London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:51:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 53212 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2012, 01:11:36 AM »

No one cares about Palestine. (in this context, at least)

I bet all the non-American stations covering this (except for the ones in America's butt-buddies like South Korea) at least used the word "Palestine" on the air.

What are you talking about man?  They said Palestine. They talked about how they are approved by IOC and that they have an athlete who qualified for competition.  They showed members hold Free Palestine scarf aloft and they then went to commercial. They spent as much and even more time than another delegation of its size.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure they called it "Palestinian Territories", but yeah, they showed the delegation and talked about it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »

NBC did as much coverage for Palestine as they did many other countries.  And, of course, the IOC refused to hold a moment of silence for the anniversary of the terrorist attack on Israeli athletes.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:58 AM »

I have to say that was a good opening ceremony. Not as good as Beijing and Sydney, but it was better than Vancouver and Salt Lake City. 
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2012, 02:25:05 AM »

I'm watching the repeat now.  I truly do love the Queen so much, and her performance here only enhanced my fanboyism. I'm pulling for her to outlast Queen Victoria and become the longest reigning monarch. Odd, since I don't really care much about the other royals.

As for the events, I'm mostly looking forward to the High Jump. Never really watched the Olympics before, so should be fun.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2012, 04:40:57 AM »

Our commentators skipped Palestine, but considering that they also skipped Japan...

Because the Australians come out so early, a lot of the time is tqken up with shots of the Aussies once they're already on the field, so a lot of countries get little or no attention.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:52 AM »

China wins the first gold medal. Sad
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2012, 05:46:32 AM »

And the first bronze. Silver to Poland. Poland have a history of winning lots of medals, but relatively few golds.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »

Opening ceremony was very good, IMO, if a tad overlong. Got to do something about the parade - it's gotten far too long now.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »

CTV basically skipped France, which was annoying. Of course, giving the rights to CTV is a retarded idea.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »

The reaction to the ceremony on-line has been bewildering

I've never known a ceremony polarise opinion quite like this one, that's for sure.

It was, for this jaded Brit, truly wonderful. It celebrated Britain and its people just right - mad, bad, befuddled, chaotic, eccentric, traditional, proud, multicultural, silly, and all else inbetween. I loved its humour.

If some of our Colonial Cousins "got it" whilst others didn't, does that say something about the ceremony or the nationality of those confused Wink Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »

Depends what was to get in regards to Paul McCan'tanymore or Hppy Fmlz 4evz. Rest was fine, with moments of true brilliance.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »

CTV basically skipped France, which was annoying. Of course, giving the rights to CTV is a retarded idea.

CTV is a lot better than NBC.

NBC has horrible commentators.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »

Vinokourov is even worse than Cavendish as a winner, but importantly for Australia, anyone taking medals away from 'Team GB' is doing god's work, and I suspect that may have been Stuart O'Grady's primary motivation in the end Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »

I'll try to watch some of the US women's soccer stuff, because I'm a fan of Alex Morgan and apparently she seems to be a really good player now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

I see that the two Brian Williams' are back again. (Well, I assume Williams is doing the NBC coverage). The one good thing about the CTV coverage was poaching our Williams from CBC. It wouldn't be the Olympics without him. Aaaaaalright *shuffles papers* it's 9:00 local time...

But yeah, it's still weird having to watch the Olympics on CTV. A network which I don't normally watch much of (but is the most popular network in Canada).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

I see that the two Brian Williams' are back again. (Well, I assume Williams is doing the NBC coverage). The one good thing about the CTV coverage was poaching our Williams from CBC. It wouldn't be the Olympics without him. Aaaaaalright *shuffles papers* it's 9:00 local time...

But yeah, it's still weird having to watch the Olympics on CTV. A network which I don't normally watch much of (but is the most popular network in Canada).

Actually, it was Bob Costas and Matt Lauer at the commentary.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »

Oh well. It was fun when they were both in Vancouver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzTtKbXQSUs
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »

Nice finish to the cycling event.  The original breakaway group swelled two thirty members and maintained a 50 second lead over the pellaton for the rest of the race.  Then, with a mile or two to go, a columbian rider broke away from the breakaway, followed by a 38 year old Kazakhstani.  He drafted and then came around behind to sprint for the win.  Love it when somebody the commentators even had trouble identifying wins the Gold.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

US archery team are delicious. As is the Aussie archer, Taylor Worth. May need to take up Archery.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »

Phelps sure has some competition this year. Ryan Lochte left everyone in the dust this morning.
danny
Israel

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »

Phelps clearly isn't the swimmer he was in 2008, he couldn't even win a medal in the 400 Medley.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »

I'm having nightmares that the,next fifty years will ve 90% US or Chinese golds. Plus Brazil, Italy, and South Korra I guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

Italy second in ranking so far. Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »

Gold to Australia for the first time in London, in a slight surprise. Really rather good Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies