MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:26:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate  (Read 7034 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

Candidates, you may give your opening statements, then respond to the three questions below:

- How do you believe education can be improved in the Mideast Region? What steps will you take to reform the education system in the Mideast if elected to the Assembly?

Now, moving on to discuss the 2 amendments currently being debated in the Assembly...

- Recently, it has been discussed to bring back the Lt. Governor position in our region. Would you support this decision? If so, what responsibilities do you want the Lt. Governor to have? If you don't want to bring it back, why?

- Do you agree with the current way we elect Assemblymen, or would you support moving the number of Assemblymen at 5 permanently?

Candidates - you are allowed to respond to other candidates answers. If there are any questions with the format, please contact me via PM.

Thank you Porcupine and MCPR for hosting this debate and may we all have a passionate yet civil discussion regarding the issues at hand.

Since losing the Senate race a few weeks ago, I've been mostly been behind the scenes working to build a broken conservative movement back to her golden days when Tmfth was president. Even joining the legal fight to certify now-president Napoleon as the winner even though we have drastic differences. The greater threat was Tweed's attempt at a de jure coup which was soundly put in the ash heap of Atlasian history. If allowed to return I will seek to make government more responsible in fiscal matters while aiding veterans, at risk kids and alternative ideas on education.

Sadly the tax credit to homeschooling and private school families wasn't enacted into law. That was a big mistake made by the Polnut administration (present company excused). We all know education is best handled by regional and local governments. Adding needless red tape from Nyman is causing our kids to fall behind their foreign contempararies. While there may be merit behind what is called the "Finland System" it gives too much control to the federal government. What we need are ways to hold teachers and districts  accountable for student performance. Tenure should be ended and merit should be how evaluations are based. Kids shouldn't be stuck in failing schools due to burdensome regulations. The left needs to know that you shouldn't go to war with homeschooling families regarding finances. Why can't there be an opt out of the taxes for use of the public schools when these familes don't use them?

I do think that bringing back the role of Lt. Governor is a good idea. What I would do though is have the governor and Lt. run on the same ticket to promote health competition amongst the parties of the Mideast.

As for the number of assemblymen, it should've always stayed at five. While I understand why Gov. ZuWo had the idea he did it has a double edged sword to it. While it seemed like a good idea it could've hurt activity in the long run.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »

To the other candidates, what is your plan for improving the economic situation in the Mideast? Tax reform, Right to Work legislation, energy?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

1. I'd advocate at least a business flat tax of 3%. My long term goal is having the Mideast doing well to the point of scrapping a regional income tax and replacing with a 8% sales tax. As I have said before, unions are a good thing when they stick to their original purpose of advocating for safety in the workplace and fair hours. When they get in bed with the political structure and regulate non-union labor out of "shops" is when they go wrong. So yes Right to Work legislation would be a prudent step to balance the intrests of all involved. On energy we need to utilize everything the region has access to. But the government should not show bias in favor of one form of energy over another. Isn't that what it's doing when it subisidizes "green" energy over conventional sources. I know we don't like it but we will have to find a reasonable compromise to the energy question. Oldiesfreak makes a good point on taking a long term approach to alternative energy.

2. Though I am an avowed conservative, working in coalitions is vital to get anything of vital importance done in any assembly. Needless to say I will look at each bill on its own merits and go from there.

3. I'm pro-life and want to see the end of abortion. The current law is a just progression to that aim. Now with former governor Alfweich poised to become the Attourney General we must be ready to defend the legality of this law which Regional Justice Franzi upheld.

4. A balenced budget amendment is a commendable task that should be done as soon as possible. To get this done we need an amendment to the regional Constuition. Also reducing spending and wise reduction of regulations is a wise path to take. A business friendly climate is one the region should work for.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

I think he may be coming from the viewpoint that as that child in the womb is a life you can't punish that child for what the rapist did. This is why I support adoption in these kind of cases.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

I think he may be coming from the viewpoint that as that child in the womb is a life you can't punish that child for what the rapist did. This is why I support adoption in these kind of cases.

But you also can't punish the mother for being raped, that's like double jeopardy.

Agreed. That's why I advocate adoption. What we need is to find a point of justice for all sides. That's why this issue is so hard to navigate according to some. For me it's simple the rapist is put in jail, the baby lives, and we help the mother through the healing process.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »

But you also can't punish the mother for being raped, that's like double jeopardy.

Agreed. That's why I advocate adoption. What we need is to find a point of justice for all sides. That's why this issue is so hard to navigate according to some. For me it's simple the rapist is put in jail, the baby lives, and we help the mother through the healing process.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »

1. Look at the recent recall and expulsion of MPolitico. Our elected officials in the game must make every effort to be active players. My own recent uptick in activity was inspired by 20RP12 and his short lived presidential run. He's an example of how one should be active in the game. But we also need to remember that RL does take much more presedence to the game. As witnessed by Oakdales departure. As a conservatarian reformist Whig, making a hard line with some grace in case of serious personal situations is the prudent path. For example I'm not going to be seriously active between Christmas and New Years due to my attendance at a religious conference in Kansas City. We need to make proper activity rules a paramount issue.

2. I would take both my beliefs and the sensibilities of the citizens into deliberating a decision regarding any bill. Sometimes my beliefs and conscience will win out and sometimes the overwhelming will of Mideasterners will sway me. Needless to say it will go on a bill by bill basis.

3. Are there individuals I think my better in this game? I do but I'm in this because I believe every voice should have a place to speak out. That's why I'm running. I've learned a lot since my defeat in the senate race recently. The importance of having cross-party support, willingness to work with someone I disagree with on most issues to preserve our freedom and Atlasian way of life, and my advocacy concerning veterans issues. We need to help our fighting men and women to readjust to civilian life by any means possible. We need to look to our faith communities as well as mental health professionals to help ones still dealing with PTSD over seeing unit mates killed. Families hang in the balance. If questioned on the veterans advocacy later I will go into further depth of why this is personal as much as my pro-life and view of the traditional family.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

I've got a question for all candidates: The work of the Assembly hinges on pieces of legislation that are introduced by the members of the Assembly; if there are no bills to discuss there is nothing to do and the Assembly becomes a boring place. So, if you are elected to the Assembly, what are your legislative goals? Do you have any issues or even concrete bills in mind that you want to introduce as an elected member of the Assembly?

One of the biggest things I've spoken about since my senate run is the issue of human trafficking. Has the government in Nyman done anything about it? I can't say they have. So we in the regions need to come to the aid of the victims and the punishment for offenders. It should be added to the Mideast sex crimes statue. Also further aid needs to be given to our veterans upon return from the battlefield. In partnership with the federal government we need to give aid in the adjustment process back to civilian life. Look at the stories of suicides and broken families that are everywhere due to PTSD. My brother and his family would've been another statistic unless the faith community and veterans groups had stepped up. Even the formation of a Regional Guard akin to either the Swiss or American model should be formed. All within a framework of fiscal responsibility.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »

My question to all candidates is this.

What will you do, if anything to preserve LGBT rights in the Mideast?
Do all the candidates acknowledge that without the budget passing any and all tax cuts/raises and fiscal issues are more or less worthless until there's actual numbers signed into law?

*Note I would not have made this comment/question if we didn't not have a near finished version of a budget and planned to continue running our region without a budget

Therefore...

What changes, if any, would you suggest be made to the current version of the regional budget?
Atlasians regardless of political stripe know my opinion on this. For the new folks and others that don't, I oppose gay marriage, civil unions, and adoptions. I'm ok with partner benefits and anti-bullying campaigns so long as they don't denigrate those with religious views that see their lifestyle choice as one against religious dictate. The Don't Ask Don't Tell law that was unwisely repealed recently was a fair compromise between those who advocated full bans of gays and the Goldwater meme of   "You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight."

Yes I agree the most important priority is passing the budget. Even more important is to do so with it being balanced or even the regional government being with a surplus. Any changes on the tax structure? Fewer brackets sound much more fair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies