reconciliations of the divinity of Christ w/ a non-literal reading of Genesis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:31:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  reconciliations of the divinity of Christ w/ a non-literal reading of Genesis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: reconciliations of the divinity of Christ w/ a non-literal reading of Genesis  (Read 1639 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »

go
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

The image of the Creator is a reference to rational/spiritual/emotional life generally rather than human biology specifically.

Off the top of my head. I'm sure I'd explain this more clearly and maybe nuance it more if I weren't in the middle of something right now and had more time to think about it.
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:52 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "non-literal".  If by "literal" you're referring to defining each word by its primary meaning, regardless of context and/or alternative definitions, then Genesis is going to fall apart internally, before being compared with Christ's nature.

But, if by "non-literal" you mean viewing Genesis as simply an analogy (and not as a historical account with deeply embedded allegorical meanings), then you're going to make a mockery out of the entire Bible, because the rest of the Bible, including Jesus’ comments, treat it as an historical account.

Both of the above approaches (being too literal, or being too non-literal) are extreme and lead to irreconcilable contradictions, either internally or holistically.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »

Jesus didn't realize the earth is billions of years old, since humanity was hundreds of years from making that discovery in Jesus's time. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was omniscient about then-undiscovered scientific facts.
Return of the Mack
TexasMack
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 05:39:08 PM »

Jesus didn't realize the earth is billions of years old, since humanity was hundreds of years from making that discovery in Jesus's time. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus was omniscient about then-undiscovered scientific facts.

If Jesus was the creator of the universe, don't you think he (God) knows about the laws that govern the universe, as Job 38:33 points out?  What undiscovered scientific facts are not already known by God?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »

If Jesus was the creator of the universe, don't you think he (God) knows about the laws that govern the universe, as Job 38:33 points out?  What undiscovered scientific facts are not already known by God?

You're venturing into the territory of how precisely Christ's divine nature and His human nature interact, here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:48:34 AM »

"In the beginning was the Word,"  "by him all things were created" - leaves a lot of room for the when and the how.  Maybe it was Christ who gave us that burst of energy and entropy in space that created time.   
Was Christ descended from primates?  It's maybe not the most pleasant thought, but the incarnation is no less possible in that case. If we are not just human but also hominid, then Christ partakes in that also, and bestows divine grace to it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 04:46:58 AM »

"In the beginning was the Word,"  "by him all things were created" - leaves a lot of room for the when and the how.  Maybe it was Christ who gave us that burst of energy and entropy in space that created time.   
Was Christ descended from primates?  It's maybe not the most pleasant thought, but the incarnation is no less possible in that case. If we are not just human but also hominid, then Christ partakes in that also, and bestows divine grace to it.

It's not a matter of 'if'; we are.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »

It's not a matter of 'if'; we are.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://csmt.uchicago.edu/glossary2004/dialectic.htm
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

In Romans, Paul interpreted the account of Adam and Eve's fall as literal.  Since Paul had been a Pharisee and thus probably knew the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) better than anyone else, I would trust that it was literal.  Then agaim, he could have made a mistake, though I highly doubt it.  As for creation, my church mostly believes that Gd created the world in six literal days and rested on the seventh day.  I don't think they were necessarily literal "days", but I think God could have done it that way of He wanted to (and maybe did.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies