Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:21:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Texas implement the Medicaid expansion in the end?
Yes

Partially

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans  (Read 4215 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/09/perry-proudly-refuses-health-care-to-1-2-million-low-income-texans/
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »

It's times like this I wish Bill White was my governor.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »

He's obviously doing his part to close the trillion dollar budget deficit.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »

A family of three can only make $188 per month or less to qualify for Medicaid in Texas?  Holy crap.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

The thing that's interesting about all these high-profile conservative governors refusing to implement the ACA is that it's only a certain type of governor doing so. In fact, I can list the governors who have publicly refused the ACA (with a little bit of searching): Perry, Jindal, Scott Walker, Mitch Daniels, Rick Scott, Sam Brownback, Terry Brandstand, Denis Daugaard, Chris Christie, and Nikki Haley (so far).

Now what do they all have in common? Well, most of them have shown interest in high office; Perry and Brownback have even ran for the presidency before. All of them are Republican, but the point is that most of those governors have indicated or implied that they'd like bigger and better things than governor.

On the other hand, my state's very conservative governor Gary Herbert has indicated that, while he'd like the ACA to be repealed and he's hoping for an Obama defeat in November, he's not going to defy the Feds and refuse to implement the ACA. You'd think Herbert, being the governor of one of the most conservative states in the Union, would publicly fight against "Obamacare", but he doesn't. So my theory is that unless there's a critical mass of states refusing to implement the ACA, it'll mostly be the ambitious Governors doing it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »

What a "Christian"...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »

Inb4 republicans then turn around and use the data from these states to prove Obamacare isn't working.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »

Indeed.  What family values too.  I looked at the two linked stories that produced the last quote in the OP.  It turns out that a family of three that is already covered by welfare has a $188 per month eligibility cap to qualify for Medicaid.  That cap shakes out to 11.8% of the federal poverty level for a family that size.  I can't get past this little factoid today--it just blows my mind.  If you're a very poor family in Texas, you have a choice, food or a doctor, but not both.     
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »

Indeed.  What family values too.  I looked at the two linked stories that produced the last quote in the OP.  It turns out that a family of three that is already covered by welfare has a $188 per month eligibility cap to qualify for Medicaid.  That cap shakes out to 11.8% of the federal poverty level for a family that size.  I can't get past this little factoid today--it just blows my mind.  If you're a very poor family in Texas, you have a choice, food or a doctor, but not both.     

They just need to work harder. Or start their own business.

Regardless, they need to stop looking for government hand-outs and show more personal responsibility.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »

And that's exactly what they say, Franzl!  The second story I referred to above also notes that, because of its high proportion of agricultural jobs, about 10% fewer people in Texas are covered by employer-provided insurance than nationwide, and a Harris County ER chief quoted in the story says that 70% of the people who come there for care--and are regularly turned away--have jobs.  It's really amazing.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2012/June/21/houston-texas-uninsured.aspx#.T-SgKEbgNH4.facebook
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

They just need to work harder. Or start their own business.

Regardless, they need to stop looking for government hand-outs and show more personal responsibility.

This is what Republican actually believe. Modern Movement Conservatism has destroyed this country.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »

You're forgetting that the deficit was caused by tax cuts, krazen.  You would be more accurate to say 'he's doing his part to kill poors in order to maintain privilege' (though to be fair, that is redundant - privilege is always paid for with the death of those beneath you in the hierarchy).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

Now see, if there was such a thing as karma, he'd get sick and die.

sh**t, I'm sick right now... Wishing I could afford to see a damn doctor so I could get some medicine so I could stop coughing.
t_host1

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

This travesty that some claim to be happening has just been voted by a bunch of media and academia lib's that Texas is the # 1 state. CNBC
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »

This travesty that some claim to be happening has just been voted by a bunch of media and academia lib's that Texas is the # 1 state. CNBC

Number 1 state for who? Depends an awful lot on your perspective.
t_host1

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »

Wait just a dog gong minute! Since when does the lib haft to qualify their perspective?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »

You're forgetting that the deficit was caused by tax cuts, krazen.  You would be more accurate to say 'he's doing his part to kill poors in order to maintain privilege' (though to be fair, that is redundant - privilege is always paid for with the death of those beneath you in the hierarchy).

What tax cuts? The only tax cuts in recent history currently in effect were signed by Barack Obama.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

Wait just a dog gong minute! Since when does the lib haft to qualify their perspective?

Not really sure what you're attempting to express here.

At any rate, Texas is certainly first or close to first in many things. Most of them things I would be ashamed of, but to each his own.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »

What tax cuts? The only tax cuts in recent history currently in effect were signed by Barack Obama.

I never said anything about Obama.  The top tax rate used to be 70% or more, now it isn't.  That's the problem.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »

I never said anything about Obama.  The top tax rate used to be 70% or more, now it isn't.  That's the problem.

Are you referring to prior times when the federal government collected less revenues and spend less money than it did during the Bush administration?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

Are you referring to prior times when the federal government collected less revenues and spend less money than it did during the Bush administration?

Are you going by absolute numbers? Lol.
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

Good for Rick.  Good for Texas.  Good for Common Sense.

Down here, we don't like using our childrens' credit card to borrow money for handouts.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »

it's amazing, it seems elements of the GOP have gone past the point of being of service to capital (note the bit about the hospital industry and PPACA), and now are motivated by a pure and fascistic hate of the declassed Other.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

Are you going by absolute numbers? Lol.

No, as a percentage of gross domestic product. I use the charts here.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals

For instance, in 1965, federal receipts and outlays were 17% of GDP. I wonder if that is what opebo prefers.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »

It turns out that a family of three that is already covered by welfare has a $188 per month eligibility cap to qualify for Medicaid.  That cap shakes out to 11.8% of the federal poverty level for a family that size.  I can't get past this little factoid today--it just blows my mind.

Yeah, the state eligibility requirements for welfare and Medicaid are terrible. When Republicans say they want to send other programs like Medicare, Social Security, food stamps, etc to the states this is what they have in mind.

A government safety net should be as low to the ground as possible to prevent moochers from livin' large. Ideally we could outsource this net to the private sector for further budget efficiencies.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies