A New Day: 2004 And On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:19:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New Day: 2004 And On
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Who Should Win The Election?
Barack Obama
Jon Huntsman
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A New Day: 2004 And On  (Read 15965 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2014, 03:47:35 PM by L0V3Batman »

After a meeting with President Dean and two rounds of voting that saw no nominee, the party elders saw it that the best thing would be for Governor Edwards and Senator Obama to endorse Vice-President Warner at the DNC, and to let him face Huntsman in November. Edwards' delegates were leaving in droves and attempting to draft undeclared candidates. Governor Martin O'Malley of Maryland even attempted to jump into the race and saw a swell of support that soon waned after his blandness was understood. DNC Chair Becerra allowed each candidate a 5-minute speech to the delegates, with Sen. Obama last.

Democratic National Convention 2012
"Thank you! Thank you so much for all of your support. Thank you. You know I’d been hoping to stand here tonight under very different circumstances. And I have been asked by people that I respect to take this opportunity to support one of the other fine candidates who have made this race with me, to help decide who our nominee will be. But I can’t do that.

I can’t do that because it’s not my place to decide who our nominee should be. That decision is yours and yours alone. Now there has been a great deal made about Governor Edward's flaws and marriage. Many people believe that he shouldn't even be considered for the Presidency. But I don’t believe Governor Edwards' flaws should disqualify him. I think that because we’re the hypocrites, not the Edwards; because we’re all broken, every single one of us, and yet we pretend that we’re not. We all live lives of imperfection and yet we cling to this fantasy that there’s this perfect life and that our leaders should embody it. But if we expect our leaders to live on some higher moral plain than the rest of us, well we’re just asking to be deceived.

Now it’s been suggested to me this week that I should try to buy your support with jobs, and the promise of access. It’s been suggested to me that party unity is more important than your democratic rights as delegates. That’s right it’s not. And you have a decision to make. Don’t vote for us because you think we’re perfect. Don’t vote for us because of what we might be able to do for you only. Vote for the person who shares your ideals, your hopes, your dreams. Vote for the person who most embodies what you believe we need to keep our nation strong and free. And when you have done that, you can go back to Seattle, and Boston, to Miami, to Omaha, to Tulsa and Chicago, and Atlanta with your head held high, and say, “I am a member of the Democratic Party!"

As President Dean watched from his suite, he came to a realization.
"Wilson, see if you can get the Vice-President on the phone."

In Barack Obama, President Dean saw fire. He commanded the enthusiasm of the grassroots Democrats that had put he himself in office 8 years ago. Dean knew that Warner couldn't beat the Republicans, but Obama had a chance. With Edwards' delegates down to a more than negligible amount, the President discreetly wrangled enough support on the floor to put Senator Obama's totals over the top during the fifth ballot.
"Mr. Chairman, the great state of New York casts it's 282 votes for the next President of the United States, Senator Barack Obama!"
"We have a nominee!"

And that night, he gave a resounding speech in support of Senator Obama and his choice for VP, who was quietly smuggled into the convention hall.
"Thank you, its been an honor to serve you the past eight years. We've done so much, and accomplished even more. Together, we truly have begun A New Day that just 8 years ago seemed impossible. But now it is time to end this chapter in the American story with a flourish, and open the door to tomorrow. And so it gives me a great pleasure to introduce to you the leaders of our party and the next President and Vice President of these United States, Barack Hussein Obama and John Sidney McCain!"

But back in Salt Lake City, Governor Huntsman and his staff watched the unfolding events of the Democratic Convention in Charlotte.
"Well, let's go win this thing."
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »

Thank you Clinton for finally continuing this.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 01:56:23 AM »

Loving the West Wing season 6-style DNC
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:38 AM »

Part I: The News Roundup
"DEMS GET BUMP, STILL TRAIL HUNTSMAN IN POPULAR VOTE/ ELECTORAL COLLEGE"

2012 Electoral College Map: September
Obama/McCain: 195
Huntsman/Perry: 248
Tossup: 95

Presidential Election Polling: September 2012
Obama/McCain: 42%
Hunstman/Perry: 49%
Undecided: 9%

"Jon Huntsman is winning. There's no doubt about that. Republicans like him, Independents love him, and Democrats stomach him. He's popular in the west, and competitive in the northeast. The disarray of the Democratic Party did nothing to change any of those things.

At this movement, our model gives a 69.3% chance of the Republicans taking back the White House in November. Keep in mind that we are still two months out from the election. The Democratic Nominee, Senator Barack Obama, made a brilliant first decision as a presidential hopeful with his choice of Defense Secretary John McCain as his running-mate. It gives him bipartisan credentials and quells fear of inexperience.

There's still a ways to go, and Barack Obama has a lot to prove, if he's up to it. He's got a lot of ground to make up, especially with the Republicans moving in on Democratic strongholds. While if the election was held to day, we'd be confident in forecasting a strong Huntsman victory, there is a lot of room for change. If the Democrats get their act together and the Republicans fall back into their old ways, we could end up looking at one party dominating the White House for 12 years."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 03:45:25 AM »

Happy to see this returning! Go Huntsman!
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2017, 03:17:07 AM »

Should I continue this? Looking back my writing was... iffy. I could probably do a good deal better now.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:27 AM »

Should I continue this? Looking back my writing was... iffy. I could probably do a good deal better now.

I'd certainly like to see it continue, yes
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »

It's got a very distinct writing style (don't worry about it being cringey... everyone hates to look at their old writing), so I'd love to see it continue.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2022, 03:22:16 AM »

Howard Dean in 2004 minus the scream
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies