Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:15:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bye bye, Chairman Specter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Bye bye, Chairman Specter?  (Read 25840 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2005, 03:12:14 PM »

The Specetr defenses here have gotten a bit laughable.  There are certain incontrovertible facts.

If Specter had not promised to back Bush's nominees and campaign for himm in the state, Bush would not have campaigned for himm in the Primaries and Toomey would have won that primary.

Specter did not campaign for Bush, nor is he backing a conservative judicial agenda.  Had he told the truth, he would have lost.

If Specter had not promised to appoint conservatives to the committee staff and back Bush's nominees, the caucus would never have named him Chairman of Judiciary.

Speccter has nominated arch leftists to the staff and has admonished Bush for sending conservatives to the bench.  Had he told the truth, he would not have become chairman.

Some, like me and Keystone, knew he was lying and never trusted him.  But he did trick enough people to win the primary and then to become head of Judiciary.  That makes him a liar, and it invalidates his victories to some extent because they were won by lying, and had he told the truth he'd have lost.  That's reprehensible, and Democrats would not defend a pro-lfe Democrat who had done the same thing and they know it.

Few things here the reaspn bush supported Specter had nothing to do with any promises.  They were soley political reasons of his own.  bottom line is PA is a moderate state, it would not elect two hard-core righties to the Senate.  Toomey gets the nod it brings out more of the leftest vote in the state and Bush's chances of winning the state go down.  As far as specter not backing Bush's nominees.  He has backed most of them, that doesn't mean he has to back and rubber stamp every single one.  bottom line is Specter knows if Bush nominates hard-core righties their will be an issue in getting them the nomination so he basically said it would be a good idea to back off the hard-core righties and nominate judges which will have broader support as opposed to judges which will lead to a partisan bitch fest.  The problem here is simple, Specter is a moderate Republican who sometimes thinks outside the box doesn't agree with everything Bush does, and is not going to rubberstamp the hard-core Conservatives bush wants to put through and because of that many conservatives are pissed.

First of all, the lefties here were energized enough. To suggest that because Pat Toomey was on the ballot and therefore increase liberal turnout is a flat out joke.

It's not about being a rubberstamp. It's about keeping the promises to those that save your political career. Specter made the promises. Specter should keep the promises. He has proven to me and many others that he is only concerned about one thing: his ego.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2005, 03:25:15 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

You know, if you didn't like Specter you didn't have to vote for him.  Bush and Santorum didn't have to endorse him (I guess their lust for power outweighed their better judgement, eh?).  Don't blame me, I voted for Hoeffel.

Your party seems to be lynching its moderates though.  McCain, Chaffee, Whitman, and now Specter are all being shouted down by the extreme rightwing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2005, 03:31:52 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

You know, if you didn't like Specter you didn't have to vote for him.  Bush and Santorum didn't have to endorse him (I guess their lust for power outweighed their better judgement, eh?).  Don't blame me, I voted for Hoeffel.

Your party seems to be lynching its moderates though.  McCain, Chaffee, Whitman, and now Specter are all being shouted down by the extreme rightwing.

I'm not of voting age yet. Thank God I didn't have to cast a ballot for him and at this point, I have come to the decision that I would have voted for Clymer. I would have actually campaigned for Specter before voting for Hoeffel.

I am disappointed in President Bush and Senator Santorum for supporting Specter. Now they have to deal with him. If the President and Santorum had stayed out, Toomey would have won by about 4-6 points.

My party isn't lynching anyone. People like Specter and Chafee pretty much stand in the way of what Republicans believe in.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2005, 12:25:49 AM »

Phil, the email is sent.

I'm not of voting age yet. Thank God I didn't have to cast a ballot for him and at this point, I have come to the decision that I would have voted for Clymer. I would have actually campaigned for Specter before voting for Hoeffel.

I am disappointed in President Bush and Senator Santorum for supporting Specter. Now they have to deal with him. If the President and Santorum had stayed out, Toomey would have won by about 4-6 points.

My party isn't lynching anyone. People like Specter and Chafee pretty much stand in the way of what Republicans believe in.

Toomey would have lost

Anyway you guys are basically lyniching the moderates in your party 9Specter, Chafee, McCain) anyone that doesn't believe in the hard-core right-wing philosophy that dares question Bush you guys treat like dirt
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2005, 02:38:07 AM »

I really hope no Republicans try to claim like supersoulty does all the time that the Republicans have a much bigger tent and are more accepting of moderates, just look here. We have a pro-life Democrat as Minority Leader now, and there's been basically no whining here.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2005, 02:44:10 AM »

Reid's not pro life.  And yes, our tent is bigger.

Problem is we're like the mafia, a kind of loyalty is required.  You make a promise to us, you keep it or else.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2005, 08:49:21 AM »

Problem is we're like the mafia, a kind of loyalty is required.  You make a promise to us, you keep it or else.

http://www.issues2000.org/Social/Harry_Reid_Abortion.htm
Oh yeah ... he's not pro-life.

The Republicans are a big tent?  Not according to Christie Todd Whitman.  In her new book she says quite the opposite.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2005, 02:11:21 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2005, 02:34:22 PM by Vice President Keystone Phil »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Anyway you guys are basically lyniching the moderates in your party 9Specter, Chafee, McCain) anyone that doesn't believe in the hard-core right-wing philosophy that dares question Bush you guys treat like dirt

Toomey would have won.

Anyway, this party gives moderates a big voice. How did we "lynch" McCain? He was a prime time speaker at the convention! Specter received a lot of support from the GOP establishment. Must have been a "lynching" in disguise, right Smash? And Specter isn't even a moderate! He's a liberal.

Everything is "far right" with you. You throw around that label far too lightly.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2005, 02:30:09 PM »

Specter (, the Judiciary Comittee) has no role in actually nominating judges, right? I know he officially has none, but I don't know if the Senate and White House work together on this.

If not, then I am sure he will not be a problem. The White House would obviously twist some arms in Congress until this guy was out of a job.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »

The Republicans are a big tent?  Not according to Christie Todd Whitman.  In her new book she says quite the opposite.

Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions.
Voted YES on disallowing overseas military abortions.
Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions.

Unless you think the majority the vast of Americans are pro-life, then this does not qualify Reid as pro-life.  All of these measures passed the Senate, yet the Senate voted this past year to declare that the Roe v. Wade case was "rightly decided".  So obviously. many Senators support these measures but still think abortion is a Constitutional right.

If you believe abortion should be illegal unless there is rape, incest, or the life/health of the mother in danger, then you are pro-life.  If you don't believe that, you are not pro life.  Someone like Reid, who voted to affirm Roe in a sense of the Senate resolution does not believe abortion should be illegal, and is therefore not pro-life.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2005, 02:45:09 PM »

Health is a little too broad. That could encompass a lot of things ("I have morning sickness").

Anyway, the Judiciary Committee is just about confirming judges, and plays no role at all in appointing them, right?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2005, 03:07:14 PM »

Health is a little too broad. That could encompass a lot of things ("I have morning sickness").

Anyway, the Judiciary Committee is just about confirming judges, and plays no role at all in appointing them, right?

None, Constitutionally anyway.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2005, 03:10:30 PM »

Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions.
Voted YES on disallowing overseas military abortions.
Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life.
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions.

Unless you think the majority the vast of Americans are pro-life, then this does not qualify Reid as pro-life.  All of these measures passed the Senate, yet the Senate voted this past year to declare that the Roe v. Wade case was "rightly decided".  So obviously. many Senators support these measures but still think abortion is a Constitutional right.

If you believe abortion should be illegal unless there is rape, incest, or the life/health of the mother in danger, then you are pro-life.  If you don't believe that, you are not pro life.  Someone like Reid, who voted to affirm Roe in a sense of the Senate resolution does not believe abortion should be illegal, and is therefore not pro-life.

That is small tent Republican thinking.  If someone doesn't agree with you 100% then they are against you 100%.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2005, 03:16:18 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Anyway, this party gives moderates a big voice. How did we "lynch" McCain? He was a prime time speaker at the convention! Specter received a lot of support from the GOP establishment. Must have been a "lynching" in disguise, right Smash? And Specter isn't even a moderate! He's a liberal.

Everything is "far right" with you. You throw around that label far too lightly.

Toomey would have lost.  Yes PA has its Conservtaive parts, but as much as you think it is PA is NOT a Conservative state overall, it is a MODERATE state overall.  And a moderate state isn't going to elect two far right senators

The whole South Carolina "push polls" for one.  Republicans on this board blast McCain all the time for speaking against Bush.  Specter gets trashed a lot for not being in line with the party.  Basically anyone that speaks out against Bush is branded as disloyal
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2005, 03:17:20 PM »

It doesn't mena they can't be Republicans, there are many pro-choice Republicans, and they're very welcome here.  But they are not pro-life, and shouldn't (and don't) pretend to be.  Reid shouldn't pretend to be something he's not either, and you shouldn't pretend he's something he's not.

If you think abortion should be legal, you're pro-choice, if you think it should be illegal, you're pro-life, and if you favor legal but heavily restricted you're neither.

And obvioulsy, I don't think he's against us 100%, he may even be with us more often than he is against us.  That doesn't mena he believes the things a pro-lifer believes.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2005, 03:18:03 PM »

I don't know how anyone can definitively say that Toomey would have won or lost, since no one will ever know.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2005, 03:22:07 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Toomey would have lost.  Yes PA has its Conservtaive parts, but as much as you think it is PA is NOT a Conservative state overall, it is a MODERATE state overall.  And a moderate state isn't going to elect two far right senators

The whole South Carolina "push polls" for one.  Republicans on this board blast McCain all the time for speaking against Bush.  Specter gets trashed a lot for not being in line with the party.  Basically anyone that speaks out against Bush is branded as disloyal

Right....that's why Santorum, a conservative, has the highest approval ratings and lowest disapproval ratings in the state. No way Toomey could have won, right?

Specter is a RINO. He's not a moderate, he's a liberal and has turned his back on this party and what it believes after the party supports him. I'm tired of it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2005, 03:24:02 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

And a moderate state isn't going to elect two far right senators

By the way, Santorum and Toomey are not far right. I know you're used to Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton but that doesn't mean that when you see someone to the right of them that they are far right.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2005, 03:29:09 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Right....that's why Santorum, a conservative, has the highest approval ratings and lowest disapproval ratings in the state. No way Toomey could have won, right?

Specter is a RINO. He's not a moderate, he's a liberal and has turned his back on this party and what it believes after the party supports him. I'm tired of it.

You site a poll 5 months old for this.  Anyway in moderate states you will sometimes see a liberal or a conservative in the senate, but you will very rarley see two liberals or two conservaties from a moderate state.  On most categories  (looking at the enitr voting record) Specter pretty much fits into the moderate category with a  slight left lean.  He isn't as far to the left as Chafee.  Specter didn't turn his back on the party.  He has ALWAYS been a moderate.  The party has shifted further to the right and expected Specter to follow suit.  Specter isn't going to change his views and go further right simply because the party has or it would be what is expected of him being a Republican.  He is not a conservative, never was, never will be, yet some people expect him to change his views just to make the conservatives in the party happy
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2005, 03:30:59 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

By the way, Santorum and Toomey are not far right. I know you're used to Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton but that doesn't mean that when you see someone to the right of them that they are far right.

Santorum and Toomey are far right.  Both have had steady  ratings in the 90's the last few years from the ACU.  Santorum's lifetime rating is only below that because he was more moderate during the 90's, but look at the last 5 years or so & both have VERY Conservative voting records
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

You site a poll 5 months old for this.  Anyway in moderate states you will sometimes see a liberal or a conservative in the senate, but you will very rarley see two liberals or two conservaties from a moderate state.  On most categories  (looking at the enitr voting record) Specter pretty much fits into the moderate category with a  slight left lean.  He isn't as far to the left as Chafee.  Specter didn't turn his back on the party.  He has ALWAYS been a moderate.  The party has shifted further to the right and expected Specter to follow suit.  Specter isn't going to change his views and go further right simply because the party has or it would be what is expected of him being a Republican.  He is not a conservative, never was, never will be, yet some people expect him to change his views just to make the conservatives in the party happy

Specter has played games with this party for a very long time. He's a RINO.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2005, 03:33:57 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Santorum and Toomey are far right.  Both have had steady  ratings in the 90's the last few years from the ACU.  Santorum's lifetime rating is only below that because he was more moderate during the 90's, but look at the last 5 years or so & both have VERY Conservative voting records

We have different views on what far right is, I guess. Bunning, Inhofe, Falwell, Robertson...now that's far right. I don't think Santorum and Toomey fit into that category.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2005, 03:39:54 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

We have different views on what far right is, I guess. Bunning, Inhofe, Falwell, Robertson...now that's far right. I don't think Santorum and Toomey fit into that category.

Well judging on some of the comments on gays Santorum has made........

Santorum and Toomey aren't as far right as the guys you mentioned, but they are still to the far right.  Bunning,, Inhofe, Robertson & Falwell are off the cliff and are more conservative than Santorum and Toomey, but that doesn't mean Santorum and Toomey aren't far right, it just means they aren't as far as those guys
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2005, 03:43:59 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Yeah...he also said gays are children of God, like everyone else. What a far right wing extremist!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2005, 10:27:24 PM »

Phil, the email is sent.

Toomey would have lost

Toomey would have won.

Yeah...he also said gays are children of God, like everyone else. What a far right wing extremist!

I was refering to that whole beastiality garbage.  Those were comments of an extremist
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies