Democrat withdraws from [MD-01] race after allegations she voted in two states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrat withdraws from [MD-01] race after allegations she voted in two states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrat withdraws from [MD-01] race after allegations she voted in two states  (Read 1120 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »

Democrat withdraws from 1st District congressional race after allegations she voted in two states
Baltimore Sun/Matthew Hay Brown
9:50 a.m. EDT, September 11, 2012

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know whether Rosen had any realistic shot of winning, but MD-01 is obviously safe R now.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

It was already safe R.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

If Republicans are smart, they can try to turn this into a big story to defend voter ID.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »

Apperently, voter fraud really happens.
timothyinMD

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »

She didn't have a shot.  I was projecting her to take about 36% and yes it is a prime example of voter fraud
BigSkyBob

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »

She didn't have a shot.  I was projecting her to take about 36% and yes it is a prime example of voter fraud

A national database of citizens could stop duplicate voting and non-citizen voting.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »

I like that idea. This would also allow us to automatically register all citizens to vote on their 18th birthday.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »

I like that idea. This would also allow us to automatically register all citizens to vote on their 18th birthday.

Unfortunately, for instance, if the database was indexed by name and social security number, all citizens would automatically be entered into the database upon applying for social security, or being naturalized and issued a citizen's-prefix  social security card, and, deleted upon the entry of their death certificate. For the SS Administration to run voter registration it would have to accurately track the movement of citizens.

Your suggestion has given me an inspiration. The various DMV's of the states could index their records to the same national database. Then, votes could be scanned to ensure that the voter is both a citizen casting one vote, and, a resident of the jurisdiction in which he is voting for a sufficient duration. That would pretty much make provisional ballots self-verifying. Those that don't drive, and, refuse to take a non-driver ID, could avail themselves of voter registration.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

For the SS Administration to run voter registration it would have to accurately track the movement of citizens.
Not really. Not if it's specifically duplicate voting you have an issue with rather than people tactically choosing where to be registered to vote (which you can't really stop outside an all-out police state).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »

Oh, certainly. Demanding that everyone vote isn't a good idea, but registering everyone is practical in the modern day and is an alright idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies