Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that contemporary Christian music is wrong?
Yes

No, but I prefer traditional hymns.

No; I prefer contemporary hymns.

Don't Know/Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 3577 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »

OK, I'm sure that someone has posted this before, but I know a lot of people in my church who believe contemporary Christian music is wrong.  What say you?  I'd like to get an idea of what the forum community, especially the Christians, think.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »

Delete the other thread, since you have the ability.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

I don't particularly like most contemporary Christian music, but it isn't, in general, wrong. It is wrong if it's wrong about something though Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2012, 01:26:08 AM by A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains »

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean by that it's blasphemous or whatever, then no. If you mean that it's wrong in that it's terrible, then yes.

I do like some Christian music though, lots of Christian hardcore, some indie rock, some worship music (which isn't really the same as CCM) is decent like some of Hillsong's stuff (even a lot of that is awful though)...my church tends to play a lot of that and even some classic hymns in a sort of post-hardcore/indie rock style, kind of like Rainer Maria, they've even played some songs that sound like Pavement. That stuff I like. But anything you'd hear on CCM radio is bleh.

Interestingly if music is sort of borderline Christian but not really and the musicians don't claim to be Christian music and vehemently deny the label (like Mineral), it's more likely than not to be quite good, and has a much better good:suck ratio than obviously secular music.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2012, 11:41:13 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean by that it's blasphemous or whatever, then no. If you mean that it's wrong in that it's terrible, then yes.

I do like some Christian music though, lots of Christian hardcore, some indie rock, some worship music (which isn't really the same as CCM) is decent like some of Hillsong's stuff (even a lot of that is awful though)...my church tends to play a lot of that and even some classic hymns in a sort of post-hardcore/indie rock style, kind of like Rainer Maria, they've even played some songs that sound like Pavement. That stuff I like. But anything you'd hear on CCM radio is bleh.

Interestingly if music is sort of borderline Christian but not really and the musicians don't claim to be Christian music and vehemently deny the label (like Mineral), it's more likely than not to be quite good, and has a much better good:suck ratio than obviously secular music.
Many of the people in my church smear it as watered-down rock music or "Christian rock" (which I actually LOVE rock music as long as the lyrics aren't inappropriate, so I personally would take that as a complement).  They say "Christian rock is an oxymoron" and that it is somehow blasphemous because it is "bringing the world into the church" and because of the effects it has on your brain.  I think it's sort of cool when traditional, classic hymns are played in an upbeat manner.  Though I personally don't think anything is inherently wrong with contemporary Christian music, I don't especially like it and prefer traditional hymns because CCM has never inspired me or felt as spiritual to me as the old hymns (some of which I love as well.)
Oh, and BTW: do you know how to delete the other thread please?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »

I don't particularly like most contemporary Christian music, but it isn't, in general, wrong. It is wrong if it's wrong about something though Tongue
My feelings exactly.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »

Many of the people in my church smear it as watered-down rock music or "Christian rock" (which I actually LOVE rock music as long as the lyrics aren't inappropriate, so I personally would take that as a complement).  They say "Christian rock is an oxymoron" and that it is somehow blasphemous because it is "bringing the world into the church" and because of the effects it has on your brain.  I think it's sort of cool when traditional, classic hymns are played in an upbeat manner.  Though I personally don't think anything is inherently wrong with contemporary Christian music, I don't especially like it and prefer traditional hymns because CCM has never inspired me or felt as spiritual to me as the old hymns (some of which I love as well.)
Oh, and BTW: do you know how to delete the other thread please?

You know what's funny is that while that sounds pretty reactionary many liberal Christians would agree with them from my experience. I've read plenty of similar things from "high church" Protestants who are socially progressive but basically hold that any rock music in church is inappropriate for that reason, bringing the world into church and whatnot, if you want to listen to that music do it outside of church. Always found that a little odd that often evangelicals are more open-minded about this.

There's a "Remove Thread" button at the bottom of the thread.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:26 AM »

I love Contemporary Christian Music.  The radio stations K-Love and Air1 are great for that genre.  K-Love is a softer-contemporary and Air1 is a more alternative-contemporary.  Both stations are cousins in the same building in Sacramento, California and are both completely listener-supported.  It reaches the younger generations in a way the old traditional hymns cannot.  I personally prefer the old traditional hymns such as the Old Rugged Cross, How Great Thou Art, It is Well with My Soul, etc.  The newer stuff is still wonderful, though, such as I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me and Blessings by Laura Story.  As long as it preaches the Word of God and does not compromise the message, I don't have a problem with it.  That includes the music that BRTD likes.  If it does not compromise the Central Message of the Bible, namely that everyone is a sinner and is condemned to hell but that God sent Jesus Christ His Son to be born of a virgin, dwell among men, be tempted in every way that we are, yet without sin, and die for us and take our rightful place on the cross, and that we will be resurrected with Him if we simply believe in His name and His sacrifice; it's fine.

I chose Option 2 for this poll, but not because I like Contemporary Christian any less, but that I like the Hymns even more.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »

Anyone else find the "newer stuff" Bush mentioned corny?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

There's a difference between being wrong and being terrible.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »

I love Contemporary Christian Music.  The radio stations K-Love and Air1 are great for that genre.  K-Love is a softer-contemporary and Air1 is a more alternative-contemporary.  Both stations are cousins in the same building in Sacramento, California and are both completely listener-supported.  It reaches the younger generations in a way the old traditional hymns cannot.  I personally prefer the old traditional hymns such as the Old Rugged Cross, How Great Thou Art, It is Well with My Soul, etc.  The newer stuff is still wonderful, though, such as I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me and Blessings by Laura Story.  As long as it preaches the Word of God and does not compromise the message, I don't have a problem with it.  That includes the music that BRTD likes.  If it does not compromise the Central Message of the Bible, namely that everyone is a sinner and is condemned to hell but that God sent Jesus Christ His Son to be born of a virgin, dwell among men, be tempted in every way that we are, yet without sin, and die for us and take our rightful place on the cross, and that we will be resurrected with Him if we simply believe in His name and His sacrifice; it's fine.

I chose Option 2 for this poll, but not because I like Contemporary Christian any less, but that I like the Hymns even more.
Because Jesus lives, we too can live.  I'm 19 and I don't think contemporary Christian music is immoral,  but I strongly prefer the old hymns because they are more spiritual for me.  I have so many favorites I would have to start a new thread.  There are some nice contemporary Christian songs but they have never inspired me like the old hymns, which is ironic because CCM is supposed to more effectively reach people my age.  I love all of the hymns you mentioned, and some of my favorites are "In the Garden", "Going Home", "What Wondrous Love is This", and "All the Way My Savior Leads Me".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »

I don't think there is any reason to pit CCM against traditional music. They're two very different things with rathern different purposes, I think. I don't think CCM belongs in church, but it instead exists as a spiritual supplement to church in your everyday outside life. Tradition hymns work so much better for actual church purposes.

I tend to listen to CCM on the radio whenever I'm in my car on the east side (the selection on the west side is awful Sad) partially because, although CCM tends to be as a whole musically temperate without too many highs or lows or particular innovation, it does not generally have nearly the general awfulness that much of the rest of the radio has. Pop stations are extremely repetitive and of very poor quality, I can't stand country music, and there aren't many stations with the type of secular music I enjoy (unfortunately some CCM stations are adopting songs with pop conventions more and more, eg songs with rapped verses and pop choruses by some guest singer). Air1 tends to be the station I listen to the most, but it can be hit and miss.

My personal music that I listen to on a regular basis is probably ~1/3 CCM. Some of my favorite bands are in the CCM genre, ranging from a bit harder bands like Skillet and Red to more mainstream CCM such as Matt Maher and Tenth Avenue North and Sanctus Real to slightly more experimental bands like Gungor and Rend Collective Experiment along with other random bands like Needtobreathe and relient k.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:34:41 AM »

I don't think there is any reason to pit CCM against traditional music. They're two very different things with rathern different purposes, I think. I don't think CCM belongs in church, but it instead exists as a spiritual supplement to church in your everyday outside life. Tradition hymns work so much better for actual church purposes.

I tend to listen to CCM on the radio whenever I'm in my car on the east side (the selection on the west side is awful Sad) partially because, although CCM tends to be as a whole musically temperate without too many highs or lows or particular innovation, it does not generally have nearly the general awfulness that much of the rest of the radio has. Pop stations are extremely repetitive and of very poor quality, I can't stand country music, and there aren't many stations with the type of secular music I enjoy (unfortunately some CCM stations are adopting songs with pop conventions more and more, eg songs with rapped verses and pop choruses by some guest singer). Air1 tends to be the station I listen to the most, but it can be hit and miss.

My personal music that I listen to on a regular basis is probably ~1/3 CCM. Some of my favorite bands are in the CCM genre, ranging from a bit harder bands like Skillet and Red to more mainstream CCM such as Matt Maher and Tenth Avenue North and Sanctus Real to slightly more experimental bands like Gungor and Rend Collective Experiment along with other random bands like Needtobreathe and relient k.

I saw Sanctus Real and Skillet in concert this past February.  They were part of the Winter Jam 2012 Tour.  Also there was For King and Country and other bands.  Skillet was the "main attraction".  It reminded me of a UFC fight night in the structure where the other bands were the first two or three 3-round fights as an appetizer in a given night and then Skillet is the premier fight of the night as the main course. (My Apple trainer is a big UFC fan!)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

I personally don't like CCM very much but I don't think that it's wrong or immoral.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

Here is a good article that describes much of my feelings very well, especially for Adventists like me who feel the way I do:
http://newprotestants.com/Devilmusic.htm
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

I don't get it.

Then again, I am British so I'm probably not meant to.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

CCM isn't wrong. It's just bad for the most part.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »

CCM isn't wrong. It's just bad for the most part.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:50 PM »

What the **** is Contemporary Christian Music?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »

What the **** is Contemporary Christian Music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHKdhAZ9hU
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies