Daniel Tosh's rape joke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Daniel Tosh's rape joke
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Whose side you on
Tosh

offended lady in crowd

don't care, but I must vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Daniel Tosh's rape joke  (Read 2739 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »

google search link

Some of you may know the story and there are several out there, but from I can gather, Tosh asked the crowd what topic they'd like to hear him make jokes about, somebody yelled "rape", tosh made a joke about rape jokes being easy, a woman in the crowd said "rape jokes aren't funny" and then Tosh said "wouldn't it be funny if that lady was gang raped by 5 guys right now, like RIGHT now?".

To me this is easy...
A.Anything can be funny...rape, pedophilia, pushing old people down stairs, circus fires, orphans
2.Getting offended at a comedy club is stupid...if you're easily offended at all, you shouldn't go to them...or watch TV...or spend time with other humans
III.you should never challenge a guy on stage with a mic unless you are also on stage with a mic (with the obvious exceptions), you ain't going to win...especially if they do this thing professionally
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:08 AM »

Tosh. People need to stop getting butthurt over everything that's even remotely off colour.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »

Lady in the crowd.  1) Rape jokes aren't funny.  2) Tosh isn't funny.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »

Tosh is a douche and not funny. But if you're going to go to his standup show and get offended at something like this, that's as stupid as some conservative going to a gay bar and getting offended at men kissing each other.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »

Lady in the crowd.  1) Rape jokes aren't funny.  2) Tosh isn't funny.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »

Option 3 for sure.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »

I can get (though I don't agree with) Tosh not being funny.  But why do we hate rape jokes?  Do we hate all "off color" jokes?  Or is rape special?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:12:03 AM »

I can get (though I don't agree with) Tosh not being funny.  But why do we hate rape jokes?  Do we hate all "off color" jokes?  Or is rape special?

The latter.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:16:50 AM »

What he said wasn't even a joke. It's just a disgusting comment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »

The latter.
Ok.  So are all rape jokes unfunny?  What if it's a bad person that is being joked about being raped?  What if it's so over the top it can't possibly be true, like the aristocrats joke?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:15 AM »

Right, what Lief said. It would be one thing if it were done in the service of humor, but it wasn't even that.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:14 AM »

The latter.
Ok.  So are all rape jokes unfunny?  What if it's a bad person that is being joked about being raped?  What if it's so over the top it can't possibly be true, like the aristocrats joke?

Jokes like the aristocrats are categorically distinct, since it's not the material being discussed that's supposed to be funny, it's the sheer degree of impropriety (a degree that it's hard to hit correctly). Jokes in which rape qua rape is a figure of fun are unfunny and inappropriate regardless of who the purported victim is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, comedy is subjective and all that.  I'm sure none of you want to ban jokes about rape.

Can we at least agree that heckling a comedian is in poor taste no matter what he/she has said?  Get up, walk out, complain to the management of the club if you must, but interupting their flow is just wrong.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 03:55:29 AM »

I'm generally for all types of jokes, but that wasn't funny. As in, that's not a joke. It's just the kind of threatening comment a bully would make. It's sad when a stand-up comedian has to resort to that level to muster a comeback.

And, Dead, you can't seriously argue that an average woman should have to put up with jokes about her being raped but a professional stand-up comedian can't be expected to deal with someone not finding his jokes funny? He needs to improve his level or just take the abuse in dignified silence.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:49 AM »

She's not an "average woman", she was a woman that went into a comedy club where Daniel Tosh was preforming and then interupted his routine.  He didn't pick a random woman off the street and suggest she be raped.  He didn't even pick a random woman out of the crowd.  She never would have had this "horrible" thing happen to her if she had kept her mouth shut and just got up and left after she found out that comedians are sometimes dirty.

And FTR, I don't think what he said was funny or a joke.  It wasn't supposed to be.  It was a verbal attack for her interupting the show.  I originally put "issue" in the title instead of joke, but figured more people would know what I was talking about this way.  I probably should at least have put quotes around "joke".
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 04:11:13 AM »

Ok, so how is that a cool attack? A comedian has to live with heckling every now and then. Suggesting a woman should be raped is not a proportional response. It could even be construed as akin to a veiled threat.

(women shouldn't bitch about sexist jokes, because then my fans will rape them)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »

Ok, so how is that a cool attack? A comedian has to live with heckling every now and then. Suggesting a woman should be raped is not a proportional response. It could even be construed as akin to a veiled threat.
Do you (or anybody) seriously think he wanted anybody to actually get raped?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Nobody should bitch about any jokes in the middle of a set, not because they might get raped, but because it's freaking rude.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 05:48:19 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 06:18:20 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

What really matters is that the woman who interrupted the set is a rude twat who came into his set misinformed as to what Tosh's act is all about. What Tosh said in response to the heckler wasn't really kosher but to be frank, I don't care. Don't heckle and attempt to ruin the show for people who find it amusing.

ITT: a bunch of people who get their panties in a bunch very easily.

edit: for the record, I don't think Tosh is funny but I prefer to leave comedy uncensored.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »

I think Gustaf's right on this - it's not that rape can't be approached in a blackly comedic way by a skilled comedian (not Tosh, in other words), but that this wasn't funny at all so much as creepy and upsetting.

That said, I'd like to distance myself as much as possible from people who unironically say things like "feminazis".
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 09:01:06 AM »

Rape jokes aren't funny and can be highly offensive. However, I take Tosh's side, as she shouldn't have been there, knowing him, if she gets offended by jokes, and especially for saying something to a guy with a mic.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

Lief is right too. It wasn't even a joke at her expense.

But I can't have much sympathy for someone who goes to a Tosh stand-up show and is shocked to hear stuff like this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »

Tosh obviously - and after all lots of rape jokes are very funny.  The Aristocrats is a rape joke (at any rate it includes, normally, some raping in the joke), and it is one of the classics.  Jokes about male-on-male rape - for example prison rape - are commonplace and laughed at by all and sundry.  It is just sexism that jokes about male-on-female rapes remain taboo.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

People need to stop getting so offended over shock comedians.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »

This is a very male forum, isn't it? Though I suppose it's nice that so many posters have just outed themselves as irredeemable cretins. Useful to know who not to take seriously about anything, right?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies