Which "What's the Matter With Kansas" do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:05:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which "What's the Matter With Kansas" do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
William Allen White's 1896 article

Thomas Frank's 2004 book

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Which "What's the Matter With Kansas" do you prefer?  (Read 697 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »

Go for it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »

Never heard of or read the first iteration, so I can't judge. 
Rooney
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »

William Allen White was pretty much the epitome of the pretentious, Progressive Era journalist. I have not enjoyed much of what White scribed, although he did have some interesting entries into the zeitgeist of American screed . On the other hand, Thomas Frank is the epitome of a modern day pretentious journalist. I have read both of these works and I had to vote for White, though it irks me.

As for Frank's work I detested it. He was haughty and put forward a strange worldview that people need always vote and act for their self-interests and then he has the nerve to call conservative leaning Americans "selfish." People have never and will never vote for their self-interests because the man is far more than an economic creature. The man has a social need and that is what usually directs all voting. A book about this common occurrence since the first ballot was placed into the first ballot box in the days of Ancient Athens did not need to be written.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »

Never read White. Frank's book is misleading, even if his writing is enjoyable. Lower income whites are less likely to vote Republican than middle and upper income whites (if you divide the white population into thirds by income), though this gap has been closing in the past few election cycles.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

Why isn't the 2009 documentary a choice? It's arguably more accurate and includes a side story of an evangelical church whose congregation is duped by a fly-by-night theme park developer in a Music Man-type investment scheme that fails miserably.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »

Why isn't the 2009 documentary a choice? It's arguably more accurate and includes a side story of an evangelical church whose congregation is duped by a fly-by-night theme park developer in a Music Man-type investment scheme that fails miserably.

Because I hadn't heard of it?  (We need a blush emoticon)

Sounds great, will check it out.

PS: White's original article is only ~4 pages long and on the public domain, and easily found on google.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »

Because I hadn't heard of it?  (We need a blush emoticon)

Sounds great, will check it out.

PS: White's original article is only ~4 pages long and on the public domain, and easily found on google.

Who said we don't? Embarrassed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies