Do you smoke? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:39:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you smoke? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: This can include cigarettes, cigars, pipes, weed, meth, whatever you smoke.
Yes

No

Only at parties

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 11591 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: July 14, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

Yes, luxury cigarettes and weed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »

I'm the only one who voted for option three? I feel bad now.

People here don't party.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »

I'm the only one who voted for option three? I feel bad now.

Why on earth would you want anybody else to know about it, and then subject them to your second-hand smoke?  If I smoked, I'd be sure to only do so in private, for much the same reasons that I fart and pick my nose in private too.  Smoking is one of the most antisocial activities around, and you do it at parties?!

Woah sorry. It isn't taboo. Tongue

Smoking is actually a very social activity, and don't get me wrong it isn't like I do it all the time, but hey, you only live once. Plus I'm at University so what do you expect?

I believe its sarcasm.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Lol wow.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »

This bothers me. Not all smokers get cancer. Even so, no matter how childish it sounds, I'd rather die at 50-something knowing I lived a fun life and smoked than live to be 90 and not have had any fun at all.

Well said. Longer life =/= better life. Smoking a cigarette is no different from having a coffee, an alcoholic beverage or driving an automobile.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »

This bothers me. Not all smokers get cancer. Even so, no matter how childish it sounds, I'd rather die at 50-something knowing I lived a fun life and smoked than live to be 90 and not have had any fun at all.

Because smoking is the key to living a fun life? I know you'll have loads of fun lugging around your oxygen tank and undergoing chemo.
For some people, yes. Others drink coffee or use PCP or go skydiving. It isn't any of my business though. Different people have different tastes. You can get cancer just from going to the beach.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »

You can develop or avoid lung cancer irregardless of smoking cigarettes.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »

Your totally on-topic photoshopped picture of the president and your use of the non-word "irregardless" has completely convinced me of your ironclad position.

Who cares if its photoshopped? "Irregardless" is an oft-used colloquialism and is acceptable in informal conversation. I don't see the problem. If you are in Las Vegas and still think smoking is antisocial then you might need to think about some things for a while.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

You can develop or avoid lung cancer irregardless of smoking cigarettes.

This is true. Smoking however leads to a multifold increase in the likelihood of dying. And a picture of a man who I strongly disagree with is supposed to make me think what, exactly?

The picture serves no real purpose beyond my own amusement, rather similar to posting on this forum or smoking in that regard.

Your likelihood of dying has always been 100% and I don't foresee changes to your chances anytime soon. But, you do many things that put you at risk for death, I don't need to know you to know that and you are better off saying that smoking doesn't appeal to you so you abstain, instead of being prudish and moralistic about it. Do you drink sodas, eat fast food or use automobiles as transportation?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »

Ah, the old I had a grandad who smoked 300 cigarettes and he lived until he was a hundred and two chestnut, similarly I had two great uncles who smoked about 20 a day and died aged 40, all of their 7 siblings are still alive and never smoked. Look, I know lots of smokers and have absolutely nothing against them, but trying to say smoking doesn't have a huge effect on your life expectancy is just stupid.
I haven't seen anyone argue that smoking wont impact one's life expectancy. I have seen some ridiculous posts like "smoking leads to death". Think about it, life leads to death. So I don't try to act like smoking doesn't impact one's life expectancy but:

1. I don't particularly care. I smoke for my own enjoyment.

2. I am not convinced by the moralizing of nonsmokers. I highly doubt they abstain from all risky behaviors. Prioritizing them and choosing not to smoke is fine but acting like its anything beyond that and you just look like a douche IMO. It's also pretty condescending when people seem to think that smoking turns one into some line of addicted cigarette zombie. That only happens if you want it to happen. You seem to understand a bit better though, which is good.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2012, 06:28:35 PM by President Napoleon »

Smoking for nearly ten years, I have never had an entire pack in one day. Maybe 12 cigs.

I feel normal until I smoke a cig, I don't smoke a cig to feel normal.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 06:38:14 PM »

Smoking for nearly ten years, I have never had an entire pack in one day. Maybe 12 cigs.

I feel normal until I smoke a cig, I don't smoke a cig to feel normal.

Well, sure, it's different for everyone, and I can only talk about my experience. Maybe you're lucky in that regard. Hell, there's some people who can smoke five cigarettes a week, not get addicted, and feel fine.

Although f--- those people. Tongue

I suppose i'm lucky but I imagine that addiction sucks no matter what the substance happens to be.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

Rude people are going to do rude things whether they smoke or don't. Making generalizations beyond that doesn't do any good.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:32 AM »

And I really can not think of a single good reason to smoke tobacco. Like seriously, none. If I had to experiment with some drugs, I would seriously rather do heroin or meth, at least those give you some cool side effects. Tobacco is the most pointless thing ever to use.

Speak for yourself. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies