NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:29:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE1: Capital Relocation Amendment [Tabled]  (Read 3564 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2012, 01:15:25 AM by Gaius Antonius Messala »

AN AMENDMENT

To move the location of the Northeastern capital.

Be it enacted by 2/3 of the Assembly of the Northeast Region assembled.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This act may be cited as the 'Capital Relocation Amendment.’

SECTION 2. AMENDMENT

Article I, paragraph II of the Northeast Constitution is hereby amended to read:

The administrative center for the government of the Northeast Region established in this Constitution shall be [currently existing city].

SECTION 3. EFFECTIVENESS

This amendment shall go into effect upon the finalization of the capital city as designated by the appropriate legislation.

Sponsor: Sen. Scott
Debate time: 72 hours
Debate ends: 3pm, Sunday 22 July
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:44:34 PM »

Basically, this amendment establishes the cornerstone for the capital redevelopment project.  I encourage the Assembly to determine a city for which to expand and build the capital in (not build a completely new city, as the last legislation would have done), and then write it into the amendment.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »

Obviously, I will encourage us all to support Buffalo.. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

This is a fair amendment.

I would suggest New Haven, CT.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:54:10 PM »

I second this proposal!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »

I really don't care what the capital is. I'd say Rochester, but that's just because I'm not able to drive.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

I second this proposal!

Count me in support.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »

I would only support the construction of an entirely new capital. New Haven, Buffalo, or any other city does deserve to be burdened with the task of capital, especially long-suffering cities like these. Especially with the surely half-baked construction that shall follow and sure-to-fail modern urban renewal strategies, all that shall occur is the destruction of the preexisting urban fabric. Greenfield construction is the only option.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »

I would only support the construction of an entirely new capital. New Haven, Buffalo, or any other city does deserve to be burdened with the task of capital, especially long-suffering cities like these. Especially with the surely half-baked construction that shall follow and sure-to-fail modern urban renewal strategies, all that shall occur is the destruction of the preexisting urban fabric. Greenfield construction is the only option.

I also supported the construction of a new city for the capital, but that didn't get through the Assembly last time.  We have to compromise.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

I also supported the construction of a new city for the capital, but that didn't get through the Assembly last time.  We have to compromise.

This attitude is emblematic of a major problem facing our society, which is a fear of commitment. Rep. Winfield and Mr. Cincinattus fears what might happen if we stop running surpluses. We issue bonds, and so what if we run a bit over budget? We need something done, and we are going to get it done. There is a predilection for half-baked patch ups and repairs as opposed to comprehensive replacements and solutions. This extends beyond mere infranstructuture (but it certainly is what turned ours into the embarrassingly backwards systems they are today), into our business and personal lives.

Shall we go to another city in this region, undoubtedly based upon outdated and autosarcogaphic suburban and "urban renewal" models of planning. Shall we jam that unfortunate locale's highways or cul de sacs? Or shall we invest in a city designed for the project of governance, meant for official business? One that will show others the way forward in urban planning? I say we should, and escape this debilitating epidemic of small-mindedness, as I said before.

Compromises lead to disappointments that please no-one.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 06:26:57 PM by Senator Scott »

This attitude is emblematic of a major problem facing our society, which is a fear of commitment. Rep. Winfield and Mr. Cincinattus fears what might happen if we stop running surpluses. We issue bonds, and so what if we run a bit over budget? We need something done, and we are going to get it done. There is a predilection for half-baked patch ups and repairs as opposed to comprehensive replacements and solutions. This extends beyond mere infranstructuture (but it certainly is what turned ours into the embarrassingly backwards systems they are today), into our business and personal lives.

Shall we go to another city in this region, undoubtedly based upon outdated and autosarcogaphic suburban and "urban renewal" models of planning. Shall we jam that unfortunate locale's highways or cul de sacs? Or shall we invest in a city designed for the project of governance, meant for official business? One that will show others the way forward in urban planning? I say we should, and escape this debilitating epidemic of small-mindedness, as I said before.

Compromises lead to disappointments that please no-one.

Perhaps, then, we can get the consent of the people who live in the city or the mayor before we build our capital within their border.  If the city agrees with the proposal and isn't concerned about any problems arising from urban renewal, then we can build from that location.  But if we are unable to come up with a bipartisan method of establishing the new capital, then we might as well abandon the project completely.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2012, 08:33:33 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

Further to the remarks from Senator Scott, I do believe that compromise is the only answer to the issue of a new capital.

I would further propose that New Haven be named as the new capital, following discussions with the city, of course.

My suggestion of New Haven appears to be gaining support as the new capital location.  New Haven is a beautiful city and is conveniently loated for a capital.

We should find a suitable location in the vicinity of New Haven and build a new capital area from scratch, with all the builings and amenities necessary for a modern, efficient, and attractive capital area, befitting the Northeast Region.

We need a mechanism in place, however, to control cost overruns, so I would like to see The Winfield Doctrine become law before proceeding with any new capital construction.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

If we put it in New Haven it will have to be neo-gothic. In retrospect Rep. Winfield's proposal sounds good.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

(Sent via email, as I am at this time in the air enroute to Liechtenstein.  I wish to express my thanks to Vice President/Secretary of External Affairs Kalwejt for making available to me one of the departments private jets for the trip to and from Liechtenstein.)

A neo-gothic designed capital area would be most impressive, Mr. Simfan.

I would fully support your recommendation for this design.  It would fit in beautifully with the architecture of New Haven.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

I propose an amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

Do I declare this friendly, or does the Assembly vote on it?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

You can declare it friendly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »

Friendly.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

Very good.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

I don't have a particularly strong preference for the location of the capital.  If the capital would benefit more people by being located in Buffalo, or anywhere else, then I'm okay with this.

More opinions on this would be appreciated.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

Representative Simfan, you are the main proponent of a new capital.  Would you rather Buffalo than New Haven?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 06:59:58 AM by Mid-evil carnival ride »

I'd rather New Haven, it is more central.

Debate extended 48 hours.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »

I completely agree with Nix.  Buffalo's continued decline over recent decades has significantly impacted this entire region.  There is a strong desire, and hope, that major development will once again become viable in not only the city of Buffalo, but surrounding areas, including Niagara Falls.  While I admit, Buffalo isn't a hub like New York City, we are known for our architecture, our history, and for the potential that exists within this region.  If you all believe in truly revitalizing not only a city, but an entire region, than Buffalo far exceeds most cities in such potential. 
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 12:35:09 PM »

Moving the capital to Buffalo sounds great, as our assembly is looking formost for revitalizing declining culture. I'm in favor of Nix's idea.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 02:33:00 PM by OBAMA = NIXON II »

(via email from Vaduz, Liechtenstein)

We should strike a commission to see if a suitable location exists for a new capitl area in the greater New Haven area before we run head over heels to Buffalo.

New Haven is ideally situated for a Northeast capital area, whereas Buffalo is too remote, take that as you will.

I am confident we can locate the suitable square mileage required for a new capital somewhere in the greater New Haven area.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies