Dick Durbin to retire, 2014?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dick Durbin to retire, 2014?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dick Durbin to retire, 2014?  (Read 4460 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Who-Can-Replace-Dick-Durbin-160780605.html

A bit of a shame -- I've always rather liked Durbin. If this happens, Chuck Schumer is totally set to succeed Harry Reid someday, bar something extraordinary. Reading the article, it makes some interesting points (in spite of my avatar, I haven't actually been to O'Hare in a few years, never mind the rest of IL):

Dan Hynes seems set to get the D nomination if Durbin retires. They seem rather bullish about Schock, Kinzinger, or Dillard being a serious Republican challenger. It would be hella fun to see Illinois have two R Senators, but it won't happen if Romney is elected Sad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »

If this happens, Chuck Schumer is totally set to succeed Harry Reid someday, bar something extraordinary.

Isn't the conventional wisdom that this was already set to happen....that Schumer had outmaneuvered Durbin as Reid's inevitable successor within the caucus, and this is why Schumer was given an expanded leadership portfolio after the 2010 elections?

I assume that that's *why* Durbin might retire.  If he realizes that he's never going to be Democratic leader in the Senate, then why stick around?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »

His goal was to get Obama elected. Once 2008 happened, he accomplished what he set out to do and that and not being Senate Democratic leader when the 2016 elections arrise which Dems should have big gains prompted him to retire. Sheila Simon and a Dan Hynes primary which it looks like it very well might would do the state good.  Simon isn't gonna be governor Madigan is so if she wants to stay in politics she should run for the Senate and I would vote for her over Dan Hynes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »

Shall we run muon to fill his place?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »

The only republican I'd support.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »

Now there's someone I can get behind!

Schock or Kinzinger won't run, I'd bet. They'll wait.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2012, 05:52:17 PM by hopper »

Who is muon?

I think Schock will run although I prefer Bob Dold since he is a little more moderate than Schock is. Schock is a Moderate Conservative whereas Dold is an actual Moderate Republican.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Who-Can-Replace-Dick-Durbin-160780605.html

A bit of a shame -- I've always rather liked Durbin. If this happens, Chuck Schumer is totally set to succeed Harry Reid someday, bar something extraordinary.

I agree; that's what I dislike the most about Durbin retiring. I'd hate to see Schumer as Majority Leader.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

A bit of a shame -- I've always rather liked Durbin. If this happens, Chuck Schumer is totally set to succeed Harry Reid someday, bar something extraordinary.

I agree; that's what I dislike the most about Durbin retiring. I'd hate to see Schumer as Majority Leader.

Yeah; Schumer's actually a bit of a corporate shill; he's funded by a lot of the same interests that deregulated the financial system and led to the recession. Let's hope someone else takes over as Majority Leader; who's a better choice for Majority Leader (if the Democrats keep the Senate)?
Seattle
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »

Patty Murray Tongue

She's up there in leadership, but I don't forsee anything that will deprive Schumer of the top dog position.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »

Huh Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »

Durbin has always been one of my least favorite Senators but my feelings towards him are like my feelings towards my most hated sports rivals: keep him around to keep the rivalry going. The thing is, I strongly dislike Schumer, too, so I've been wondering who I'd "want" as the Senate Dem leader. I think Schumer would be more of a positive for the GOP though.

Whether Durbin stays or leaves, muon should run. Smiley
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 11:40:25 PM »

Schumer and Patty Murray would be very polarizing in Democratic leadership. If Durbin retires, Wyden and the Udalls would be good options for leadership. Menendez is another candidate, like Klobuchar. If elected, Tim Kaine would be interesting too.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »

Schumer and Patty Murray would be very polarizing in Democratic leadership. If Durbin retires, Wyden and the Udalls would be good options for leadership. Menendez is another candidate, like Klobuchar. If elected, Tim Kaine would be interesting too.

Kaine or Klobuchar would be good, but they would lack seniority.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

Like I said, my understanding is that Schumer has basically outmaneuvered the competition and is likely to become the next Democratic leader in the Senate when Reid steps down from the job (which *might* even be as early as January 2013 if the GOP wins back the Senate and Reid doesn't want to go back to being Minority Leader).  So I don't think Durbin retiring really impacts that one way or the other.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »

Like I said, my understanding is that Schumer has basically outmaneuvered the competition and is likely to become the next Democratic leader in the Senate when Reid steps down from the job (which *might* even be as early as January 2013 if the GOP wins back the Senate and Reid doesn't want to go back to being Minority Leader).  So I don't think Durbin retiring really impacts that one way or the other.

True, sometimes a Senate Majority leader steps down, and keeps serving in the Senate. Robert Byrd served over 20 more years.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »

There was talk even before the 2010 election that Reid might not want to serve the entirety of his next term as Democratic leader, since it's a rather thankless job.  And he's 72 years old.  He may well decide to serve out the rest of his time in the Senate as the chair or ranking Dem. on a powerful committee, rather than as party leader.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:10 AM »

How about Mark Warner?  Popular guy, somewhat bipartisan, and he won't be as much of a newcomer by the time Reid decides to call it quits.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

Well, on a thread where people don't like Schumer, I have to note I like Schumer even more than I like Durbin. (I like Durbin for his work with Alan Simpson, largely).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »

How about Mark Warner?  Popular guy, somewhat bipartisan, and he won't be as much of a newcomer by the time Reid decides to call it quits.
Something tells me Warner won't run in 2014 for reelection, and will instead run for President in 2016. I don't think he's big on thet Senate.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

Kaine or Klobuchar would be good, but they would lack seniority.
LBJ got Democratic leadership with only 4 years in Senate. Mansfield and Daschle got in 2nd term.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies