Team Romney is grasping at straws.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:56:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Team Romney is grasping at straws.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Team Romney is grasping at straws.......  (Read 2625 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/how-the-romney-campaign-decided-to-take-the-gloves

Seriously?

This stuff was brought up in 2008 when Obama wasn't very well known and it didn't work. How is it going to work now that he has been on the job for four years?

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »

The electorate is different and not heavily favoring the Democrats.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:33:46 PM »

You honestly think people are going to care about BO's past now after he has been president for four years?

It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

This just reeks of desperation.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »

The only thing about this that could have some real impact is Fast and Furious, which, granted, is definitely A Bad Thing. The last Republican President also had a youthful cocaine habit. The maenadic frenzy over the fact that Obama is from Chicago has been played out for years now.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »

You honestly think people are going to care about BO's past now after he has been president for four years?

Hot Rod Blago sold his seat after the 2008 election. One wonders how you think it would have been brought up beforehand. And fast and the furious is more recent.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Hot Rod Blago sold his seat after the 2008 election. One wonders how you think it would have been brought up beforehand. And fast and the furious is more recent.

Blago isn't going to be any more damaging than Jeremiah Wright was. Obama was much more closely associated with Wright. Blago also didn't end up giving the seat to the person the Romney surrogates are going to claim (already claiming?) Obama tried to get him to, so even if the accusations of impropriety on the President's part have merit he does have a defense against them.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »

Blago had nothing do with Obama and had no effect on his approval ratings, and Fast & Furious has been going on for months and has had no effect on the President's approval ratings.

The GOP can go down this route, and they will lose.....badly.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 03:48:36 PM »

Nobody that doesn't already care about these things will pay any attention of this and those who already were worried about these things were already voting for Romney anyway.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Grasping at straws your words, your spin, not the articles words.

These counter attacks will negatively impact Obama.  

As America has learned from Nixon, dishonesty in a President is devastating to the nation.

And let's face it, Obama is a dishonest President, and he is surrounded by a cabal of Mitchells, Haldemans and Ehrlichmans as his chief advisors.  
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »

Grasping at straws your words, your spin, not the articles words.

These counter attacks will negatively impact Obama.  

As America has learned from Nixon, dishonesty in a President is devastating to the nation.

And let's face it, Obama is a dishonest President, and he is surrounded by a cabal of Mitchells, Haldemans and Ehrlichmans as his chief advisors.  

Of course Obama is dishonest, but he's pretty clearly the least dishonest American President since Carter.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »

Rod Blago! :facepalm:
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »

It's the IL version of Godwin's law. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »

This destroys any flack Obama gets for 'going negative.'  I approve.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »

Hopefully the Dems (unofficially) respond by going after Romney's Mormonism. If Barry's cocaine use is fair game, surely Romney's membership in a cult is as well.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »

Hopefully they counteract Romney's comments about Obama's illegal habit with attacks on Romney's religion!

Glad to see this is what politics have come to these days.

To be clear though, I'm not a fan of Romney doing this. Namely because I think cheap attacks backfire, as we'd see with Obama's Bain attacks if Romney actually let them play out.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »

I don't really see the upside for attacking Obama for past drug use or ties to discredited Chicago politicians. McCain did bring that stuff up in 2008; it was largely dismissed then and there's no reason to believe that people will care now. Obama is a known quantity at this point: people know about Jeremiah Wright, they know about Ayers, they knew Obama "inhaled", etc. He's been president for nearly four years, and hasn't proved to be a radical, a rampant drug user, etc. These attacks aren't going to do anything, except perhaps drive up Mitt's unfavorables.

The other strategic issue for the Romney campaign is that by going this route, they are going to take their eyes off the economy ball. I know some pundits have become exasperated with the singular focus on the economy, but its really the only issue Romney can campaign on. Sacrificing economic talking points to focus on things we know already about Obama's past seems like a poor trade to me.

In other words, it just seems like they are being baited into switching the conversation away from their only strength. I can't help but feel that the Obama campaign would love, LOVE for Romney to respond in this manner.

Romney should instead be defending his time at Bain and telling the American public why what he did there was good for American workers and the economy. Frankly, if he can't or won't defend Bain, how does he expect his surrogates to do it?
Whacker77

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »

McCain never made some of the more unpleasant parts of Obama's past an issue.  I don't see the upside of calling Obama a coke user, but if Romney's campaign did reek of desperation, why is the race essentially tied to +1 for Obama?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »

Romney should be out there giving a three point defense of why his experience at Bain was good.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

Romney should be out there giving a three point defense of why his experience at Bain was good.

Agreed.

Granted, I (probably unlike you) am far from sure that Romney can do this, but I definitely think he should, from his perspective, if he wants to be able to be elected.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »

I think he'd be able to do it if he had better advisors. And it looks like the Romney team has recalibrated slightly, so who knows.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have never seen a Mitt Romney speech that did not sound like a greatest hits compilation.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 05:48:19 PM »

Agreed.

Granted, I (probably unlike you) am far from sure that Romney can do this, but I definitely think he should, from his perspective, if he wants to be able to be elected.

Domino's Pizza.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

Or Staples.

But I saw a Staples in Portugal the other day, so maybe that would be spun as outsourcing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies