A New Day: 2004 And On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:04:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New Day: 2004 And On
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Who Should Win The Election?
Barack Obama
Jon Huntsman
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: A New Day: 2004 And On  (Read 15877 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
« edited: September 09, 2012, 05:07:26 PM by Clinton1996 "You Know You Miss Your Daddy" »

"We're just getting word that, yes, Howard Dean has won the Iowa Democratic Caucus. He will defeat Senator's Edwards and Kerry with 38 percent of the vote, compared to their 32 and 18 percent respectively. We go now, to Governor Dean in Cedar Rapids."

"We just sent a message to President Bush in the White House. Its time for a change, America. We are tired of the status quo. We are tired of the wars and out of control spending. We are tired of the tax cuts for the wealthy, while the middle class gets the good ol' Texas shaft. Its time for A New Day!"-Governor Howard Dean

Senator Kerry, hoping for a better performance in New Hampshire, was met by more bad new on the 27th of January. Howard Dean narrowly edged out the Massachusetts Senator 39-37. And the next day, did what his campaign thought only weeks ago would never happen.

"Today, i'm formally suspending my campaign for the Presidency and endorsing my great friend and the next President of the United States. Howard Dean."-Senator John Kerry

Gov. Dean quickly dispatched of the rest of the field on Super Tuesday. Next he set his sights on the Republican incumbent.
"President Bush, what do you have to say about Gov. Dean wrapping up the Democratic Nomination?"-Reporter
"Bring it on."-President George W. Bush

Polling Numbers- Bush 47 Dean 46

Bush 202 Dean 217 Toss-Up 119
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:41 PM »

Kick arse!
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:18 PM »

The Race for the White House was on. Both Republicans and Democrats were fired up well into the hot long summer months. The Bush and Dean campaigns were firing blow after blow to each other. Democratic registration was soaring. It appeared that Dean's ground game was revolutionary. But the Bush campaign had the incumbent's advantage- and weaknesses. The situation in Iraq was stabilizing, but the economy was slowly on the wane, and the Dean campaign seased upon this,

"Unemployment is up nearly 3 percentage points since this President took office. And the incumbent says and I quote "Unemployment always goes up a little, before a recovery begins." Well, unemployment only has to go up by one more person before a real recovery can begin. And Mr.President, You Are That Man!"-Governor Howard Dean[/b]

As the end of July and the beginning of the Democratic National Convention came, the choice of a running mate was necessary. And media had their choices.
Governor Phil Bredesen (D)Tennessee
Governor Ed Rendell (D)Pennsylvania
Governor Tom Vilsack (D)Iowa
Governor Mark Warner (D)Virginia
Governor Bill Richardson (D)New Mexico
Senator Evan Bayh (D)Indiana
Senator John Breaux (D)Louisiana
Senator Hilary Clinton (D)New York
Senator Tom Daschle (D)South Dakota
Senator Joe Biden (D)Delaware
Senator John McCain (R) Arizona
Senator Russ Feingold (D)Wisconsin
Senator Jay Rockefeller (D)West Virginia
Senator Bill Nelson (D)Florida
Frmr. Senator John Glenn (D)Ohio
General Wesley Clark (D)Arkansas
But Dean had narrowed the names to a shortlist of a few Governors, Senators, and Officials.
Governor Mark Warner

Senator Evan Bayh

Senator John Breaux

Senator Tom Daschle

Senator John McCain

General Wesley Clark
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:03:25 AM »

Love it! Keep it up. Smiley
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:36:16 AM »

Did you flip Washington purposely or was that a mistake?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »

Dean/McCain or Dean/Daschle 2004!!! (Breaux would be a good pick, too).
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

I think Kerry should have picked Tom Daschle. Its almost a logical choice for that year especially, takes Daschle out of a stiff race for the united states senate.
But then it puts the South Dakota Democratic Party in the position of finding a nominee to replace Daschle and all but hands over the senate seat to John Thune.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

After scanning over all of those on the shortlist, Governor Dean made his choice.
"Ladies and gentleman, I give you the next Vice-President of the United States, Governor Mark Warner!" -Governor Howard Dean[/b]

"We face hard times and challenges. They are serious, and they are many. They will not be met easily, or in a short span of time. But know this America, they will be met."- Governor Mark Warner[/b]

At The convention, the Democrats used the stage and press attention to offer an assailing view of the Bush Administration's economic policies and excessive use of war powers. Governor Mark Warner gave a very rousing speech.

"Depending on November's outcome, just imagine how you personally would feel if you woke up, and it was cold, gray and raining. You walk to the front door with sleep still in your eyes, your having trouble waking up and you pick up the news paper and it says 4 More Years of The Same Old Thing."Boos from the audience
"The numer of wars have gone up; Veteran access to healthcare has gone down;Unemployment around the country has gone up; the number of jobs has gone down. The trade deficit has gone up; personal income has gone down. The budget deficit has gone up; consumer confidence has gone down. Poverty has gone up; the number of jobs has gone down. Bankruptcies have gone up, jobs, down; fear, up; hope, down; everything that oughta be down is *up*, everything that should be up is *down*; they've got it upside down, and we're gonna turn it right side *up!*" -Governor Mark Warner

And then came the speech from Governor Dean. The governor did what none could believe. He praised the President on his handling of the terrorist attacks of September 11th. But then he went about giving a description of his own policies and why he thought they'd be better. He took President Bush's best attack, and threw it back at him.

"I have great respect for the President's handling of those terrible attacks. He did what any of us would do and I respect the office. But nearly everything he's done since, he's messed up and made the wrong decision. Be it from those tax cuts for the very wealthy to that War in Iraq. It's time for new leadership America. It's time for a change. It's time for A New Day!" -Governor Howard Dean

The Democrats got an immediate bounce in the polls, pushing some states into their column and pulling others into the tossup column away from the President. And the following Friday, the Employment Situation Report further buoyed Dean-Warner's chances at the White House
Unemployment Rate Spikes To 7 Percent. 60,000 Jobs Lost In The Month Of July.Polling Numbers- Bush 43 Dean 50

Bush 189 Dean 272 Toss-up 77
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 09:39:53 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2012, 09:41:51 PM by Clinton1996 »

President Bush's approval ratings were mediocre at best, and his polling numbers were falling. But at the Republican National Convention, he showed no signs of any of these things.

"We are making progress. We are making progress. And there is more to do. We have seen a shaken economy rise to its feet. And we have seen Americans in uniform storming mountain strongholds and charging through sandstorms and liberating millions with acts of valor that would make the men of Normandy proud. But a certain former Governor seems to think that we should not support our troops in their fight for justice."-President George W. Bush[/b]
Bush 47 Dean 49
The President got a small bounce in the polls after his speech, but someone was noticeably missing from the RNC. Arizona Senator John McCain had not attended. He would go on NBC's Meet The Press  in mid September to explain his absence.

"I do not agree with President Bush on a lot of his policies, especially on the deficit which has ballooned in his four years. I feel the Republican Party which I have so loved has lost their fiscal responsibility. So Tim, I could not attend a celebration of these policies. I could not endorse someone voluntarily leaving trillions of dollars in debt for our children to bear."- Arizona Senator John McCain
"So are you going to endorse anyone in the race for the White House?"- Tim Russert[/b]
"I like a few of the things that Governor Dean is saying on fixing the economy, but he could do a little better on national defense."- Senator John McCain
"So is that an endorsement?"- Tim Russert
"Take it as you wish Tim."- Senator John McCain

And the media did.
Senator John McCain (R)Arizona Endorses Democratic Nominee, Governor Howard Dean, For President
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »

The first Presidential debate was held on September 30th and focused on the War on Terror.
"Has the War In Iraq been worth all the lives lost?"- Moderator

"If you're asking me whether it was worth it to go into Iraq and depose an evil dictator, abusing his power and murdering his people, then I would have to say without a doubt, yes. We need to stay the course and rebuild Iraq."- President Bush

"What happened to the WMDs Mr. President. You said Iraq had WMDs. That's why we went into Iraq, not to overthrow Saddam Hussein. You lied to the UN Security Council, and you lied to the American People. We need to bring our troops home and rebuild America, not some foreign country."-Governor Howard Dean

The debate was seen as a draw with a slight Bush advantage. And it helped the President regain some ground in the polls.
Polling Numbers- Bush 48 Dean 48

Bush-Cheney 204 Dean-Warner 231 Toss-Up 103
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2012, 01:29:08 AM by Clinton1996 »

The Vice-Presidential Debate between Vice-President Cheney and Governor Warner was anything but cordial. Cheney fired shot after shot at Warner about Howard Dean's liberal leanings. But Warner shot back at Cheney about the US's presence in Iraq and their failure to shield the economy from downturn.

"Mr. Vice-President, the gap between rich and poor is growing wider. More people are dropping into poverty. Yet, the rich are getting tax cuts, why is that?"- Moderator

"By giving across the board tax cuts, we are giving people more money to spend in the economy. High tax rates harm job creators, so with lower taxes, they will invest in the economy."- Vice President Cheney

"Dick, trickle-down didn't work under Reagan, didn't work under the first Bush, and it sure as heck ain't working now. The rich aren't the ones who invest and create jobs, as this President's record has shown. The middle class, who the Bush administration has given the shaft, create jobs. They go out and buy goods, which in turn gives companies the incentive to make more of them, so they hire more workers. The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts disproportionately favor the rich, and look where that's got us, the highest unemployment rate and and deficit since 1992. You've squandered a 127 billion dollar surplus on tax cuts for the rich and a reckless war, while shafting working families. Howard Dean and I will raise taxes on the top 2 percent to close the deficit, cut taxes for 98 percent of Americans, and end this reckless war. "- Governor Mark Warner

Polls conducted after the debate showed most thought Governor Warner won by a 57-40 percent margin over Vice-President Cheney. Moreover, after the debate 55 percent said that Warner was at least "qualified" to assume the responsibilities of president (a eleven percent rise) with 41 percent saying "very qualified". 47 percent said the same of Vice-President Cheney (no change).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »

This is pretty awesome, though I'm rooting for Bush. Might he try and seize upon Dean's liberal image and go for the Rust Belt? After all, Ohio is what saved him in real life, so he might try to take Pennsylvania or Michigan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

Very impressed with this! Good job Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

Dean/Clark
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »

This is pretty awesome, though I'm rooting for Bush. Might he try and seize upon Dean's liberal image and go for the Rust Belt? After all, Ohio is what saved him in real life, so he might try to take Pennsylvania or Michigan.

No doubt those gun nuts there will be blindly voting against the gun grabbing Democrat who has an A rating from the NRA.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 01:28:52 AM »

With Dean either tied with them or ahead of them in the polls, the Bush-Cheney Campaign launched a new force of attack ads on the Dean-Warner ticket, orchestrated by Karl Rove. They attempted to portray the Governor as the second coming of Jimmy Carter. The ads said that with the election of Dean, America would lose its leadership role in the world and that he would bow to foreign leaders while being soft on terror and cutting the millitary. And on the domestic front portraying him as the typical tax and spend liberal who wants to over regulate small buisness, take away your guns, and socialize medicine. Needless to say, the attacks seemed to be working. But the Dean campaign wasn't having that, and in a blitz, doubled the money the Bush campaign was spending on the ads and split on positive ads and attacks on Bush's stewardship on the economy and negative campaign tactics.

"Americans will not be swayed by these negative attacks. They want a change. We are tired of the out of control spending and these out of control wars, we want something new. I decry these negative tactics Mr. president. These attacks are below the noble office you hold. Americans have prided themselves on knowing that if we work hard, tomorrow will be better than today. This awful economy, and this incumbent are making it harder for us to live by this American Creed. Well I promise you, with a Former President Bush, and a Dean Administration, tomorrow will be a better and new day."- Governor Howard Dean

"Now Governor Dean, doesn't want to talk about what he'd do in office. He knows American won't like it. So im gonna tell you. America is the greatest country in the world. But Howie, thats my nickname for 'em, Howie thinks we should downsize the budget if the military. This is after the worst terrorist attack in our nations history. How is he gonna explain that to the families that lost loved ones on that fateful September morning?"- President George W. Bush

The a President was immediately jumped upon by the media for his using the September 11th Attacks for his political gain. His support tumbled in the polls, and for the first time, despite the attacks on Dean's foreign policy stances, Bush was behind in the polls on terrorism. And even worse, he was beginning to lose Republican support. While 79 percent of GOP voters still intended to vote for the nominee, a whopping 18 percent were jumping ship for Dean. While Dean got 91 percent of Democratic support and only 7 percent went for Bush. Independents were split 48-42 Dean. And national polls showed it.

Poll Numbers- Bush 42 Dean 49
Electoral College- Bush 170 Dean 270[/b] Tossu-Up 98
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

Just thought you should know that that last map has EVs from the 2010 census.
Nice job though, I always like modern timelines over historical ones.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »

Go Dean! He would have made a much better President then Kerry.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »

I wonder if there will be significant changes in senate composition with a Dean victory. Maybe Castor in FL, Bowles in NC, and Daschle in SD will make it over the finish line?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

I wonder if there will be significant changes in senate composition with a Dean victory. Maybe Castor in FL, Bowles in NC, and Daschle in SD will make it over the finish line?
Doubtful, as the DNC would focus most of their funds on Dean for him to win, because although he was a stronger debater than bush, the nation was with the latter on foreign policy.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »

While the race for the White House seemed to be slipping away from the Republicans, they were still keeping it close in the Race for Congress.
In the Race for The Senate, the GOP battled to hold their slim majority in the senate, while Democrats fought to pick up the two seats needed to regain the majority.

Alaska- Frmr. Governor Tony Knowles vs Senator Lisa Murkowski
Colorado-  Attorney General Ken Salazar vs Pete Coors
Kentucky- Senator Jim Brunning vs Dan Mongiardo
Florida- Betty Castor vs Frmr. Secretary Mel Martinez
Louisiana- David Vitter vs Chris John
North Carolina- Erskine Bowles vs Richard Burr
South Carolina- Jim DeMint vs Inez Tenembaum
South Dakota- Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle vs Congressman John Thune

6 out of 8 of the Toss-Ups are going to be decided almost completely on the performance of the top of the Democratic ticket, the Dean-Warner ticket. The Governor had a lot riding on his performance.

Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 07:42:01 AM »

NOTE: For time's sake, i'll be skipping straight to the final Presidential Debate and go through to election night. I may have set this election up one way, but it will surprise you. This is gonne be a long post.
Unemployment Rate At 7.9 Percent For Month Of SeptemberThe third and final presidential debate held at Arizona State, focused entirely on the economy. This was the President's last chance to turn the tide in the election. He spent the night hitting Dean on his budget proposals and how he would raise taxes. But Dean wasn't having it.

"Governor Dean will do nothing but take us backwards. He wants to raise taxes. You don't raise taxes in the middle of a recession. We can't raise taxes on the job creators."- President George W. Bush
"There you go again, repeating the GOP mantra, we can't raise taxes on job creators. Mr. President, if irresponsible tax cuts on the rich worked, we wouldn't be in this mess. We can't keep doing the same thing with the same people, and expect different result. While you were spending money on tax cuts George, China and Germany were spending it on educating their children. They were spending it on modernizing their infrastructure. That's how we get out of your mess. We need to invest in the people of the United States. We've been down before, but we always pick up and get ahead of the competition. This time is no different."- Governor Howard Dean

Polls conducted after the event showed that the people believed Dean won by a wide margin. 63 percent said Dean, only 26 percent said Bush. Dean had the momentum going into election day. One way or another, the election was over.

Election Night 2012
It's 8 PM on the East Coast and we have a round of projections to make. The states of Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Oklahoma for President Bush. We can also project Vermont, Virginia, Connecticut, Delaware, D.C, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Jersey for Governor Howard Dean. The states of Georgia, Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee are too close to call.- Keith Olbermann

"It's not starting off well for the President. There are 5 states that should have been called for him by now. And, the battlegrounds of Virginia and New Hampshire were called rather quickly for Dean, and its barely even dark outside. He's gon-"- David Gregory

"Sorry to interrupt Dave, but we've got a few states to call. In a surprise twist, 5 states that went for Bush four years ago, shall be going to the Democrats tonight. That's right, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, and Indiana, which make up a combined 63 electoral votes, shall go to Vermont Governor Howard Dean. West Virginia shall go to Bush."- Chris Matthews

"Unless the President can come back with an extremely strong showing in the west, we are probably going to be swearing in a new President come January"- Keith Olbermann

"Don't be so quick Keith, it's only 9:27. And the president has a few projections coming his way. Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Louisiana, and Wyoming will go for Bush. Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Florida, Colorado, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Ohio for Dean. That's 312 electoral votes for Dean, and 112 for Bush. And with that NBC News can project that Vermont Governor Howard Dean shall be the nation's 44th president."- David Gregory

Vermont Governor Howard Dean Elected 44th President of the United States.
"We're getting reports that President-Elect Dean shall speak tonight at 11:00 after the west coast is called. President Bush has yet to call and concede."- David Gregory

"All I can say is it's a great day for America. At 11 we can also project Iowa, Nevada, Montana, Washington state, Oregon, Arizona, Hawaii, and California for Dean. Idaho and Utah shall go to Bush."- Keith Olbermann

"Apparently the economic news and his poor performance in the debates have allowed the president to suffer the same fate of his father back in '92. And ironically, this is the largest landslide since Bush vs Dukakis in 1988. A Texas Republican and a North Eastern Democrat."- Chris Matthews

Final Map

"We go now to the Dean campaign headquarters in Montpelier, Vermont where the President-Elect is speaking."- David Gregory

"I congratulate President Bush on a hard fought campaign. But the American people wanted a change. And I propose to you A New Day. A day where America is respected around the world. Where we invest in our people and our future. And I say to you America, we face many challenges. But we will face them, and tomorrow will be better than today."- President-Elect Howard Dean
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »

Great Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star