any new yorkers on here know anything about the historical demographics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:03:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  any new yorkers on here know anything about the historical demographics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: any new yorkers on here know anything about the historical demographics  (Read 1284 times)
NY Jew

« on: July 13, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »
« edited: July 13, 2012, 09:42:09 AM by NY Jew »

of the Bronx? One thing I found interesting was that there used to be a large concentration of jews at one point. I read that around 1930, the borough was nearly half jewish. I would guess now that that number is no more than ten percent.

Does anyone know what precipitated the exodus of jews from the bronx? I think Moses' CBE (Cross Bronx Expressway) may have been a factor as it constructed a freeway right through a lot of residential areas of the bronx and displaced thousands of residents.
crime

I think it's just "white flight" to the suburbs with demographic changes in the Bronx. Jewish communities upped and left cities much more quickly than Catholics because it's easy for a synagogue to move while a church is anchored in a geographic parish. Also, moving to the Bronx was once seen as moving up from the slums of Manhattan to a nicer urban neighborhood, so it wasn't so hard to move again. And the older generation died off or moved to Florida.

http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/new_york/bronx_it%27s_desolation_row
Yeah now its the reverse people want to move to Manhattan and go live in a nice apartment. Just got to watch your back in Manhattan.

I never knew the Bronx had a big jewish population. I haven't been to The Bronx in 15 years even though I live in Central Jersey. Its just a place you want to avoid. I'm just shocked people wanted to move to The Bronx at one point.

I think maybe all the Jewish people that lived in The Bronx maybe moved to Brooklyn, Queens(look at Anthony Weiner's old congressional district), or Long Island. I know a guy that relieves at work from time to time and he went to High School in the 50's or 60's in Long Island he said everybody was Jewish that was around him. A few italians were living in Long Island at that time he said too. Now I think the Hispanics are moving into Long Island with the bastion of Italians that are already there.

People who live in the Bronx tend to move to suburbs in Westchester and points north or, in some cases, North Jersey.  Most don't move to Long Island or Brooklyn - the major Bronx roads and transit links point north, not east.  I'd bet a lot of the successful children of the Jewish residents on the Grand Concourse moved to places like Scarsdale and Rockland County when searching for greener pastures in the NYC metro.  As brittain33 said, some of the older folks died off or moved to Florida as the old Jewish neighborhoods turned more and more Hispanic.

Even today, there still is a sizeable Jewish community in the Riverdale section of the Northwest Bronx, along the Hudson River.

many of those Jews did move to Brooklyn, and for that matter I know a few that moved to Manhattan.

In short when they left they dispersed all over the place. I don't think Westchester had that much more then any where else.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies