London 2012 Olympics Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:46:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 53083 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:01 AM »

CTV basically skipped France, which was annoying. Of course, giving the rights to CTV is a retarded idea.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »

I'll try to watch some of the US women's soccer stuff, because I'm a fan of Alex Morgan and apparently she seems to be a really good player now.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:22:51 PM »

Great job to the US and French women's football today! I catched the US-Colombia for half an hour before heading out this afternoon, and saw their two last goals, both of which were pretty sweat. And France trounced the North Koreans 5-0.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »

Missy Franklin was pretty amazing last night. Even better if she's remotely Canadian.

On a side note, CTV coverage is terrible. I've taken to watching it all on NBC, at least they show the events rather than nationalist feel-good bullsh**t about the training of Canadian people nobody cares about.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »

The IOC should punish itself for accepting dope moneybags from Vladimir Putin.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:53 AM »

Canadian coverage is hilarious: GO CANADA, WE WON THIRD PLACE!1111 WE WON!111 WE ROCK!111 Let's cover the medal ceremony now!1111

So, yeah, go France.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:35:38 AM »

Just saw the women's all-around final, and I have to say that these judgy people are unfair.

Yeah, I think Raisman was better than the Russian who placed third.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2012, 05:00:26 PM by Hashemite »

Woohoo, Canada beats the Brits, Americans beat Kiwis, Frenchies beat the Swedes in women soccer. Perfect.

Really, France should just abolish the men's team. They're worthless, vulgar morons who can't play. It's really disgusting that there's such a big deal made about them when nobody notices that the more talented female team is 10x better.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »

Of course I didn't mean it literally, I'm not an idiot. Though I wouldn't be surprised if one of France's best woman players is more talented than an imbecile like Ribery or that moron who threw a fit in South Africa.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »

BTW, did you know that the French Judo gold winner is also a fellow student in my university ? He is 23, so I assume he is already in the master cycle, which might explain why I've never met him.

That's cool, but one of the Canadian guys in the 400x100 relay on August 10 is not only an undergrad student at my university, but he's also a graduate - a year before me - from the same high school!

He'll lose, obviously, but more proof that CB-turned-UofO students are the best at all they do. Smiley

Also, tomorrow, Alex Morgan vs. Canadian nationalistic pride? Who should I cheer for? Not that I care, I won't watch the game because I'm in Belleville.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

The British TV coverage is getting completely unbearable...

North America is hardly better:

CTV: Full coverage of the token Canadian guy in every race, excitement when a Canadian doesn't place last or next to last. But they do cover other nations, tbh.

NBC: America is the only country competing, so they only cover Americans. Though unlike Canadians, the Americans actually win something.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

Man, that soccer game yesterday sure was a heartbreaking match Sad Canada always brings their A game against the US in these major tournaments, but they've not won yet.

Ironic that the winning US goal against "my country" was scored by the person who is, by far, my favourite player in modern women's soccer.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »

Hash, I didn't know you went to uOttawa! That was my second choice behind Queen's. Starting third year, and I'm still not sure if I made the right choice haha. The French immsersion coulda been useful.

I actually applied to Queen's as a distant third choice, but never considered it after both Ottawa and Karleton accepted me. Two years down, I'm confident I made the right choice because, despite Kingston being a beautiful and exceptional city, I know I wouldn't have had the opportunities in my field of study (polisci) I've had if I had been in some small town like Kingston rather than the NCR. And uOttawa is a good university regardless.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »

Man, that soccer game yesterday sure was a heartbreaking match Sad Canada always brings their A game against the US in these major tournaments, but they've not won yet.

Ironic that the winning US goal against "my country" was scored by the person who is, by far, my favourite player in modern women's soccer.

What is with your obsession with her?

I used to have a crush on Kara Lang, but her knee went wonky and now she's in the broadcast booth. If she was still playing, we probably would've beat the US. (Clearly, we need to diversify our goal scorers- too much reliance on Christine Sinclair)

I'm not "obsessed" with her, but she's really good looking and she's one of the top players on the US squad afaik.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »

Canada vs. France, US vs. Japan game day today. But I'll miss both because I'm working. Nonetheless, allez les Bleues and GO USA.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »

I sadly only caught like the last 2 minutes of it, but great job to the US women.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »

USA pulls ahead of Red China on gold medals and total medals. Wonderful.

Smiley!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:03 AM »

OK, guys, today is the only time I'll be a Canadian rah-rah-rah nationalist. Our 4x100 men's relay team is competing in the qualifying round today, and our team includes Segun Makinde, who goes to my university and who graduated from the same high school as I did. I know it's tough when they're in the same heat as Jamaica, but GO CANADA!

Alternative, GO GEE-GEES/GO COUGARS!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »

OK, guys, today is the only time I'll be a Canadian rah-rah-rah nationalist. Our 4x100 men's relay team is competing in the qualifying round today, and our team includes Segun Makinde, who goes to my university and who graduated from the same high school as I did. I know it's tough when they're in the same heat as Jamaica, but GO CANADA!

Alternative, GO GEE-GEES/GO COUGARS!

It's weird that you have more pride for your university than your country. Especially that university Wink ... but then again I'm surprised you would cheer for Canada at all considering how much you hate this country.

I don't hate Canada, though I strongly dislike certain aspects of it (because no country is pefect, and there is no such thing as the 'greatest country'). Though I certainly am no stupid nationalist, and I don't see the point of obsessively cheering for your country. I'd like Canada to win more medals, because I feel a sense of attachment to Canada, but I'm following the Olympics more to see talents rather than for any sense of nationalistic pride.

And, no, I don't feel more pride for my university than for Canada (or any other country). That's just stupid.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

OK, Canada qualified nicely in the relay, but apparently my guy didn't run? What's up with this travesty?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »

Canada, the third greatest country in the world.

I can feel the Conservative ads already.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 07:22:34 AM »

Oh guess what folks. Another bronze. Surprise surprise. Canada matches our 2008 medal tally. Four more to tie our best ever tally at a non-boycotted games. However, we just have one gold.

I don't know what's left, but I feel that Canada's gold medal will be its only gold medal this year.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »

Even Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait won medals at these games. Countries who didn't win anything should really feel crappy if even the Saudis and Kuweitis can win something and they can't.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

Assuming the medal count is final, brief comparisons to 2008 (for fun)

The US wins 10 more golds, but 6 less total
China wins 13 less golds and total medals
GB wins 10 more golds, and 18 more total
Russia wins one more gold and 9 more total
South Korea wins 2 less total, same number of golds as in 2008
Germany wins 5 less golds, but 3 more total
France wins 4 more golds, but 7 less total medals
Australia wins 7 less golds, and 10 less total
Japan loses 2 golds, but gains 14 total
Italy wins one more total medal, no changes on gold
Cuba wins 10 less medals, but 3 more golds (29th place in 2008, 15th in 2012)
Hungary gains 5 golds and 7 total
Canada loses 2 golds, but the overall medal count is unchanged from 2008. Tied for seventh in bronze medals
Kazakhstan gains 5 gold medals, but unchanged on the total
Future hosts Brazil gained 3 total medals but did not win any extra golds compared to 2008

Cyprus, Gabon, Bahrain, Botswana, Grenada and Guatemala win their first medals ever

In all athletic events, the US won 29 total (9 gold), Russia won 18 total (8 gold) and Jamaica won 12 total (4 gold)
In all swimming events, the US owned with 31 total (16 total) versus 10 total (5 gold) for the Chintoks. France placed third with 7 total, 4 gold.
In diving, however, China won 10 total - including 6 gold - against only 4 (and 1 gold) for Muricah. Mexicans won 3 total, but no gold medals.

Michael Phelps (USA) won the most medals overall (6) including 4 golds.
Missy Franklin (USA) won the second most (5), as did Allison Schmitt (USA), Ryan Lochte (USA) and Alicia Coutts (AUS) but 4 of Missy's 5 medals were golds, none of the 3 others listed won 4 golds in total
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »

CTV is back with terrible coverage of the closing ceremony, being focused entirely on Canadian athletes being idle (and about how our bronze medals are really impressive).
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies