SF Bay advice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  SF Bay advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SF Bay advice  (Read 862 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »

I'm taking a vacation out that way in a couple of weeks. I'll be hitting up the obvious tourist traps like Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park, and so forth. I would love to hear suggestions from locals for lesser known things that are worth a visit as well. I'll be relying on Bart and muni primarily for transportation, but I am not opposed to walking a few miles or getting a zip car for a few hours if needed to get somewhere particularly worthwhile. Restaurant suggestions are particularly appreciated. Thanks very much for any tips.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »

San Francisco:
Fisherman's Wharf
San Francisco Zoo
Ocean Beach

Oakland:
Chabot Spacer and Science Center
Oakland Aviation Museum
Paramount Theatre

San Jose:
Tech Museum
San Jose Museum of Art
Winchester Mystery House

Hope that helps.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »

I don't know if it counts as an "obvious tourist trap", but the area around San Francisco City Hall is definitely worth checking out. In addition to City Hall itself, I suggest the Veteran's Building (particularly if you can see the Green Room, though I have no idea of how possible that is for tourists) and the San Francisco Public Library Main Branch.

Relevant advice: don't wander far from the immediate vicinity, and avoid Market St. like the plague.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:58:53 AM »

If you're gonna spend your time at a museum, I'd recommend the Exploratorium in San Francisco over the Tech Museum in San Jose, although both tend to suffer from a deluge of kids on field trips. Outside of dense San Francisco and Oakland/Berkeley it's a bit difficult to get around if you don't have a car so keep that in mind when traveling outside of those two cities. Seconding the San Francisco Public Library recommendation, also Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge is a bit off the track but it was more memorable for me than the other places I've visited in San Francisco, with the possible exception of Alcatraz. Fisherman's Wharf is the go-to place for SF dining....I think, I'm not that rich.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »

Ashbury and Haight's the lovely stoner strip, adjacent to the east end of Golden Gate Park. That side of the park is really shady. Great place to find cannabis and even other stuff. You don't even have to ask; they'll ask you.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »

Don't go to San Jose. It's hard to get to without a car, and it's not going to enhance your life in any way.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:54:20 AM »

What kind of cuisines do you want to try out? I know a good Burmese restaurant in north Oakland (also has a branch in SF) and an interesting little Indian food place in the Castro. Very different and not your typical Indian restaurant with a buffet. There are definitely some good restaurants to try out if you are into Asian cuisine. For seafood, Fisherman's wharf is the place to be. Also check out the sea lions and other touristy stuff....And are you the clubbing type? If so, there are some posh clubs near AT&T park. But I would really recommend checking out the Mission. Especially around 16th street and Mission street. Easily accessible by BART.

Here is the link for the Burmese place: http://www.burmasuperstar.com/
Also this is the Indian place: http://www.kasaindian.com/

Let me know what other cuisines interest you or what your other interests may be. I would recommend checking out Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley too...again easily accessible by BART.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »

What kind of cuisines do you want to try out? I know a good Burmese restaurant in north Oakland (also has a branch in SF) and an interesting little Indian food place in the Castro. Very different and not your typical Indian restaurant with a buffet. There are definitely some good restaurants to try out if you are into Asian cuisine. For seafood, Fisherman's wharf is the place to be. Also check out the sea lions and other touristy stuff....And are you the clubbing type? If so, there are some posh clubs near AT&T park. But I would really recommend checking out the Mission. Especially around 16th street and Mission street. Easily accessible by BART.

Here is the link for the Burmese place: http://www.burmasuperstar.com/
Also this is the Indian place: http://www.kasaindian.com/

Let me know what other cuisines interest you or what your other interests may be. I would recommend checking out Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley too...again easily accessible by BART.
Burmese place sounds great! We don't have any Burmese restaurants in Memphis, and I love trying new foods. I'm staying with friends in North Oakland (Temescal), so their location is great. They said that neighborhood is great for Ethiopian food, which I'm excited for as well, as we only have a couple of those places here. Also, how is Chinatown in SF? We used to have a really good Dim Sum place in Memphis, but they closed. Gotta get some steamed dumplings! Also, do you have any sushi recomendations?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »

Yeah, I recommend checking out Chinatown. Lots of good restaurants there so look up yelp and take your pick. Not too into sushi so I don't know which are the best. Ethiopian food is great and I think Oakland has some good places. I have only had it in San Jose and in LA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies