Daniel Tosh's rape joke (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:35:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Daniel Tosh's rape joke (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Whose side you on
Tosh

offended lady in crowd

don't care, but I must vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Daniel Tosh's rape joke  (Read 2782 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 18, 2012, 12:07:40 AM »

google search link

Some of you may know the story and there are several out there, but from I can gather, Tosh asked the crowd what topic they'd like to hear him make jokes about, somebody yelled "rape", tosh made a joke about rape jokes being easy, a woman in the crowd said "rape jokes aren't funny" and then Tosh said "wouldn't it be funny if that lady was gang raped by 5 guys right now, like RIGHT now?".

To me this is easy...
A.Anything can be funny...rape, pedophilia, pushing old people down stairs, circus fires, orphans
2.Getting offended at a comedy club is stupid...if you're easily offended at all, you shouldn't go to them...or watch TV...or spend time with other humans
III.you should never challenge a guy on stage with a mic unless you are also on stage with a mic (with the obvious exceptions), you ain't going to win...especially if they do this thing professionally
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »

I can get (though I don't agree with) Tosh not being funny.  But why do we hate rape jokes?  Do we hate all "off color" jokes?  Or is rape special?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »

I can get (though I don't agree with) Tosh not being funny.  But why do we hate rape jokes?  Do we hate all "off color" jokes?  Or is rape special?

The latter.
Ok.  So are all rape jokes unfunny?  What if it's a bad person that is being joked about being raped?  What if it's so over the top it can't possibly be true, like the aristocrats joke?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, comedy is subjective and all that.  I'm sure none of you want to ban jokes about rape.

Can we at least agree that heckling a comedian is in poor taste no matter what he/she has said?  Get up, walk out, complain to the management of the club if you must, but interupting their flow is just wrong.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:49 AM »

She's not an "average woman", she was a woman that went into a comedy club where Daniel Tosh was preforming and then interupted his routine.  He didn't pick a random woman off the street and suggest she be raped.  He didn't even pick a random woman out of the crowd.  She never would have had this "horrible" thing happen to her if she had kept her mouth shut and just got up and left after she found out that comedians are sometimes dirty.

And FTR, I don't think what he said was funny or a joke.  It wasn't supposed to be.  It was a verbal attack for her interupting the show.  I originally put "issue" in the title instead of joke, but figured more people would know what I was talking about this way.  I probably should at least have put quotes around "joke".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »

Ok, so how is that a cool attack? A comedian has to live with heckling every now and then. Suggesting a woman should be raped is not a proportional response. It could even be construed as akin to a veiled threat.
Do you (or anybody) seriously think he wanted anybody to actually get raped?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Nobody should bitch about any jokes in the middle of a set, not because they might get raped, but because it's freaking rude.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies