Romney backer goes off the rails...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney backer goes off the rails...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Romney backer goes off the rails...  (Read 4277 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

We'll see. It's not too far from the truth. But leave it to Romney to screw it up.

You'll notice that Obama's approval ratings have slowly been slipping over the course of the week.

Because negative attacks generally effect both peoples favorability/approval ratings.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

Clearly the Obama campaign, and especially Obama himself, are worried about the totally amateurish and incompetent way that Obama has been handling the economy, therefore, they have been willing to say and do anything to distract voters attention away from this fact, even to the extent of committing libel to save Obama's sorry butt. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »

I do think we could start to see Obama's harsh attacks start to backfire. If Romney can spin it as an attack on the American way, they can make Obama look like a sort of foreign entity that doesn't understand America.

Spin it all you want but this is just an attempt at bringing back the whole "Obama is a Kenyan muslim" bullsh**t. Obama has done nothing that would be considered outside the American mainstream. Trying to say you are talking about the economy is complete bullsh**t and another example of using code words to get a point across.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »

Good for him. This is going to be a nasty campaign and Romney needs to call down the attack dogs on obama and the heavily disliked progressive types who vote for him.

Disliked by people who will, obviously, not be voting for Obama anyway, if they so heavily dislike the 'types who vote for him'.

That's very true. The issue that Romney has is that they might not vote for him either. Good attack ads will convince them to do so.

If anything, Romney's greatest problem is that he is being heavily outspent.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »

Sununu is one of the worst.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »

So how is this going off the rails while an Obama ad criticizing Romney's investments as anti-American is considered "Brilliant".   Sununu finally punched back - good for him.  With the schizophrenia in the media these days the MSM won't be talking about Bain in a day or two, in part due to Sununu. As Debbie Wasserman said, stop whining.

News flash for you:  Outsourcing American jobs and hiding your millions in offshore accounts to avoid paying your fair share of taxes is absolutely 'un-American' (as much as I hate that McCarthyite term), whereas aggressive campaigning against your opponent has been part of the American political sphere for about two hundred years.  Deal with it.

"Hiding" money abroad and not reporting the income on your tax returns is fraud. "Depositing" money abroad and reporting the income on your tax returns is not. Do you have any evidence that any money was "hidden?"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »

Real Americans jam their opponents phones.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

What's ironic is that the conservative Republican who called Obama's Americanism into question was born in Cuba to parents who were immigrants from the Middle East. So basically John Sununu was born in a Communist haven to terrorist parents. OMG!

When did Castro seize power? And, when was John Sununu born? But, why let minor details like facts get in the way of a good story?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »

In any case, if you read my post you would understand that my point was 1) Sununu's statement was good politics and 2) Politics is rough and his statement isn't "going over the rails". I never said aggressive campaigning was un-american. So yeah, deal with it.

Hey, you're the one who complained that Sununu's attack is being seen as unfair while Obama's is apparently not.  Sununu's statement is being seen as a gaffe because it was hilariously ironic; the Obama campaign's aggressive strategy is appropriately American, whereas the elements of Romney's business and financial activity being focused on are not.  But the gaffe also served the double whammy of inadvertently playing into the sinister insinuations against the president that have been so popular in the GOP.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 01:22:35 AM »

"Hiding" money abroad and not reporting the income on your tax returns is fraud. "Depositing" money abroad and reporting the income on your tax returns is not. Do you have any evidence that any money was "hidden?"

Until Romney releases his tax returns, we'll never know, will we?  He's obviously hiding something though; that much is obvious from his continuing stubborn obfuscations on the subject.

But what is indisputable is that Romney has been exploiting loopholes to avoid paying the taxes he otherwise should.  Which, while legal, is of course unethical, unfair, and yes, un-American.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »

What's ironic is that the conservative Republican who called Obama's Americanism into question was born in Cuba to parents who were immigrants from the Middle East. So basically John Sununu was born in a Communist haven to terrorist parents. OMG!

When did Castro seize power? And, when was John Sununu born? But, why let minor details like facts get in the way of a good story?

You obviously missed his point, which was to poke fun at right-wingers' habit of taking Obama's exotic background and distorting it into all kinds of imaginative lies.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:36 AM »

You obviously missed his point, which was to poke fun at right-wingers' habit of taking Obama's exotic background and distorting it into all kinds of imaginative lies.

Well, is anybody really surprised that Big Sky Boob is unfamiliar with the concept of irony?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 03:09:47 PM by Torie »

If failing to repatriate money back to the US is "un-American" as Joe says, then almost every multinational corporation that is US based is un-American, since they all keep money abroad in foreign subsidiaries - including in particular Obama's favorite corporation GE, which paid no US taxes at all.

Interest and other such passive income  by the way earned and kept offshore in a foreign corporate subsidiary is taxed in the US as "subpart F" income as it is referred to in the trade. Only income from the active running of a business is not taxed, and the reason Mittens' income was not taxed is that it was in an IRA account, and it would not be taxed in the US anyway.

Income of individuals is taxed in the US no matter where it is earned or kept, subject to a $70,000 per year exclusion for income earned abroad as opposed to passive Subpart F income if one is a resident abroad (not just going on a gig for a week to make some money abroad). To the extent of my knowledge of international taxation law, there just is no "there" there - not even legal tax avoidance by Mittens.

It is all sound and fury signifying nothing. Thank you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »

It is all sound and fury signifying nothing. Thank you.

Except that it keeps front and center the simple fact that Romney is the class enemy.  Of course whether this will penetrate the skulls of white working class voters is debatable, but it is the essential information service being provided.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

OK all you accusatory conspiracy theorists, show us ONE piece of hard evidence of your senseless accusations against Romney.

You can't, because none exist.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »

OK all you accusatory conspiracy theorists, show us ONE piece of hard evidence of your senseless accusations against Romney.

You can't, because none exist.

Well, there is the demonstrable fact that either he or somebody else fudged how long he was at Bain for some odd reason.

I also enjoy the fact that somebody whose display name compares Barack Obama to Richard Nixon is calling others accusatory conspiracy theorists.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »

Still no proof of anything I see.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »

Winfield, why are you complimenting Obama like that?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »

I love your sense of humor.  Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »

Winfield is right. There is no evidence that Romney lied.

Apart of course from those 142 documents signed by him as CEO and President of Bain during that period and his sworn testimony when he ran for governor of Massachusets.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »

Obama and the Democrats lied about Romney's time at Bain.

Just ask John King and David Gergen from CNN, two of the most knowledgeable and astute political commentators in America today.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

You obviously haven't heard tale of my admiration of Richard Nixon then.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2012, 05:28:18 PM »

So you think I really am complimenting Obama then.

So maybe Obama doesn't come up to Nixons' standards?  Smiley 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »

Is he meeting with Brezhnev, negotiating SALT? Opening the doors to China? Don't think so.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Is he meeting with Brezhnev, negotiating SALT? Opening the doors to China? Don't think so.

Excluding Watergate, you make a good point about Nixon.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies