McCain: Palin was a better candidate than Romney!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:28:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  McCain: Palin was a better candidate than Romney!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McCain: Palin was a better candidate than Romney!  (Read 3784 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »

Ouch! With friends like this who needs the Obama campaign.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/07/mccain-i-wasnt-scared-off-by-romney-tax-returns-129201.html

Mitt Romney's tax returns had nothing to do with Sen. John McCain's decision to choose Sarah Palin as his running mate in 2008, according to the Arizona Republican, saying he chose the former Alaska governor because she was a "better candidate."

"Of course not," McCain told POLITICO when asked if the contents of Romney's tax returns disqualified him from the selection process. "I don’t know what depths these people won’t reach. Obviously, it’s just outrageous. That’s just outrageous. It shows the – it’s so disgraceful for them to allege something that they have absolutely no knowledge of."

Asked why he chose not to go with Romney, McCain said: "Oh come on, because we thought that Sarah Palin was the better candidate. Why did we not take [Tim] Pawlenty, why did we not take any of the other 10 other people. Why didn’t I? Because we had a better candidate, the same way with all the others. ... Come on, why? That’s a stupid question."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »

You're twisting his words. He's not condemning Romney, merely saying they thought Palin would have helped the ticket more.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

Just because McCain "thought" at the time "that he had a better candidate," does not mean in hindsight that he thinks that now. Of course he doesn't. Please!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:47:05 PM »

Ouch! There was no word twisting at all. McCain's quote is harsher than this title gives credit for.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »

Steve Schmidt was recently quoted as saying that the reason Romney wasn't chosen was because he didn't want another wealthy man on the ticket.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Steve Schmidt was recently quoted as saying that the reason Romney wasn't chosen was because he didn't want another wealthy man on the ticket.

Well McCain has now succeeded in making Palin a wealthy woman. Tongue
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »

This is why I believe Portman is unlikely...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »

I'm starting to think, if Ayotte is unlikely, than Jindal might be a frontrunner for the nomination. Susana Martinez remains the perfect pick if he can convince her to reconsider, of course.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

I'm starting to think, if Ayotte is unlikely, than Jindal might be a frontrunner for the nomination. Susana Martinez remains the perfect pick if he can convince her to reconsider, of course.

He just met Jindal yesterday. Not happening. Plus the height difference (Mitt's 6"2 and Jindal 5"9) is an optical killer in joint appearances.
ajb
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »

I think Martinez's reasons for saying no are such that she'd get a lot of bad publicity if she now said yes.
My own hunch is that Romney will go for a safe, "do-no-harm," Boring White Dude type. It's how he's played the campaign so far.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »

She's guardian to a developmentally disabled sister, that's a non-negotiable no.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

I love how you left out the word "thought," changing the article from a no-news article to an incredibly hackish post.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »

At the time of the pick, McCain didn't know the economy was going to collapse, otherwise he may have chosen the more experienced, private sector guy. However, when the choice was made, he needed desperately to energize the base - Palin did that. Romney would not have.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »

She's guardian to a developmentally disabled sister, that's a non-negotiable no.

Really? I respect Governor Martinez a lot more now, but knowing that I'd respect her less if she decided to go on a national campaign, because her sister should obviously be more important. Which is probably the point you're making.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

Here's a link.

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2012/04/08/news/gov-on-vp-no-means-no.html
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »

Of course, one of the issues was that she didn't want to take her sister away from her father (he's got Alzheimer's and Martinez doesn't want him to forget her sister--it's really kinda sad Sad).

If she was actually extended an offer, the reality could change such that she would move her sister and her father to D.C. if she and Romney won the election.

It's mostly just wishful thinking on my part, because I also think she would be the best pick. She's not as fake or as dumb as Palin.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »

I love how you left out the word "thought," changing the article from a no-news article to an incredibly hackish post.

When has he ever done anything else?
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »

You're twisting his words. He's not condemning Romney, merely saying they thought Palin would have helped the ticket more.

And of course she did.  Only an idiot or a troll would say otherwise.

A McCain-Romney ticket in 2008 loses by 57-42%, not 53-46%.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

Just because McCain "thought" at the time "that he had a better candidate," does not mean in hindsight that he thinks that now. Of course he doesn't. Please!

I'll bet dollars to donuts that McCain today, even if he knew everything that was going to happen to Palin in 2008, would pick her as his running mate again.  And I know he never goes to sleep thinking, "Gee, if only I'd picked Mitt Romney in 2008, I'd be president today!"  -- LOL!
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2012, 08:51:10 PM by WhyteRain »

Nah, McCain didn't; her enemies did.  If they'd just left her alone, she'd still be governing her little big state that appears only in a box in the corner of most U.S. maps.  But noooooooooooooo, they had to try to DESTROY her utterly.  

Ooooops!!!  They f'ed with the wrong woman -- LOL!
ajb
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

Nah, McCain didn't; her enemies did.  If they'd just left her alone, she'd still be governing her little big state that appears only in a box in the corner of most U.S. maps.  But noooooooooooooo, they had to try to DESTROY her utterly. 

Ooooops!!!  They ed with the wrong woman -- LOL!

You really have to admire Sarah Palin's commitment to public service, don't you?

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 06:43:54 AM »

And of course she did.  Only an idiot or a troll would say otherwise.

There's no way any VP has that much of a positive impact on the national popular vote, especially someone as divisive as Palin.  I'd believe McCain/Romney also losing 53-46.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 07:38:55 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 07:43:31 AM by WhyteRain »

And of course she did.  Only an idiot or a troll would say otherwise.

There's no way any VP has that much of a positive impact on the national popular vote, especially someone as divisive as Palin.  I'd believe McCain/Romney also losing 53-46.

Have you ever seen -- strike that.  Have you ever heard -- strike it.  Have you ever in your life even read about a Vice-Presidential candidate whose speeches brought crowds ten-times the size of the Presidential candidate?  Palin was getting the same size crowds as Obama!  Do you seriously -- c'mon, seriously -- think that vice-presidential candidate Romney could have done any of that?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »

More news the MSM (aside from the 10% of it that is conservative) will never let you see: 

Oh, you think that was 2008?  It was just three days ago!  (Unfortunately, the site doesn't include crowd size estimates or overhead photos.  I'll look for a few more.  But, again, is this something you saw anywhere on the corporate-controlled media?)

This is another description, not of the enthusiastic cheers, but of the size of the crowd at the Palin speech:

Oh, this is good:  A few from the radical Palin-hating Left on the same Michigan rally noted above.  The U.S. census found that the 2010 population of Belleville is 3,991:  Belleville is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 3,991 at the 2010 census.[3] It is the sister city of Machynlleth, Wales. Belleville is 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Ann Arbor and 29 miles (47 km) southwest of Detroit.

This article says the Palin crowd was "only 400 to 500 idiots" -- but fails to note that is between 1/10th and 1/8th of the entire population of little Belleville.  But in the interests of "looking at the other side", I urge you to read it anyway:

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »

Oh, this is good:  A few from the radical Palin-hating Left on the same Michigan rally noted above.  The U.S. census found that the 2010 population of Belleville is 3,991:  Belleville is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 3,991 at the 2010 census.[3] It is the sister city of Machynlleth, Wales. Belleville is 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Ann Arbor and 29 miles (47 km) southwest of Detroit.

This article says the Palin crowd was "only 400 to 500 idiots" -- but fails to note that is between 1/10th and 1/8th of the entire population of little Belleville.  But in the interests of "looking at the other side", I urge you to read it anyway:

And between 1/4000 and 1/3000 of the population of Wayne County.  You think maybe a few of those folks might have come from other Detroit suburbs to see Palin?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies