Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:10:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Texas implement the Medicaid expansion in the end?
Yes

Partially

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Rick Perry ‘proudly’ refuses health care to 1.2 million low-income Texans  (Read 4295 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »

A family of three can only make $188 per month or less to qualify for Medicaid in Texas?  Holy crap.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:24:39 PM »

Indeed.  What family values too.  I looked at the two linked stories that produced the last quote in the OP.  It turns out that a family of three that is already covered by welfare has a $188 per month eligibility cap to qualify for Medicaid.  That cap shakes out to 11.8% of the federal poverty level for a family that size.  I can't get past this little factoid today--it just blows my mind.  If you're a very poor family in Texas, you have a choice, food or a doctor, but not both.     
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »

And that's exactly what they say, Franzl!  The second story I referred to above also notes that, because of its high proportion of agricultural jobs, about 10% fewer people in Texas are covered by employer-provided insurance than nationwide, and a Harris County ER chief quoted in the story says that 70% of the people who come there for care--and are regularly turned away--have jobs.  It's really amazing.

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Stories/2012/June/21/houston-texas-uninsured.aspx#.T-SgKEbgNH4.facebook
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:35 AM »

So, thousands of *working* parents of Texas families will, both for themselves and for their children, have to go without routine or specialized health care, and state hospitals will lose money, just so Rick Perry can brag to TEA-Partiers in 2016, only to lose the primary miserably...again?  

Dear Governor Perry, go f yourself.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies