Democrats threaten to sabotage recovery rather than give up tax hike demands
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:40:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats threaten to sabotage recovery rather than give up tax hike demands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Democrats threaten to sabotage recovery rather than give up tax hike demands  (Read 1824 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, it's nice "they" are prepared to weather a new recession. 

Have the Democrats even agreed on what their tax hike demand is yet?  The last I heard, they were pushing back against their own President's demand for hikes on people making $250,000.  (Isn't it weird how Obama is always demanding the Repubs compromise when he can't even get his own party members to agree on one plan?)

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

They won't do it IMO. Forget the red/purples, even the wealthy blues like Pelosi and Schumer want $500k or $1 million as the threshold.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »

So the democrats are just adopting republican tactics.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »

What happenned to OMGZ the deficits!!!!11?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »

I don't think you can find a time where the Repubs threatened to knowingly plunge the nation back into recession if they couldn't get their way.  Maybe one or two Congressmen, but not a "party position".

Anyway, we saw in 2008 what the Democrats can do to the economy when they put their minds to it, so I would take this newest threat very seriously.

I hope you'll read both these articles -- neither from a "right wing" source -- carefully. 

This first one's from the LA Times

How incredibly prescient, right?

This second one's from 10 days later, from Bloomberg:

More incredible prescience.  (On a personal note, I took a huge amount of money out of my investments in July, 2008 -- reducing my xposure by about half.  I wish I could take credit, but it was my younger brother who kept at me on the phone about "Fannie Mae-this" and "Freddie Mac-that" and "mortgage bank disaster".  Still, I lost 24% of my portfolio in 2008.)

The next time someone asks what triggered (the immediate trigger; we know there were systemic issues) the 2008 financial crash, these two articles should be among the first they should be shown.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

I don't think you can find a time where the Repubs threatened to knowingly plunge the nation back into recession if they couldn't get their way.  Maybe one or two Congressmen, but not a "party position".

Anyway, we saw in 2008 what the Democrats can do to the economy when they put their minds to it, so I would take this newest threat very seriously.

Did you forget the debt ceiling crap the Republicans pulled recently?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 08:35:57 PM by Nathan »

I think the threat here is supposed to be descriptive rather than prescriptive. If it is prescriptive, it's a fairly clever adoption of a tactic that the Republicans absolutely love and which has served them pretty well, at least in Congress.

I'm also still really interested in this version of 2008 and the later Bush years in general that WhyteRain apparently experienced.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »

I don't think you can find a time where the Repubs threatened to knowingly plunge the nation back into recession if they couldn't get their way.

That is... hysterical.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

I don't think you can find a time where the Repubs threatened to knowingly plunge the nation back into recession if they couldn't get their way.  Maybe one or two Congressmen, but not a "party position".

I remember how it was characterized by the MSM.  Do you have some verifiable quotes from Republicans to share on it?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

I don't think you can find a time where the Repubs threatened to knowingly plunge the nation back into recession if they couldn't get their way.

That is... hysterical.

Wouldn't it be more satisfying to prove me wrong?  No?
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »

Firstly, I reject the premise that causing a recession necessarily constitutes "sabotaging the economy" if it's the consequence of policies that improve the long term fiscal picture.

Secondly, why so certain that it would cause a recession? The economy did crumble after the Clinton tax hikes in the 1990s.

Thirdly, you may well point out that these tax increases would be simultaneous with spending cuts in the midst of a recession. To which I respond- isn't that exactly what has been proscribed for Greece, Spain et al? If austerity is good enough for their fiscal problems, it's good enough for America's fiscal problems.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:20:12 AM »

That is... hysterical.

Go back about a year and a half ago...

What did the Republicans threaten to do if the tax cuts weren't extended for the top 2%??

Oh yeah they threatened to let the tax cuts expire for everyone unless it was extended for those making over $250,000. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »

That is... hysterical.

What did the Republicans threaten to do if the tax cuts weren't extended for the top 2%??

Oh yeah they threatened to let the tax cuts expire for everyone unless it was extended for those making over $250,000. 

Do you really have to go back that far? There was that whole debt ceiling blackmail a year ago.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:39:45 AM »

I remember how it was characterized by the MSM.  Do you have some verifiable quotes from Republicans to share on it?

I know you will either be denying this, spin it or try to distort it and of course I could prove that the sky is blue and if your information sources tell you it is red you will fight it off despite the obvious evidence by looking up. But either way this is more than enough evidence.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/08/mitch_mcconnell_okay_fine_were.html

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:17:56 AM »

Why is everyone responding seriously to an obvious troll like White Rain?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »

Firstly, I reject the premise that causing a recession necessarily constitutes "sabotaging the economy" if it's the consequence of policies that improve the long term fiscal picture.

I think you have a good point.

I recall in 1979 or early-1980 when I was the "wire editor" (that is, international and national news) at a newspaper.  I read that Fed Chairman Paul Volcker said that the Fed was going to choke off the money supply in order to fight inflation.  At our "news budget" meeting that day, I tried to convince the editors that this was a huge story, a front-page story -- because the Fed was essentially saying that it was going to deliberately plunge us into a recession.  Alas, I couldn't convince them to put it on the front page, but I did put the story at the very top of my pages, with a full page headline.

It turned out that that recession was a "good" one -- hard on a lot of people but it finally choked off the horrendous inflation that had plagued America all through the 1970s.

So, I think your point about a "good recession" is well-taken.

Good point.  Nope, the Clinton tax hikes didn't cause a recession in 1993-94, although the economy didn't really take off until the enactment of the big tax cut in 1997.

Well, I thought liberals were disdainful of "austerity" (which seems to be defined mostly as slower-than-usual government growth), but, okay.  I think a lot of conservatives would agree with you that, like an addict trying to kick heroin, the U.S. economy will have to undergo a wretching adjustment when -- not if -- when we finally have to get serious about government deficits and debt.  I think conservatives are ready to make those sacrifices; are liberals?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »

That is... hysterical.

Got some quotes for these "threats"?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:29 AM »

That is... hysterical.

Do you really have to go back that far? There was that whole debt ceiling blackmail a year ago.

Got some quotes to support this claim?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:17:49 AM »

I know you will either be denying this, spin it or try to distort it and of course I could prove that the sky is blue and if your information sources tell you it is red you will fight it off despite the obvious evidence by looking up. But either way this is more than enough evidence.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/08/mitch_mcconnell_okay_fine_were.html

Thanks, Mr. Gonzalez, for doing some actual research on the issue.  I shouldn't be the only one.

I would LOVE to address this now, but I need to run.  I will probably be gone the rest of the day.

I guess I have just time to leave you with a quote from the underlying story cited by your link:

So, if Repubs were threatening to "risk a default", it certainly seems the White House was, too, right?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »

That is... hysterical.

Filibusters on plans to extend the tax cuts for those who make under $250,000 and then another filibuster or the extension of the tax cuts for those that make less than $1million
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

Is WhyteRain still whining about how all Democrats are trying to sabotage the economy whenever they're in power, while all conservative Republicans are always perfect little angels and most certainly had nothing to do with the debt ceiling debacle? I have him on ignore, so I don't know what he's saying.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 03:05:58 AM »

Is WhyteRain still whining about how all Democrats are trying to sabotage the economy whenever they're in power, while all conservative Republicans are always perfect little angels and most certainly had nothing to do with the debt ceiling debacle? I have him on ignore, so I don't know what he's saying.
He's saying that both parties were willing to sabotage the economy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

He's saying that both parties were willing to sabotage the economy.

Yes, but from what I read what I wasn't ignoring him, he seemed to think that stuff like the debt ceiling was not the fault of the Republicans. Which it mostly was.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »

That is... hysterical.

Filibusters on plans to extend the tax cuts for those who make under $250,000 and then another filibuster or the extension of the tax cuts for those that make less than $1million

Thanks but I was looking for, you know, "quotes" from, you know, the people actually making the threats.  I know what the MSM narrative is.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »

You honestly don't remember the events of almost a year ago?

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-07-29/news/29844216_1_debt-limit-economy-hostage-political-party

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_08/mitch_mcconnell_hostage_taker031287.php

No, of course you don't.  Nobody does.  Such is the nature of US politics.  Nor will people remember this in a few weeks.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies