London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:57:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 52810 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »

US vs. Italy in women's water polo. Who is Phil for?

Water polo is actually a pretty entertaining sport, unlike most that are so popular in the US (like what Americans call football.)

You're American, dude. It's called football because it is football.

Really football is a sport played by kicking around a ball. What Americans call football is a sport that primarily consists of throwing or carrying an object that isn't a ball.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »

BTW, did you know that the French Judo gold winner is also a fellow student in my university ? He is 23, so I assume he is already in the master cycle, which might explain why I've never met him.

That's cool, but one of the Canadian guys in the 400x100 relay on August 10 is not only an undergrad student at my university, but he's also a graduate - a year before me - from the same high school!

He'll lose, obviously, but more proof that CB-turned-UofO students are the best at all they do. Smiley

Also, tomorrow, Alex Morgan vs. Canadian nationalistic pride? Who should I cheer for? Not that I care, I won't watch the game because I'm in Belleville.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

The British TV coverage is getting completely unbearable...
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

North America is hardly better:

CTV: Full coverage of the token Canadian guy in every race, excitement when a Canadian doesn't place last or next to last. But they do cover other nations, tbh.

NBC: America is the only country competing, so they only cover Americans. Though unlike Canadians, the Americans actually win something.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #329 on: August 05, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »

I'm guessing the British coverage is similar to NBC's, just replace "American" with "British".
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #330 on: August 05, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »

Hash, I didn't know you went to uOttawa! That was my second choice behind Queen's. Starting third year, and I'm still not sure if I made the right choice haha. The French immsersion coulda been useful.

Anyhow, is Canada still doing horrendously? I've been too demoralized to bother watching lately.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #331 on: August 05, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »

Watch me. Seriously.

Ignore the twitter stuff, the video is at the bottom. I almost choked I was that shocked.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #332 on: August 05, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »

CTV: Full coverage of the token Canadian guy in every race, excitement when a Canadian doesn't place last or next to last. But they do cover other nations, tbh.

NBC: America is the only country competing, so they only cover Americans. Though unlike Canadians, the Americans actually win something.

If someone had access only to Italian state run TV, he would think the only sport taking place at the Olympics is fencing.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #333 on: August 05, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »

Hash, I didn't know you went to uOttawa! That was my second choice behind Queen's. Starting third year, and I'm still not sure if I made the right choice haha. The French immsersion coulda been useful.

Anyhow, is Canada still doing horrendously? I've been too demoralized to bother watching lately.

10 medals, which is quite unexpected at this point.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

If someone had access only to Italian state run TV, he would think the only sport taking place at the Olympics is fencing.

The thing is, fencing is hugely interesting and I greatly enjoyed watching the bronze medal match between the United States and Russia in women's team epee when NBC deigned to show it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »

Eh, that's not actually too bad. Isn't our record something like 22 at a boycotted games?
danny
Israel

« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2012, 06:23:14 PM »

Watch me. Seriously.

Ignore the twitter stuff, the video is at the bottom. I almost choked I was that shocked.

Some people look for racism everywhere, it was obviously not meant to be racist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »

I've seen other countries play soccer on NBC, but that appears to be it.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »

Watch me. Seriously.

They had been playing that commercial since the Opening Ceremony. Oh the outrage! Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »

BTW, did you know that the French Judo gold winner is also a fellow student in my university ? He is 23, so I assume he is already in the master cycle, which might explain why I've never met him.

Which one?
Teddy Riner? Automne Pavia? Some other one I can't remember?

Rinner. I really admire how he manages to keep up with it while playing to such levels.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »

I've seen other countries play soccer on NBC, but that appears to be it.

I don't think that is exactly accurate.  I think they more play the sports that Americans actually watch. For instance, diving is on right now and Americans did not win any medals.  Even if the Americans were not in the gymnastics final, they would still show it.  Sports that Americans win a gold and don't follow are either heavily edited or merely mentioned on the main broadcast.
The other channels have also shown many water polo, beach volleyball, basketball etc of other nations competing. Tbs, I think it only natural and financially rewarding to focus on your home markets athletes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »

Eh, that's not actually too bad. Isn't our record something like 22 at a boycotted games?

It's excellent, considering than the majority of the hopes of medals is in the second half of the Games, which began today.

We did 22 in Atlanta, which is the best performance in normal Games. We got 44 in Los Angeles 1984 (boycott of the Eastern Bloc).
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

You mustn't have the red button. Tomorrow, Annalise Murphy in the medal race in sailing at 1 PM, she won the first 4 races but hasn't done too well since. She's on 34, there are 2 on 33, and another on 34. Only those 4 have won any races, so thankfully it should be winner takes gold tomorrow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »

Quite, quite.

I think a degree of open pleasure (at, say, the three Athletics golds the other day) is acceptable, but I draw the line at being forced to care about sailing. It is boring. I do not care if Ben Sailor Boy Whateverslie has won his twenty billioneth Olympic gold medal in the whatever class. On the screen it's just a load of triangles.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »

FOX should be the Olympic affiliate for the US, and CBC should be for Canada. I wonder why this hasn't happened?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »

Andy Murray has won the men's singles tennis in straight sets. While Federer had a bad match, it's a deserved first major victory for him.

Of course, the most important thing about this is that he is an actually successful hibs fan.

He's also a bit of a cock, though you'd never know from the commentary...
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

Andy Murray has won the men's singles tennis in straight sets. While Federer had a bad match, it's a deserved first major victory for him.

Of course, the most important thing about this is that he is an actually successful hibs fan.

He's also a bit of a cock, though you'd never know from the commentary...
True, but I don't blame him. Apparently some fans used to call him English which must be annoying. Now if Laura Robson won the mixed with Andy, would that be the easiest gold medal in modern olympic history for Robson?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #347 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »

FOX should be the Olympic affiliate for the US, and CBC should be for Canada. I wonder why this hasn't happened?

C.R.E.A.M.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #348 on: August 06, 2012, 01:33:08 AM »

Yeah possibly the only sport more boring than sailing is golf, which isn't in the Olympics. Olympic shooting is pretty dull too. It'd be cooler if the sport instead was some type of obstacle course like the tutorial missions in the Call of Duty games instead of just "point gun->shoot->wait to be told how you did"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #349 on: August 06, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »

I wonder what the coverage in Canada is like for that gymnast who just went on the vault. That was tough. Really bad for her. At least the crowd tried to lift her up.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies