Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:19:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Bye bye, Chairman Specter?  (Read 25857 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:21 AM »

Check out this story from http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7659 How great is grassrootspa.com? They're always on top of stories like this...

American Spectator: Arlen Lied To Senators, Movement To Remove Him From Senate Judiciary Chair Beginning...

American Spectator:

Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Arlen Specter went back on his word to Republican caucus members and conservative groups alike when he recently hired Hannibal G. Williams II Kemerer, who until recently was the NAACP's assistant general counsel. Specter hired Kemerer against the wishes of his senior Judiciary Committee staff. "We warned him this was going to cause trouble, but Specter said it was his committee, we are his staff, and he's going to do what he believes is right," says a Judiciary Committee staffer.
Specter hired Kemerer to deal specifically with the nominations and vetting of federal judicial nominees, a position many conservatives were led to believe by Specter would go, at the very least, to a Republican, and most likely to a conservative.

Specter, according to a longtime conservative judicial observer, made those promises during a meeting in late 2004 at which Specter was pleading for an opportunity to serve as Judiciary Chairman.
But Specter, according to some close advisers, has told them as well as Kemerer that Kemerer will play a "critical" role on the Judiciary Committee.

"What everybody seems to be forgetting is that this guy is going to have access to all of our files, to all of our briefings. He will have access to everything because he is on the majority staff. If he were a Democratic hire, it might be another matter," says the Judiciary staffer. "But theoretically he is one of us."

Specter has further inflamed both the White House and Republican leadership in the Senate by his request that all judicial nominees -- even those who previously were cleared by the Judiciary Committee -- go through committee hearings. This would mean that someone like filibustered Texas supreme court justice Priscilla Owen would have to face full committee once again. "That hasn't gotten out too far, as far as I know," says the committee staffer. "But conservative legal groups are livid."

Specter's decisions are expected to have rippling effects. Already there is talk among some conservative groups of punishing fellow Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum for what they view was duplicitous behavior in backing Specter's candidacy for the Judiciary chairmanship. Santorum, who expects to have a tough reelection fight in 2006, is expected to distance himself from Specter in the coming days.
Meanwhile, other conservatives are attempting to figure out what can be done to have Specter removed as chairman. Meetings are planned on Friday and early next week with Sens. Jon Kyl and John Cornyn to map out strategies. One figure looming large, but who has not yet spoken out on this issue, is Sen. Sam Brownback. According to Senate insiders, Brownback was very active early in the controversy in November and early December when Specter's candidacy and position as Judiciary Chairman was in doubt. Brownback's staff met with a number of grassroots organizations actively opposed to Specter's chairmanship. And this was before Brownback knew he would be sitting on the Judiciary Committee.

As for Senate Republican leadership, it is believed that Sen. Bill Frist is not necessarily inclined to prevent his caucus from taking steps either to punish Specter or to leave him twisting in the wind. "When Specter was worried about his job, you didn't see Frist out there patting him on the back and telling him it would be okay," says a staffer on the National Republican Senatorial Committee. "Frist was very fair and made Specter earn it. Now Specter has pissed all that good will away, and we want blood."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:44:27 AM »

Shouldn't this have been expected? This is what happens when you support people like Specter. Don't blame me! I supported Toomey!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »

2 thoughts on this.

(1) Guess you PA Repubs should have voted for Hoeffel.

(2) If Kemerer is the most qualified individual for the job then why not hire him?  Specter was elected to represent ALL of the people of PA, not just the Republicans.  (You guys are the ones who get upset when people disown politicians by saying things like "he's not my president".)  At the end of the day Specter can always override Kemerer.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:16:07 PM »

2 thoughts on this.

(1) Guess you PA Repubs should have voted for Hoeffel.

(2) If Kemerer is the most qualified individual for the job then why not hire him?  Specter was elected to represent ALL of the people of PA, not just the Republicans.  (You guys are the ones who get upset when people disown politicians by saying things like "he's not my president".)  At the end of the day Specter can always override Kemerer.

1) No way. We should have had Toomey as our nominee.

2) Specter had promised to appoint a conservative Republican to the position who I am sure would have served ALL of us well. Once again, Specter goes back on his word yet people in my party still insist that we have to support him. Let Specter play his games but make sure that at the end of all of this that he loses the position.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

Good for Specter!  Maybe if the religious party senators remove him from his chairmanship, he and Chaffee, Collins, and Snowe can change to the good side.
danwxman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »

More then half of Pennsylvania Republicans voted for Specter over Toomey....and he then won re-election. I'm sorry that you are in the minority Phil.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 02:41:30 PM »

More then half of Pennsylvania Republicans voted for Specter over Toomey....and he then won re-election. I'm sorry that you are in the minority Phil.

51-49. Pretty pathetic for that Senator who was supposed to win by double digits, had all the money, all the party establishment support, and so on.

More than 53% of Pennsylvanians voted for Rick Santorum in 2000, dan. I'm sorry you're in the minority. We're all in the minority for something.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »

first of all let me add, that im a strong supporter of president bush, and i support *most* of his judicial nominees.

however, the white house has no right to be pissed at specter.  they want him to rubber-stamp all of bush's appointments.  that is not the job of the senate.  if specter were to do that, hed be abdicating his reponsibilities as a senator.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 03:12:46 PM »

first of all let me add, that im a strong supporter of president bush, and i support *most* of his judicial nominees.

however, the white house has no right to be pissed at specter.  they want him to rubber-stamp all of bush's appointments.  that is not the job of the senate.  if specter were to do that, hed be abdicating his reponsibilities as a senator.

He's not being asked to be a rubber stamp. He was the one who promised something to those that promised to support him. He went back on it. Also, bringing up judges that have already been confirmed is a ridiculous idea.
danwxman

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 03:13:26 PM »

He's not being asked to be a rubber stamp. He was the one who promised something to those that promised to support him. He went back on it. Also, bringing up judges that have already been confirmed is a ridiculous idea.

What's more important...politics or integrity? I guess we see which side you stand on.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 03:22:02 PM »

What's more important...politics or integrity? I guess we see which side you stand on.

Integrity would require standing by your word. Specter hasn't done that.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think Specter made this promise during the election, did he?  Kemerer is responsible for the vetting process.  If he fails in that responsibility surely he would be fired and replaced.  If anything he's going to be extra cautious in the vetting process because he'll know there's a target on his back.  Remember, Specter can always override him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 03:33:29 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think Specter made this promise during the election, did he?  Kemerer is responsible for the vetting process.  If he fails in that responsibility surely he would be fired and replaced.  If anything he's going to be extra cautious in the vetting process because he'll know there's a target on his back.  Remember, Specter can always override him.

He made a promise to those that promised to support him for Judiciary Chair and he went back on his word. Is that integrity?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »

Don't blame me, I supported Clymer
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »

He made a promise to those that promised to support him for Judiciary Chair and he went back on his word. Is that integrity?

Yes, it is, because he is more concerned about representing those who voted for him, and protecting American's freedom, than giving in to a bunch of intolerant religious.
danwxman

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 03:50:36 PM »

Yes, it is, because he is more concerned about representing those who voted for him, and protecting American's freedom, than giving in to a bunch of intolerant religious.

Agreed. I'd rather have him stand up for the people who elected him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 04:14:29 PM »

But he's breaking the promises he made to those that chose him as Chairman. Who's to say that a conservative, which he promised, wouldn't serve the people of PA? Can't he serve the people and keep his promises?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 11:05:45 PM »

But he's breaking the promises he made to those that chose him as Chairman. Who's to say that a conservative, which he promised, wouldn't serve the people of PA? Can't he serve the people and keep his promises?

Sometimes you cannot do that.  Do you really think he WANTED to break a promise and deal with the headaches that he, an experienced politician, knew that would cause?

I can't believe I'm defending Arlen Specter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 11:58:47 PM »

Sometimes you cannot do that.  Do you really think he WANTED to break a promise and deal with the headaches that he, an experienced politician, knew that would cause?

Oh come on. Specter is known for this stuff.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 02:42:02 AM »

Ok, so you think he wanted to deal with these headaches.  You're entitled to your opinion.  I just don't think it makes sense.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 02:51:56 AM »

Ok, so you think he wanted to deal with these headaches. 

He wants to do whatever his heart desires.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 04:14:01 AM »

Shouldn't this have been expected? This is what happens when you support people like Specter. Don't blame me! I supported Toomey!

Ah, but did the fellow in your sig?

Cheap shot, I know.  But now Bush, Santorum, and the establishment reap what they sow.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »

Cheap shot, I know.  But now Bush, Santorum, and the establishment reap what they sow.

I totally agree, John Ford. I totally agree.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005, 12:44:47 PM »

You are crazy... his first obligation is to the people, not the party.

If you think he should keep every promise he makes with the party then I seriously don't want you voting.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 12:48:09 PM »

You are crazy... his first obligation is to the people, not the party.

If you think he should keep every promise he makes with the party then I seriously don't want you voting.

I'm crazy to suggest that it's wrong that he lied to his fellow Senators for support? I guess a conservative, which he promised, cannot serve the people?

Arlen Specter has made many promises to this party and continues to go back on his word.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies