If Romney had not run, who would have won the Republican nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:30:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Romney had not run, who would have won the Republican nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Romney had not run, who would have won the Republican nomination?  (Read 2305 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »

Your thoughts?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »

Perry.

Why bother to ask?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

Hard to say.  With moneybags out of the race, several of the people who didn't run would have run.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

Hard to say.  With moneybags out of the race, several of the people who didn't run would have run.

Indeed. Huckabee and Barbour could have thrown their hats into the ring.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »

It wouldn't be anyone who actually ran in 2012.

My guess would be Huckabee, as he would have had a very clear path to the nomination.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »

Huckabee would be the nominee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:49:26 PM »

Barbour had some serious pardon problems even before the end of his term:

link

I don't think Huckabee was going to run anyway.  Romney wasn't the reason why Huck chose not to run.  I don't think Barbour, Daniels, Huckabee, or Palin would have run even with no Romney.  Jindal, Pence, and Ryan probably wouldn't have run either, but it's less certain.  Thune may well have run if no Romney.  Jeb Bush and Chris Christie *might* have done it.  Certainly, there would have been a bigger draft effort for one or the other of them, and remember that Christie very nearly changed his mind at the last minute and decided to run, even after all his denials.

If none of the aforementioned names had run, then I don't know.  Maybe Pawlenty?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:54:56 PM »

Romney definitely didn't scare anyone out of the race. The people who didn't run, didn't want Romney as the nominee and STILL don't. So I think either Huntsman or Perry gets it. Jon Huntsman didn't catch fire because there was already a handsome mormon governor running. Perry was the only one that the Romney Team believed had a chance to beat them.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »

Christie or Jeb Bush. Maybe Thune.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »

How would Santorum have done?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »

Romney definitely didn't scare anyone out of the race. The people who didn't run, didn't want Romney as the nominee and STILL don't.

I don't think that's exactly right.  Without Romney, there would have been a gaping hole in the race where there should be an establishment party man who the big party donors can contribute their $ to (and who can then use that money to destroy his opponents, like Romney did).  If folks like Christie really came as close to running as they seemed to, then the lack of Romney might have been enough to tip the balance in favor of running.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »

I think Thune or someone like him jumps in and probably wins. Huntsman might have had a better chance amid the various collapsing campaigns.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »

Probably Pawlenty if he still ran but maybe Gingrich since he wouldn't have been bombed with negative ads.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 12:50:46 AM »

Romney definitely didn't scare anyone out of the race. The people who didn't run, didn't want Romney as the nominee and STILL don't.

I don't think that's exactly right.  Without Romney, there would have been a gaping hole in the race where there should be an establishment party man who the big party donors can contribute their $ to (and who can then use that money to destroy his opponents, like Romney did).  If folks like Christie really came as close to running as they seemed to, then the lack of Romney might have been enough to tip the balance in favor of running.

The establishment candidates would have been Jon Huntsman and Tim Pawlenty.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »

The establishment candidates would have been Jon Huntsman and Tim Pawlenty.

Maybe.  I mean, sure, if no one else gets in the race, but they wouldn't have started out with the kind of lead in either NH or nationally that Romney started out with.  Even though early polls don't "matter", psychologically, the fact that no establishment candidate would have started out with an early polling lead (and wouldn't have been raising quite the same $ that Romney did IRL) would have made it look like the race was more open to a newcomer than it was IRL.  Maybe the only late entrant would have been Perry, as IRL, but who knows.  Butterflies can do strange things.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2012, 02:59:19 AM by KINGTHLAYER »

I don't think Tim Pawlenty would have won the nomination under any circumstance, even if his competition was only Santorum, Paul, and Gingrich. The guy is just a bland, forgettable loser. I'm sure he'll make an electrifying Secretary of Agriculture though.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »

Huckabee if he ran would have been the nominee as the only 'runner up' from 2008. Perry would have crashed and burned. Huntsman would have got more momentum and carry several states including New Hampshire but ultimately lose to Huck. If Huckabee doesn't run, then the nomination is truly 'up in the air' and a brokered convention could have been a possibility.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »

Who knows?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

Daniels would have been the establishment candidate. Not sure if he'd have won the nomination though. Perry may well have done better actually - it was Romney's effective attack ads against him that brought him down as much as his own gaffes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies