Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Bye bye, Chairman Specter?  (Read 25847 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2005, 10:40:52 PM »

Here's Arlen Specter's campaign working hard for the President.

Where is that a broken promise?  That is just him deciding he prefers one candidate over the other.  Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean he should resign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2005, 10:45:45 PM »

Where is that a broken promise?  That is just him deciding he prefers one candidate over the other.  Just because you disagree with him doesn't mean he should resign.

Nice try. Specter said he would campaign for the President. He broke his promise and people in his campaign made up this sign. Your attempts at defending Specter are really pathetic. I don't even think Specter himself could believe you.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2005, 11:11:04 PM »

Nice try. Specter said he would campaign for the President. He broke his promise and people in his campaign made up this sign. Your attempts at defending Specter are really pathetic. I don't even think Specter himself could believe you.

I'm not really a Specter fan ... I voted Hoeffel.  What I'm really doing here is pointing out that you're whining because Specter doesn't want to play all out cronyism.  Now I fail to recall ever seeing Specter pledge to campaign for Bush (although I did see him campaign for Bush).

All of that said, there's no need to start launching personal attacks.  If you would prefer that to rational discussion just say so.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2005, 11:28:24 PM »

I'm not really a Specter fan ... I voted Hoeffel.  What I'm really doing here is pointing out that you're whining because Specter doesn't want to play all out cronyism.  Now I fail to recall ever seeing Specter pledge to campaign for Bush (although I did see him campaign for Bush).

All of that said, there's no need to start launching personal attacks.  If you would prefer that to rational discussion just say so.

He did promise to work hard for the President's campaign and hardly did a thing. Then his campaign makes Kerry-Specter signs.

He's broken too many promises. He's walked all over the GOP leaders. He should be removed.
PADem

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2005, 11:55:14 PM »

first of all let me add, that im a strong supporter of president bush, and i support *most* of his judicial nominees.

however, the white house has no right to be pissed at specter.  they want him to rubber-stamp all of bush's appointments.  that is not the job of the senate.  if specter were to do that, hed be abdicating his reponsibilities as a senator.

He's not being asked to be a rubber stamp. He was the one who promised something to those that promised to support him. He went back on it. Also, bringing up judges that have already been confirmed is a ridiculous idea.

What's more important...politics or integrity? I guess we see which side you stand on.

Integrity would require standing by your word. Specter hasn't done that.

How so. He put his ideology and his values before party politics. That doesn't happen on either side of the aisle much these days. Thats integrity in my book.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2005, 12:02:09 AM »

first of all let me add, that im a strong supporter of president bush, and i support *most* of his judicial nominees.

however, the white house has no right to be pissed at specter.  they want him to rubber-stamp all of bush's appointments.  that is not the job of the senate.  if specter were to do that, hed be abdicating his reponsibilities as a senator.

He's not being asked to be a rubber stamp. He was the one who promised something to those that promised to support him. He went back on it. Also, bringing up judges that have already been confirmed is a ridiculous idea.

What's more important...politics or integrity? I guess we see which side you stand on.

How so. He put his ideology and his values before party politics. That doesn't happen on either side of the aisle much these days. Thats integrity in my book.

He said one thing and did another.  If that's your idea of integrity, okay.

Welcome to the Forum in any case.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2005, 12:09:49 AM »

He's broken too many promises. He's walked all over the GOP leaders. He should be removed.

The thing is, the GOP Conference can make this determination and remove him, if they desire.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2005, 01:46:02 AM »

Specter has always been to the left of the Republican Party and pretty much a moderate.  The GOP has gone further to the right over the last few years.  Why would Specter go against his beliefs and go towards this hard-core right wing agenda when he is a moderate??

Also I don't recall Specter saying he is going to go all out & campaign for Bush, he said he would support the President, but that doesn't mean he has to go all out for him or support his every move, especially when it goes against his own beliefs.  I just thinnk your bitter towards Specter because he doesn't fit into the hard-core right wing agenda of George bush and your beloved Rick Santorum.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2005, 01:48:43 AM »

He was going to work hard for the Bush-Cheney ticket here. Hardly did a thing. Funniest point: Not only did he pretty much totally ignore Bush-Cheney in PA, someone on his campaign made up "Kerry and Specter - Fighting for PA's working families" signs. Gotta love Arlen!

So he's the opposite of that Frost guy.
At least Specter won, and isn't begging to be his party's chair.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2005, 02:10:30 AM »

Is it more important for a Senator to

1) Follow his instincts and hire the best person to do a job for the American people.

OR

2) Hire someone who is 2nd rate just to keep a promise to his party's leadership.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2005, 02:13:07 AM »

If you think this person is 2nd rate, don't make promises you can't keep.

Actually, just in general, don't make promises you can't keep.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2005, 02:20:56 AM »

Yeah well ... politicians say stupid things.  They say, "no new taxes" or "combat operations in Iraq are over" or promise to maintain steel tariffs and then 3 days later lift them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2005, 02:55:03 PM »

1) Follow his instincts and hire the best person to do a job for the American people.

OR

2) Hire someone who is 2nd rate just to keep a promise to his party's leadership.

Where is "Be honest to his colleagues" on that list?

Jump around it all you'd like, Wakie. Specter has broken his promises to his colleagues.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2005, 02:58:06 PM »

Yeah...see...breaking promises to your colleagues is not integrity.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

OR

Jump around it all you'd like, Wakie. Specter has broken his promises to his colleagues.

Oh I'll make no bones about it ... Specter broke his promise.  This leads us to ask the question ... why would a guy who was already walking on thin ice with his party do that?

Your explanation seems to be "he just loves doing it".  That is ridiculous.

If there was something in it for him you could make that argument.  But the only thing he gets out of this are headaches.

The only rational conclusion is that he thought Kremerer was the best person for the job.

I find it refreshing that a politician would be willing to tell his party to get stuffed in order to do what he feels is right for America.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2005, 06:04:55 PM »

OR

Oh I'll make no bones about it ... Specter broke his promise.  This leads us to ask the question ... why would a guy who was already walking on thin ice with his party do that?

If there was something in it for him you could make that argument.  But the only thing he gets out of this are headaches.

The only rational conclusion is that he thought Kremerer was the best person for the job.

I find it refreshing that a politician would be willing to tell his party to get stuffed in order to do what he feels is right for America.

Ok well you're wrong right of the bat. I don't say "he just loves doing it."

Specter's ego is immeasurable. Power, power, power. Why do you think he made the Kerry-Specter signs? He wanted to boost his support in Philly. He knew that with Clymer on the ballot he wouldn't get the complete landslide that he wanted.

He broke his promise to his colleagues so he could get the post. I don't think that's doing something "right" for America. I think it only feeds into the stereotype that politicians are crooked and willing to break a promise.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2005, 06:19:01 PM »

OR

Specter's ego is immeasurable. Power, power, power. Why do you think he made the Kerry-Specter signs? He wanted to boost his support in Philly. He knew that with Clymer on the ballot he wouldn't get the complete landslide that he wanted.

He broke his promise to his colleagues so he could get the post. I don't think that's doing something "right" for America. I think it only feeds into the stereotype that politicians are crooked and willing to break a promise.

1) You claim Specter made the "Specter & Kerry" sign.  Maybe he did or maybe a staffer produced them.  I'm really not all that hung up on it since that doesn't tie into this issue at all.

2) You said that Specter is doing this because he wants power.  If that were true he would have nominated an ultra-conservative.  That would get him in tighter with his party so that he would be able to climb higher on the political jungle gym.  Realistically he isn't ever running for reelection.

3) I can understand how your argument applies to why Specter made the promise in the first place.  But your argument doesn't explain why he's breaking it though.  Mine does.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2005, 06:23:18 PM »

OR

1) You claim Specter made the "Specter & Kerry" sign.  Maybe he did or maybe a staffer produced them.  I'm really not all that hung up on it since that doesn't tie into this issue at all.

2) You said that Specter is doing this because he wants power.  If that were true he would have nominated an ultra-conservative.  That would get him in tighter with his party so that he would be able to climb higher on the political jungle gym.  Realistically he isn't ever running for reelection.

3) I can understand how your argument applies to why Specter made the promise in the first place.  But your argument doesn't explain why he's breaking it though.  Mine does.

1) A Specter staffer was responsible for this. However, there weren't just two or three signs. The campaign had to have authorized that. I didn't see any myself but apparently they were on some major roadways here in Philly.

2) He promised something to get the power and when he got the power, he broke it. He can't climb much higher so he made the promise and then went against nominating the conservative.

3) I'm explaining to you why he broke it. He wanted whoever he wanted from the beginning but realized he had to promise something to win the spot. Once it was won, Specter could do whatever he wanted. Or so he thought...
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2005, 09:15:08 PM »

1) Yeah, they probably did authorize it.  I'm not all that hung up on this issue and I don't really see where it applies for this conversation.

2) Oh he certainly could climb higher.  6 years is a long time.  There are other committees.  There is certainly legislation he's going to want to get through Congress.  There is quite a bit he could have "won" through brown-nosing.

3) Specter may have had this guy in mind to begin with or he may not have.  Neither you or I can really say because we can't crawl into Specter's head.  At the end of the day though he clearly believes this guy is the best person for the job.  Shouldn't he hire the best person for the job for the American people?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2005, 09:23:24 PM »

1) Yeah, they probably did authorize it.  I'm not all that hung up on this issue and I don't really see where it applies for this conversation.

2) Oh he certainly could climb higher.  6 years is a long time.  There are other committees.  There is certainly legislation he's going to want to get through Congress.  There is quite a bit he could have "won" through brown-nosing.

3) Specter may have had this guy in mind to begin with or he may not have.  Neither you or I can really say because we can't crawl into Specter's head.  At the end of the day though he clearly believes this guy is the best person for the job.  Shouldn't he hire the best person for the job for the American people?

1) It has to do with his consistent breaking of promises.

2) Specter won't go higher than Judiciary Chairman.

3) Stop this "it's what's best for the American people." stuff. The American people are tired of seeing politicians breaking promises. They could be served well by a conservative Republican.
Rococo4

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2005, 10:27:57 PM »

OR

Phil, I was with you in this battle between Toomey and Specter in the spring and almost no one would listen.  Unfourtanetly, we are going to be proved right.  It has already started.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »

3) Stop this "it's what's best for the American people." stuff. The American people are tired of seeing politicians breaking promises. They could be served well by a conservative Republican.

See their is your problem right there.  You don't care who the best person for the job is, all you care about is that the person is a Conservative Republican.  This may come as a shock to you, but sometimes (gasp) the best person for the job is not a conservative Republican. 

Also you seem to be set in your mind that Specter had his guy from the start.  Well his guy was still at the NAACP when Specter made this so called promise.  Maybe he knew the guy was going to leave and become avalible or maybe he didn't know he would be available and had someone else in mind wwhen he made the promise, but when kremer left the NAACP and became available, Specter felt he was the best person for the job, and only went back on the promise because someone he felt was better suited for the job suddenlt became available and that person wasn't available (as he was still with the NAACP) when the promise was made.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2005, 11:27:20 PM »

See their is your problem right there.  You don't care who the best person for the job is, all you care about is that the person is a Conservative Republican.  This may come as a shock to you, but sometimes (gasp) the best person for the job is not a conservative Republican. 

Also you seem to be set in your mind that Specter had his guy from the start.  Well his guy was still at the NAACP when Specter made this so called promise.  Maybe he knew the guy was going to leave and become avalible or maybe he didn't know he would be available and had someone else in mind wwhen he made the promise, but when kremer left the NAACP and became available, Specter felt he was the best person for the job, and only went back on the promise because someone he felt was better suited for the job suddenlt became available and that person wasn't available (as he was still with the NAACP) when the promise was made.

Don't give me that. A conservative could have served us just as well. If this guy was what was right, why didn't Specter stand up and say to his colleagues "He's the right guy." ? Don't tell me that he didn't know about this guy when he made his promise either.

This is typical Arlen Specter. Where are his GOP defenders? Where is Santorum? Where is Frist? They thought he was right before but they know he is wrong now. Bye bye, Chairman Specter. That is what's right for America.

(By the way, you guys are also missing the point that Specter wants already confirmed judges to have another hearing. Yeah, that's right. Already confirmed judges. That must be right for America, too.)
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »

Phil, you keep banging on this drum saying he consistently breaks promises but all you come up with is this position.  You claim that somehow a campaign sign is also a broken promise but I think you're reaching.

Seriously, this sounds like you are bitter that not every position in government is filled by a conservative Republican.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »

Phil, you keep banging on this drum saying he consistently breaks promises but all you come up with is this position.  You claim that somehow a campaign sign is also a broken promise but I think you're reaching.

Seriously, this sounds like you are bitter that not every position in government is filled by a conservative Republican.

I'm reaching? Did you not see the sign? Defend Specter all you want. It's obvious that he breaks promises. I won't sit here, wasting my time trying to convince the unconvincable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies