Preferred Individual Top Income Tax Rate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:23:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Preferred Individual Top Income Tax Rate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What would be your preferred top income tax rate?
90%

80%

70%

60%

50%

40%

30%

20%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Preferred Individual Top Income Tax Rate  (Read 5913 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: July 14, 2012, 12:15:34 AM »
« edited: July 14, 2012, 12:17:43 AM by realisticidealist »

Like most economic issues, I try not to weigh in unless I have seen empirics/regressions/econometrics and understand the theory behind it. I am not yet to this point on taxes. What I can say is that basing tax rates on personal whimsies or some misplaced moral sentiment is both short-sighted and destined for many unintended consequences. I neither believe inherently in soaking the rich nor defeating some tyrannically vampiric government, though I believe that the income tax is an important and necessary tool at the government's disposal. There are many variables to consider, from the width of the brackets to their height to their multiplicity (though I intuitively prefer an upward-sloping continuous function rather than a piece-wise one for a number of reasons), not to mention various different institutions levying said taxes.

If someone like Beet or phnkrocket or ag want to chime in, I'm all ears, but forgive me if I disregard the notions of non-economists or at least of non-quantitatively-based individuals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies