Cities where Obama won the white evangelical vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:29:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Cities where Obama won the white evangelical vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cities where Obama won the white evangelical vote  (Read 3312 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »

Obviously he didn't in any state (Maybe Hawaii is a possibility), but are there are any cities where he likely did? Of course it's impossible to confirm.

I bet Obama did in NYC (especially when you consider who the Republicans there are, definitely not evangelicals), and probably did in some cities where a majority of even white evangelicals are the socially progressive type, such as San Francisco, Madison, Minneapolis (I was thinking about if he did here last night walking to a club, and realized he probably did if he got 35% of white evangelicals statewide) and probably some very liberal college towns ala Ann Arbor and the like. Even DC might be a possibility if it weren't for the fact that most white evangelicals there are probably Republican staffers or lobbyists.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »

The term evangelical is too vague to be classified as a political bloc. Protestants in general are a hard bunch to classify because there are so many branch-offs and a lot of nondenominational types. Would you consider Chalcedon Presbyterian or the Missouri Synod an evangelical sect?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:27 AM »

The term evangelical is too vague to be classified as a political bloc. Protestants in general are a hard bunch to classify because there are so many branch-offs and a lot of nondenominational types. Would you consider Chalcedon Presbyterian or the Missouri Synod an evangelical sect?

Theologically no, but in political terms they would probably be considered as such.

Probably the trickiest thing about this though is in urban areas there'd be a large gap between "white evangelicals" per self-description and "whites who at least semi-regularly attend an evangelical church", as people who fall into the second category but not the first would be far more Democratic than people that fall into both.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »

Here's an interesting possibility where it might've happened for unique reasons: Salt Lake City
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:11:13 PM »

This is perhaps the shortest list since someone decided to make. Perhaps on the same level as the list of women who are regularly on Xbox Live.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »

This is perhaps the shortest list since someone decided to make. Perhaps on the same level as the list of women who are regularly on Xbox Live.

It's probably not as short as you'd think. Socially progressive evangelicals are actually not that rare (at least outside the south), they're just much less vocal. If Obama can win 35% of white evangelicals in Minnesota, and when you consider there are churches that were no doubt near 100% McCain (like in Michele Bachmann's area), it's pretty clear there are evangelical churches that voted Obama as well. Obama no doubt won mine by a large margin. Also as I noted if someone lives in certain areas, they must not have a problem with gays, evangelical or not.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2012, 07:19:06 PM by AWallTEP81 »

Here's an interesting possibility where it might've happened for unique reasons: Salt Lake City

I bet he did.  Obama did pretty well in Salt Lake City, and it certainly had nothing to do with the Mormons getting behind him.  Utah County is almost 90% Mormon and McCain got 78% there.  Bush's vote in 2004 almost matched the % of Mormons voting exactly.  So even in a very good Democratic year, Obama was able to turn all of 11% of the Mormon voting population. 

Now THAT is a voting block that is hostile to Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies