Man files complaint against Pennsylvania restaurant over church bulletin promo (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:21:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Man files complaint against Pennsylvania restaurant over church bulletin promo (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this illegal discrimination?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Man files complaint against Pennsylvania restaurant over church bulletin promo  (Read 2861 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:59:15 PM »

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/681194_Atheist-files-complaint-over-restaurant-s-Sunday-promotion.html

I kind of want to compare the breakdown here to DU, which is full of people complaining that this is a violation of the Civil Rights Act and that anyone who disagrees is clearly some atheist-hating bigot, which I find pretty comical. Of course when confronted with the fact that an atheist can easily obtain a church bulletin without even attending church they'll just respond with something like "Why should they have to?" which isn't much of a legal argument.

But anyway no this isn't any more illegal than the strip clubs here that give free admission to people with same day sporting even ticket stubs, college IDs on college night, or the show I went to a few weeks ago that gave a discount on the cover to anyone wear the shirt of a local band.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

I'm going to say most likely it isn't. From what I've read it doesn't sound like the owner was intentionally being discriminatory, but rather just thought "hey, I know, I'll offer this discount to get more business on Sundays." You don't even have to be a believer to get a church bulletin - hell, you could probably fake one.

Now, if the owner refused to give the discount to someone who had a bulletin from a mosque or a synagogue then it would be discrimination, and likely illegal given what the laws are.

So you are smarter than atheists on DU.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies