romney seems to be a basically good person.

But, I must admit, one thing Romney does seem kind of clueless about is the "wealth" question.  Someone who was really "in touch," it seems to me, would realize that this recurring question is actually not about that, it's not a sign that people envy him or begrudge success or something.  Voters cast ballots for wealthy candidates all the time, after all.  It's really a question about whether his background and experience have enabled him to understand the challenges facing the middle class and poor.  He is campaigning to the president of every economic class in the country, and, precisely because he so rarely wears his concern for people on his sleeve, that worry, he should understand, isn't so unreasonable coming from someone else's perspective.  I give him the benefit of the doubt on it, mostly because of the part he played in creating the Massachusetts health care plan--I give him considerable credit for that, surely.  But his canned blather in response to that question does strike me as a red flag--it bugs me.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies