The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:43:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: The Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Bill  (Read 23082 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2005, 04:02:22 PM »
« edited: February 03, 2005, 06:09:19 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Section 1

The Federal Government of Atlasia will appropriate $250 million over the next 5 years to assist in funding the opperations and opening of shelters for unwed mothers, all accross Atlasia.

a) Shelters must pass regional and federal
              standards, in order to recieve funds.

b) Atlasia reserves the right to discontinue
              funding of any group, organization or shelter
              that does not meet those standards.

c) Women in the care of those shelters will be
              granted legal protection and adaquate monitary
              compensation to move to the nearest shelter that
              matches those standards.

Section 2

State and Federal funds to CHIP programs will resume to insure the protection of all children or fetus' classified as "unborn.  This will be done in such a way so that funding and coverage is  commensurate with pre-2004 levels.

Section 3

Nessesary living expenses for new mothers will be provided for by all of those who apply, by the Federal government of Atlasia, for up to and including 5 years after the birth of the child.

a)  These benefits will be provided for food, rent
                  and medical expenses and are to be set at the
                  minimum rage for what is considered "Sandard
                  of Living" in the mothers municipality or county.

b) These funds will be terminated if any of the
                  following occure with in that time span.

1a) Another child is born to the same mother

2a) The woman enters a state of marriage

c) No woman living with a "perminant" male
                partner, or in a common law marriage will be
                allow to collect funding.

d) Monthly interviews with each woman on the
                program will be required.  If that woman is found
                to be:

1c) Abusing the child

2c) Abusing legal or illegal subsatances

3c) Deemed to be in someother way
                             violating the spirit of the program

Then her child will be put into foster care and she
               will be removed from the program and all benefits
               taken away.

e) Any government employee found to be abusing
                  his or her clients, or in someother way impeding
                  their rights, will be immediatly fired or otherwise
                 or other wise punished in a court of law.

f) Pamphlets advertising these benefits will be
                  made available at all Social Security offices,
                  OBGYN's offices and licensed abortion clinics
                  in Atlasia.  Failure to comply will bring about
                  fines of a maximum of $20,000.

continued on next post...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2005, 06:07:37 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Section 4

Funding for the above will be provided by the Federal Government of Atlasia, amounting to $500 million over the next 5 years.

Section 5

The federal government will provide a stipened of $1,000/year to all mothers who qualify for the program for:

a) Child/Day care.

b) Other form of Daytime Child Care.

Section 6

The federal government will provide upto $1,500/semester in additional grants for all mothers who apply for the program.  This is to be used for:

a) Enrollment in Community College

b) Enrollment is Technical College

c) Enrollment in State University.

Section 7

a) No woman with an annual personal income of greater than
              $30,000 per year will qualify for any of the benefits mentioned
              in sections 1,3 & 4 and may only apply for those benefits in
              Section 6 if they do not already have at least an associates
              degree.

b) No woman will qualify for the benefits mentioned in sections
              1, 3 & 4 if they live with a family (or other support structure,
              i.e.gaurdians) who make an annual incom of greater than
              $35,000 per year.  She will still have full access to the benefits
              mentioned in Sections 5-6.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 04:12:40 PM »

Add

Section 7
All funds for the United Nations Fund for Population Activities will be cut, and those funds will be appropriated for this program.

also I think Akno's Education and Ripoff for Taxpayers Bill addressed the concerns of Section 5 about Child Day Care.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 04:16:59 PM »

This bill is not a direct assult on abortion, it is merelt a measure to encourage unwed mothers to take a child to term.  This bill adresses and attempts to aleviate the harsh many of the harsh realities that women in such situations face.  It might seem like a lot of money, but the lives saved would be worth it.  

I ask all those on the right to put aside their bias against government programs and truley do something to save more babies from the abortion mills.

I ask those on the left to put aside their bias against social conservatives and embrase this bill which goes to the heart of what many of them claim causes abortion in this country.

It is time for us all to see if both the right and the Left truely believe their rhetoric on this issue or if it is all just an attempt to not seem extreme.

I yeild back the floor.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:18:21 PM »

Add

Section 7
All funds for the United Nations Fund for Population Activities will be cut, and those funds will be appropriated for this program.

Hopefully that will go down in flames.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like my bill better.  Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »

I support this, but I'd much prefer it if it also included some sort of promotion of birth control for women (not abortion - I'm talking about before the pregnancy even happens).  It seems to me that the largest protection one can give is to not have these people become mothers in the first place.  That option will cost the government a lot less in the long run, too.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »

I support this, but I'd much prefer it if it also included some sort of promotion of birth control for women (not abortion - I'm talking about before the pregnancy even happens).  It seems to me that the largest protection one can give is to not have these people become mothers in the first place.  That option will cost the government a lot less in the long run, too.

If someone else would like to propose that as an amendment, I would abstain.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 04:25:32 PM »

OMG
*pulls out gun and pull it to head. conceals it again, after realizing how much a mistake it would be to leave them alone*
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »

OMG
*pulls out gun and pull it to head. conceals it again, after realizing how much a mistake it would be to leave them alone*

I knew you would be against it.  I'm still waiting for Nym to go crazy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »

As far as our support for UNFPA, we have 34 million that is presently going overseas to support mothers overseas.  Reappropriate that money to support this program.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 04:35:20 PM »

I think I'll have just enough votes to pass this.  I'm just going to sit back and enjoy all of the hypocrites scream about this.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »

As far as our support for UNFPA, we have 34 million that is presently going overseas to support mothers overseas.  Reappropriate that money to support this program.

What exactly is wrong with helping other nations?

I suppose I support this, although I'm curious how the 250 million number came to be.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 04:56:22 PM »

I suppose I support this, although I'm curious how the 250 million number came to be.

$50 million a year... sounded reasonable.  I was going to put it at $500 million, but I figured the protest would be enormous.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 05:00:08 PM »

$50 million a year... sounded reasonable.  I was going to put it at $500 million, but I figured the protest would be enormous.

I wouldn't mind Smiley

But even so, you have hundreds of buildings, you have to hire people to manage the system, plus all the grants. I figure we have a million people eligible for this, the cost will likely be higher than said. Again, not that it would lose my support if the cost was higher, but we should be as accurate as possible.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:02:42 PM »

The money is better spent on this then aborting a child in Botswana or Papua New Guinea.  That's what is wrong with it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »

Id support this and urge my Senators too as well, even with some of the problems I have with the federal government getting too involved in things like this.

FWIW, I like Gabu's amendment, as long as it specifies birth control before pregnancy, not afterwards and of course I think Jake's amendment is good.  Smiley

Now, I just wonder when we are going to close the abortion mills altogether.  That's the next necessity.  Smiley  Maybe some of the funding for that could go to fund this program (gets evil right-wing glint).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 05:05:34 PM »

Do you think we allready have too much teenage pregnancy? Well, thighten your seatbelts, because we are going off to a teenage pregnancy party if this bill pulls trough. This effectively encourages our teenage girls to both sin against God in Heaven, ang ruin their lives on earth. By subsidizing teenage pregnancy, we will only get more and more teenage pregnancy, until no town, no neighbourhood, no street, no FAMILY is safe. Where we, mature, reasonable people see a destroyed life, teenagers will see a blank check for all the irresponsabilty, all the immorality they want in their lives, because after everything comes craching down to pieces, after our girls have been left pregnant by their runaway boyfriend, left to be dropouts from highschool, and otherwise forced, due to their irresponsability and immorality, by divine justice forced to suffer the consequences of their acts, big brotehr government will be there to offer them a dandy life, with child care à la carte, all provided by the Atlasian Taxpayer, the greatest dopey in the face of the earth.  You know, Zach Stevenson is a School Superintendent up in Massachusets. He lives in Boston and travels allover the area. He was telling me teenage pregnancy is so rampant in some of the schools in Massachusetts that have Lamaze classes instead of SexEd classes. Now think about it. Think about that issue. How is it that that's happened to us? Do you want even more of that?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

Sorry, this just screams 'welfare', and I think this oversteps the bounds of the federal government's authority. I doubt this would really help curb abortions, and I think you are underestimating the costs, and I think this bill is poorly planned. How many thousands of new unwed mothers are there a year? Did you even look up this information before going ahead and writing the bill? Good intent without knowledge, forethought, and reason is dangerous.

This is just a rough guess, but I think it is probably reasonable(and I'm guessing low), but say the costs per child is $5,000 per year for these shelters. If just 50,000 children are born to unwed mothers in a year(and I'm pretty sure the number is much larger than this), and they apply for this, you've already spent your $250 million meant for five years in a single year. You also may have spent the other money appropriated if enough people apply.

The likely result of this is spending in the billions if you want to keep the program running, and it is going to be a fiscal nightmare to say the least. Either that or you can have an underfunded, ineffective system. I also shudder at the prospect of the massive beauracracy that would be needed to implement this system - and that must be paid for as well, and it will no doubt be inefficient. Why on earth would you want such a mess?

For the above reasons, I urge all Senators to vote a strong NAY. We don't need the problems this will bring.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

Id support this and urge my Senators too as well, even with some of the problems I have with the federal government getting too involved in things like this.

FWIW, I like Gabu's amendment, as long as it specifies birth control before pregnancy, not afterwards and of course I think Jake's amendment is good.  Smiley

Now, I just wonder when we are going to close the abortion mills altogether.  That's the next necessity.  Smiley  Maybe some of the funding for that could go to fund this program (gets evil right-wing glint).

I support Gabu's amendment IF it specifies birth control pills as the only funded item and if it specifies that they're to be used to prevent pregnancy, not birth.  

Also, for the concerns of John and Bono, I think it is better to transfer all funding the feds provide for abortion and crap like that to be directed towards birth control pills, to be used to prevent pregnancy, and not to child care.  This is looking alot like Akno level BS.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »

Do you think we allready have too much teenage pregnancy? Well, thighten your seatbelts, because we are going off to a teenage pregnancy party if this bill pulls trough. This effectively encourages our teenage girls to both sin against God in Heaven, ang ruin their lives on earth. By subsidizing teenage pregnancy, we will only get more and more teenage pregnancy, until no town, no neighbourhood, no street, no FAMILY is safe. Where we, mature, reasonable people see a destroyed life, teenagers will see a blank check for all the irresponsabilty, all the immorality they want in their lives, because after everything comes craching down to pieces, after our girls have been left pregnant by their runaway boyfriend, left to be dropouts from highschool, and otherwise forced, due to their irresponsability and immorality, by divine justice forced to suffer the consequences of their acts, big brotehr government will be there to offer them a dandy life, with child care à la carte, all provided by the Atlasian Taxpayer, the greatest dopey in the face of the earth.  You know, Zach Stevenson is a School Superintendent up in Massachusets. He lives in Boston and travels allover the area. He was telling me teenage pregnancy is so rampant in some of the schools in Massachusetts that have Lamaze classes instead of SexEd classes. Now think about it. Think about that issue. How is it that that's happened to us? Do you want even more of that?

Your view on this is quite warped.  This bill won't encourage anyone to get pregnant.  Why is it that we assume that a whole bunch of people are suddenly going to want to get pregnant because the government is willing to give them just what the need to get by?  Sure, there are scam artists, but the bill takes care fo that pretty well, I think.  Your just paranoid, Senator.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 05:09:52 PM »

And as for sinning against God, would you rather they have an abortion and sin even more?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 05:15:47 PM »

Your view on this is quite warped.  This bill won't encourage anyone to get pregnant.  Why is it that we assume that a whole bunch of people are suddenly going to want to get pregnant because the government is willing to give them just what the need to get by?  Sure, there are scam artists, but the bill takes care fo that pretty well, I think.  Your just paranoid, Senator.

I never said doint it on purpose. But tenagers are, generally and to be frank, dumb, and hormone-driven, and will see this just as one more blank chack, aside from the one our moral stone-age society has given them, to engage in any kind of sexual behaviour they want.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 05:18:10 PM »

And as for sinning against God, would you rather they have an abortion and sin even more?

It's the principle of it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »

It's the principle of it.

I would say that the defense of innocent life is a high principle.  One that we should all support.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 05:23:24 PM »

Ok, I'm going to post this site, and if any information I reference contained within is erroneous or if I have taken it out of context, please tell me:

http://www.yppo.com/stats.html

Important stats:

Almost 1 million teenagers become pregnant each year, and more than 512,000 give birth. (average, based on 2000 census)

Over 1,000,000 babies were born to unwed mothers in 2002, however only about 300,000 of these were from teenagers. (2002 only)

So, let's assume that just half of these unwed mothers(annual average) apply(only half to take out multiple children and those who just don't apply) - so, 500,000. Let's also use my estimate of the cost to the shelters being $5000 per child annually. Total costs for the first year = $2.5 billion dollars a year on the first year. Oh, but wait, the system continues to pay for the first five years of the child's life, so once this really gets rolling it will cost 12.5 billion dollars annually - and this is only for the shelters, it does not include the costs for the $1000 for child care a year per applicant, $1500 per semester(there can be up to three a year in most places) per applicant that goes to college, and costs of the beauracracy. If you like to bitch about the deficit, pass this bill because it's gonna get bigger.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies