Iowa-style Redistricting: Measuring Erosity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:37:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Iowa-style Redistricting: Measuring Erosity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa-style Redistricting: Measuring Erosity  (Read 5005 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: December 06, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »

I think there is a world of difference between "small counties" in Texas and New Jersey.  It's entirely reasonable to expect that in rural TX, county lines matter because everything (school districts, police forces, etc.) are based on them, and there's a lot of unincorporated area that's administered by no subdivision smaller than counties.  This isn't the case in an urban state like NJ, where everything is part of an incorporated municipality.

In general, county lines are probably going to be less important in urbanized areas where municipal lines, urbanization patterns, VRA concerns, etc. should take precedence.  But in rural areas, counties matter.  It's really an urban versus rural difference rather than large versus small- I mostly agree with the gist of jimrtex's argument (even if he does romanticize small towns somewhat), but I'd much rather see small Bristol County, RI split than large Sedgwick, KS, just for instance.

And of course, in some states there's a sufficiently low county-to-CD ratio that every district is going to have to split enough counties that it starts to just not matter anymore.  Arizona and New Jersey are probably the best examples.  (CT and MA would be too, except that counties are already meaningless up there.)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2013, 11:38:35 AM by traininthedistance »

Perhaps we are better off insisting on non-splitting of counties; rather setting overly tight population equality standards.  IIUC, you claim to be able to find the best trade-off between erosity and equality.  So why set an independent limit on equality.

Why not:

Because 18.3% deviation pretty blatantly spits in the face of "one man, one vote".  I could see going up to, say, 3 or so percent deviation in the name of keeping political and natural boundaries together (and no, counties are not the be-all and end-all of boundaries), but when you get to double-digit variation I would hope that gets recognized as obviously unfair in all quarters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies