Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Documents reveal Romney stayed longer at Bain Capital  (Read 3153 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »

I think this quote from Obama sums it all up nicely:

Well, here's what I know, we were just talking about responsibility and as president of the United States, it's pretty clear to me that I'm responsible for folks who are working in the federal government and you know, Harry Truman said ['T]he buck stops with you[']."

The quote that Obama was stretching for, before he fell on his rhetorical face again, was "The buck stops here".  And it wasn't famous because Harry Truman said it.  It was the wording of a sign on the dead white Klansman's desk.

Frankly, I'll bet dollars to donuts that Obama doesn't know what "the buck" means in that adage.
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »

As for the political effect of it, we can tell the Romney Campaign thinks the story is damaging based on the way they uncharacteristically scrambled a slew of interviews in response to it.  I'll say it again.  Voters have a range of levels of attentiveness and sophistication.  The fact that Romney was the president and CEO, contradicting his own claims, while Bain got in bed with outsourcing pioneers is going to hurt him.  It's obvious.  There may be a segment of undecided voters (a minority probably) who are able to make distinction between Romney's being CEO of Bain and in total control of Bain, but that level of sophistication will simultaneously allow them to see the distinction between being President with a hostile congress and being in full control of economic policy.  And Romney's case looks worse.  Even setting aside the fact that Romney was the co-founder and CEO of Bain, there's no reason to believe he was unaware or had any objection to what Bain was doing from 1999-2002.  What about it seems even slightly inconsistent with his philosophy and approach to business?  On the other hand, because of divided government, there are elements of economic policy diametrically opposed to Obama's views.  But I don't know most voters view that kind of nuance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies