London 2012 Olympics Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:27:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 53264 times)
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »

Apparently this year we're heavily favoured in some women's boxing event. Hopefully we can get a gold without drugs this time.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

Wow 200m no medal for Lochte.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »

So many swimming upsets. BBC commentators wondering how Missy Franklin was going in this race, and she wins it.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »

Point of interest, 37 countries have already medalled, which is a great start for this games' aim to have the most ever medalling nations. Point of nyah nyah, no British golds. Point of frump: Australia is either third or fourth in the pool, depending on how you count.
Huh, Google tells me North Korea is 4th.
That they are. They have a superb weightlifter.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

Apparently this year we're heavily favoured in some women's boxing event.

Katie Taylor has won pretty much everything that has been there to win for 6 years now. She would have been favourite 4 years ago as well had the sport been allowed in. She's probably the most favoured Irish Olympic entry since Pat O'Callaghan in LA '32.
And not only that but one of our sailors is cleaning up, won all 4 races so far. Looking like a big improvement from 2004/2008.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »

Anyone else agree that Olympic boxing is terrible now?  There are still talented fighters and an odd good fight but the scoring system blows. I remember as a kid being horrified by the Roy Jones Jnr decision but at least it was still compelling and could indicate some future success as a pro.  By trying to improve it they just made it worse.

-Just watching replay of GB vs. Cuba. The Cuban got screwed by the point system.
The worst thing is the total lack of knockouts. They need smaller gloves.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »

This dressage rain is unreal. But I still don't know, what the hell is dressage? What are they trying to do?
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

Acceptable day for Australia, but I'm starting to get sick of hearing other nation   s anthems. Unlikely to get a gold tonight in the pool, but tomorrow looks like it has potential, in the pool, at the velodrome, but especially in the rowing.

John Howard was the Bronze Horseman in Sydney. Whenever he was in attendance, we won unexpected bronzes, either in a positive or negative way.
I think it's time for Australian swimmers and their fans to start wearing paper bags on their heads. Big let down so far.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »

Gee wasn't expecting Dalhauser/Rogers to crash out of the beach volleyball. Who's gonna win it now? My gut says the other US pairing.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

US vs. Italy in women's water polo. Who is Phil for?

Water polo is actually a pretty entertaining sport, unlike most that are so popular in the US (like what Americans call football.)
Water polo's good, but beach volleyball is the best sport in the olympics.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »

The British TV coverage is getting completely unbearable...
You mustn't have the red button. Tomorrow, Annalise Murphy in the medal race in sailing at 1 PM, she won the first 4 races but hasn't done too well since. She's on 34, there are 2 on 33, and another on 34. Only those 4 have won any races, so thankfully it should be winner takes gold tomorrow.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

Andy Murray has won the men's singles tennis in straight sets. While Federer had a bad match, it's a deserved first major victory for him.

Of course, the most important thing about this is that he is an actually successful hibs fan.

He's also a bit of a cock, though you'd never know from the commentary...
True, but I don't blame him. Apparently some fans used to call him English which must be annoying. Now if Laura Robson won the mixed with Andy, would that be the easiest gold medal in modern olympic history for Robson?
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

Fk Annalise Murphy came 5th, no medal.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »

4th, actually, a pom came 5th, and between them they got 90% of the overly emotional, strained-voice commentating. The commentary is just as bad in the men's laser, but the result is looking good... C'mon Tom, go for Gold! ....and if not Gold, Silver!
Well 5th in the race, what a bummer though. She better gold in the next games. At least Katie Taylor has secured our second medal.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Gee wasn't expecting Dalhauser/Rogers to crash out of the beach volleyball. Who's gonna win it now? My gut says the other US pairing.

That surprised me as well. It was really close in that second set and they were tied at 19.

If I heard it right (I wasn't paying attention unfortunately), Gibbs and Rosenthal were eliminated last night, losing to an Austrian team I think.
Bummer for American mens team, but on the bright side you have the gold and silver in the womens game. Pretty good in one of the few sports in which the women's version is more popular.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

Oh my god, first Cian O'Connor missed out on a gold medal jump by .02, then he lost the bronze-silver medals jump at the last fence.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »

I'm so annoyed the beach volleyball final's on right in the middle of athletic finals. I've seen hardly any knockout stages thanks to the scheduling. I'm able to watch Brazil China right now, but it's not great.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

WOOHOO! GOLD! And this time I don't think our gold medallist is on drugs. Heavily favoured all the way.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »

USA looking more or less uncatchable for the golds.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/5852

Brilliance.

(with apologies to Gully Foyle et al - the nationality isn't really the issue)
It's very hard to offend Irish people. You should have seen our boxing commentator. Managing to go the whole fight without mentioning anything about the actual fight. Which sucks considering 90% of people need the commentator to say who's winning.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies