Who'd Win The VP Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who'd Win The VP Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who'd Win The VP Debate  (Read 1340 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »

Personally, I think Biden would murder whoever Romney picks. Bet it Ryan, Jindal, or Pawlenty. Portman might be able to take him, but hes already said that he's staying in the senate.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 02:21:53 PM by Dereich »

Biden isn't an exciting or interesting speaker and is far too prone to spontaneous foot-in-mouth incidents. I don't see why you think he'd be a master great debater. Sure, he'd probably beat Pawlenty, but Ryan would out-statistic him, Portman out-stature him, and Jindal....well who knows about him, but no matter who it is it probably won't be a blowout.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

No one's "murdering" anyone.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

Jindal or Pawlenty would be destroyed. I could see Ryan doing well though.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »

Biden isn't an exciting or interesting speaker and is far too prone to spontaneous foot-in-mouth incidents.
Not an exciting speaker? Obviously you haven't seen when he ripped McCain and Bush on the Iraq War.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1op8vwF5UA
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »

I still can't believe Pawlenty is a real choice, but if he is, he would be MURDERED by Biden.

Otherwise, theres a chance that Biden could be evenly matched (Jindal) or even beaten (Portman).
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »

IMHO, Biden is a damn good speaker. That might be because I'm a liberal, and because Biden is one of my favourite politicians in the World... But he'd MURDER Jindal, T-Paw and Portman (they're all too boring). Ryan-Biden would be an exciting debate, I'd love to see that one.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »

Portman could occupy some sort of portentous high ground over Biden but I don't think he'd be able to go toe-to-toe. Ryan probably could, but Ryan has other problems, such as the fact that the Clarences don't like or trust him. Pawlenty and Jindal would both get smashed, but for different reasons.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »

Portman would win, provided he doesn't get confused and start playing Biden:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/potential-romney-vp-rob-portman-method-actor-debate-090800452.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

Portman's a highly skilled debater but he's not getting picked. Pawlenty... forget Obamneycare, he gets flustered easily (see his Norah O'Donnell interview this AM) and got pwned by Michele friggin' Bachmann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3AKF4miCig

Jindal: Doubt he's getting picked, but I wouldn't be overly worried except about his tendency to speak like an MG.

Ryan is the best choice for this scenario, as Morden said.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »

When did I say that?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »

When did I say that?

Oops, meant Nathan.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

What about DeMint, Ayotte, Rand Paul, Haley and any of the potential tea party aligned folks that could be in line for VP. Because we all know Mitt has to pick a conservative or he's toast.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »

What about DeMint, Ayotte, Rand Paul, Haley and any of the potential tea party aligned folks that could be in line for VP. Because we all know Mitt has to pick a conservative or he's toast.

Im split on this, because I do think the base is starting to tire of Romney's weakness, but at the same time, how much would a conservative help the ticket, considering the base hates Obama so much that about 70-80% would be voting for GINGRICH just to be beat Obama.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

He's not going to pick any of those people. Sorry.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »

He's not going to pick any of those people. Sorry.

You think he's gonna play it safe? If he does it'll be to his defeat.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

Romney's problem is that Obama has been able to associate him with the nuts (sorry, Tea Partiers) of the Republican Party. Independents are tiring of the GOP, as it drifts further and further away from what they percieve to be "mainstream America." Romney picking someone like DeMint would be more detrimental than Romney picking someone like Pawlenty.
Bluegrassball
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 07:04:31 PM by Bluegrassball »

Say what you want about Biden, you may think he's a doofus, goofy, verbose, etc... But he was in the Senate for nearly 4 decades and is a master at the art of debate.

He knows how to get a point across and connect emotionally with an audience. I don't think I've seen a debate where he didn't come across as clearer, stronger, and more genuine than his opponent.

Sure there have been gaffes, but those are always when he is milling about and seems to lose awareness of the cameras. But if he is at a podium or a similar setting and knows that he has to keep on message, he is damn good.

Again, you don't have to like the guy to see this. The VP debate is all but wrapped up, no matter who Romney picks. Not that it will matter.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

No one said Biden's a bad debater.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

Personally, I think Biden would murder whoever Romney picks. Bet it Ryan, Jindal, or Pawlenty. Portman might be able to take him, but hes already said that he's staying in the senate.

Biden's an idiot.  His best move in the debate would be to fall asleep before he said some of the batsh!t crazy stuff he said in the 2008 one.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

Romney's problem is that Obama has been able to associate him with the nuts (sorry, Tea Partiers) of the Republican Party. Independents are tiring of the GOP, as it drifts further and further away from what they percieve to be "mainstream America." Romney picking someone like DeMint would be more detrimental than Romney picking someone like Pawlenty.

Without the Tea Partyers, the GOP is a 10% party.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »

Wait ... now that I've read some of the replies ... LOL -- I gotta ask:  Does anyone else here remember the batsh!t crazy stuff Biden said at the 2008 debate?

I mean, I know if Palin or Bush said it, every fool would remember it because the news media, entertainment media, academia, the labor unions, the professional associations -- in short, all the cultural megaphones dominated by the Left would have told them 1,000 times by now.

But I thought this was an erudite forum -- one whose members weren't led around by the nose of the cultural elitists.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies